Labour Party Leaked Report & the Inquiry

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
As UK-based forumites may know, the UK Labour Party ordered a report in the last few months of Jeremy Corbyn's tenure, which intended to investigate the handling of complaints of antisemitism. It was leaked to media outlets in April this year.

Among other conclusions, it states that there was internal hostility to Corbyn's leadership with hampered the party's efforts to tackle antisemitism (this is at odds with the claims of several party whistleblowers). It quotes WhatsApp messages from Labour staffers which seem to indicate that they were working against their own party's success;

Labour Party staffer said:
"they are cheering and we are silent and grey faced [because of the Labour Party's unexpected success in 2017]. Opposite to what I had been working towards for the last couple of years!!"
(A large amount of other messages are available to view here, including Labour's head of political strategy & head of press hoping their party polls badly and celebrating polls that showed Labour doing poorly).

The report was intended to be a submission to the EHRC, but was not submitted. Fast-forward, and the new Labour Party leader Keir Starmer has ordered an inquiry (headed by a QC) into the contents of the report, including the claims of internal sabotage. The deadline for submissions to this inquiry was yesterday.

OpenDemocracy has a letter written by one of those who has made a submission, which you can read here. It contains a wealth of additional details of party staffers working against their own party--

* The Offices of the Leader of the Opposition were gutted of their contents, including numerous PCs, before Corbyn and (former Shadow Chancellor) John McDonnell took residence. Setting up these offices was the responsibility of Labour HQ.

* Hiring decisions were frequently blocked by HQ. The Office of the Leader of the Opposition had only about half the staff of (Corbyn's predecessor as Leader of the Opposition) Ed Milliband.

* Party Officials directed to set up social media posts intentionally designed them to be seen only by Corbyn's team, so it would look as if they had done their job but the posts wouldn't go out. This detail has also been mentioned to the Sunday Times;

Anonymous Party Official said:
"They wanted us to spend a fortune on some schemes like the one they had to encourage voter registration, but we only had to spend about £5,000 to make sure Jeremy’s people, some journalists and bloggers saw it was there on Facebook. And if it was there for them, they thought it must be there for everyone. It wasn’t.”
* Local party officials organised events (including one to be attended by McDonnell as a speaker) in remote, hard-to-reach areas in order to suppress turnout.

* Party officials allocated funds during the 2017 election against the direction of the Leadership.

===

Now, the Labour Party's failure in 2019 was pretty big. But in 2017, according to some analyses, Labour could have been as few as <3000 votes away from victory.

So, a few things I want to discuss: How realistic would the prospect of a Labour victory in 2017 have been, if not for such internal sabotage?

And to what extent does this represent an act of fraud perpetrated against their employer?

To add to the above question: the Labour Party is the official Opposition in the UK: laws exist to protect parity of spending between the Government and the Opposition. These are supposed to protect the integrity of the democratic choice that we have. Would you agree that undermining one party (by misdirecting funds or falsifying social media posts) breaks the spirit of these laws? Should it be considered defrauding the donors who provided the money, or defrauding the electorate whose choices are no longer on equal standing?

((NB. the staffers identified in the report, I believe, have all moved on from the Labour Party. There is not much Starmer can do, I suppose, except slap on a lifetime ban. But I feel there needs to be some form of reckoning)).

Reactions: Seanchaidh

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Thatcher really did so much for the Tories grasp on power with grooming this belief upon their opposition. It would almost be respectable if it wasn't so fucking shit for everyone below the poverty line. Clever, ruthless....and we're supposed to play by their rules every time. Because all corruption is only outed 30 fucking years too late for anyone to go make any informed democratic decision. Oh how fucking convenient every fucking time.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
NB. the staffers identified in the report, I believe, have all moved on from the Labour Party. There is not much Starmer can do, I suppose, except slap on a lifetime ban. But I feel there needs to be some form of reckoning
While I'm fairly sure there might be some law that could be employed to bring down that reckoning, I think that would take time and effort to find and apply and I don't think anyone in the current labour party leadership can be bothered to expend that time and effort

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
((NB. the staffers identified in the report, I believe, have all moved on from the Labour Party. There is not much Starmer can do, I suppose, except slap on a lifetime ban. But I feel there needs to be some form of reckoning)).
Would Starmer actually be interested in doing that? The way he settled the Panorama case suggests he favors any action that would be detrimental to the Labour left even at the Labour Party's expense more generally.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Can someone explain what all of this means because I read what you posted twice and still don't. (Admitadely I'm suffering from a headache right now so maybe that's the main problem) Put it in terms that an American would understand.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Can someone explain what all of this means because I read what you posted twice and still don't. (Admitadely I'm suffering from a headache right now so maybe that's the main problem) Put it in terms that an American would understand.
Labour Party officials tried to make the Labour Party lose so they could get rid of Corbyn.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Thatcher really did so much for the Tories grasp on power with grooming this belief upon their opposition. It would almost be respectable if it wasn't so fucking shit for everyone below the poverty line. Clever, ruthless....and we're supposed to play by their rules every time. Because all corruption is only outed 30 fucking years too late for anyone to go make any informed democratic decision. Oh how fucking convenient every fucking time.
The witch is dead, but her curse lingers on.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Would Starmer actually be interested in doing that? The way he settled the Panorama case suggests he favors any action that would be detrimental to the Labour left even at the Labour Party's expense more generally.
The antisemitism accusations have been hugely damaging for the Labour Party, and it has comprehensively lost the battle in the public eye over it. Realistically, burying the episode as hard and quickly as possible is preferable to dragging it out in the public eye even longer for more reputational damage.

Pursuing the court case just gives all Labour's media opponents a field day by facilitating repeats of antisemitism claims for even longer, as well as the opportunity to pick through its internal workings in the courts to savage for additional embarrassment. Then even when Labour likely wins the case, those same opponents will simply bury the news in the smallest, dustiest corner they can and pretend it never happened.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The antisemitism accusations have been hugely damaging for the Labour Party, and it has comprehensively lost the battle in the public eye over it. Realistically, burying the episode as hard and quickly as possible is preferable to dragging it out in the public eye even longer for more reputational damage.

Pursuing the court case just gives all Labour's media opponents a field day by facilitating repeats of antisemitism claims for even longer, as well as the opportunity to pick through its internal workings in the courts to savage for additional embarrassment. Then even when Labour likely wins the case, those same opponents will simply bury the news in the smallest, dustiest corner they can and pretend it never happened.
Seems like the solution is an end to the British press.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
There's stuff worth saving at the better end. But on average, the British press is worse than most countries.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of where one falls on this particular issue, the scandal had been ongoing for many months and was doing enormous reputational damage to the party. The decision to settle was the best course of action from a damage-limitation perspective.

Labour may well have won in court (the party's lawyers have said they had a good chance). But taking that course would have ensured many more months of intense reputational damage, and the scandal tarnishing the new Shadow Cabinet rather than dying out with the old one. Fighting it may well have cost them even more in monetary terms, since the majority of costs to the party were already in legal fees.

As it is, with the decision to settle and the dismissal of Rebecca Long-Bailey, the reputational damage appears to have greatly lessened since Starmer took over.

What I find inexcusable is that there is no equivalent consideration of the other parties. The Conservative Party has a much stronger prevalence of racism, and nobody bats an eye.

I'd settle for a regulator that actually has some kind of legal power, rather than the toothless industry-approved rubber stamp we currently have in the form of the IPSO.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Labour Party officials tried to make the Labour Party lose so they could get rid of Corbyn.
Basically the same shit Democrats pulled with Keith Ellison, and tried pulling with the "the squad".

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Basically the same shit Democrats pulled with Keith Ellison, and tried pulling with the "the squad".
In the manner that all involved an election and politicians, sure. But why not also bring up the 1977 Queensland state election and Joh Bjelke-Petersen?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In the manner that all involved an election and politicians, sure. But why not also bring up the 1977 Queensland state election and Joh Bjelke-Petersen?
Probably because outside of you, me, Kwak and maybe Yoshi, no one else is likely to know who the fuck you’re talking about.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Okay now I feel like an extra who’s walked into the wrong sitcom set to canned laughter and am now unsure what to do.......
Perhaps you haven't heard. Long story short: don't go digging up Nick's Facebook account to bother him about forum stuff unless you're prepared for the big delete button.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Labour's a completely fucked organisation because the left, right, and centre of the party all absolutely hate each other and are obsessed with getting one over each other rather than trying to find workable compromises.

I support the Green Party now, that way I don't have to have any expectations of success.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Perhaps you haven't heard. Long story short: don't go digging up Nick's Facebook account to bother him about forum stuff unless you're prepared for the big delete button.
Oh. Righteo. So how about that football game last week?