Ladies and gentlemen the Power Rangers

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Phasmal said:
Fuckin' titty armour. Of course.

Oh well, I was never a Power Rangers fan anyway. This is the first I've heard of a new Power Rangers. It's not the best impression.
I don't know. It's an improvement over the old tactic of put a guy in the suit and dub in a girl's voice. It means there's (probably) female actors in there this time for stunt work.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
They look more like Killer7's Handsome Men than the Power Rangers...
You are made of win, sir! That's what I was going for. I'm all for an update and everything, but i feel they're trying too hard to appeal to the crazy cross between the Iron-Man and Dark Knight Crowd. Until they do something with those costumes; this carnation shall be known as the Punishing Rangers, The Handsome Men!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I suppose on the plus side it does look more pratical looking than just a helmet and spandex (or if they're a special ranger, a plactic shoulder armor or two)!

In saying so they are over doing it thought.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
These suits look far closer to a live action version of Guyver than Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, especially considering the article says that the suits are an alien costume.
Hell, Deadpool's suit looks closer to Power Rangers than these things.

I understand wanting to make a change from the low-budget fabric costumes from the show (even though I think they have their own charm), but I think they went too far.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
That shit does not look appealing. At all.

It looks like someone smashed together the Iron Man suit with Bayformers and added more useless shit on it.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
Am I wrong in thinking the ladies look a tad top-heavy?
...Maybe? I mean I don't see a reason to hold a lady's size against her. They are certainly overemphasized though. I begrudgingly accept the 'boobplate' as a 3D Modelling shortcut, but any costume designer who uses such things for live action without very good justification should be fired. Because they don't even have that excuse and the impracticality of the design should be apparent to anyone working with actual clothes/[fake] armor.

This kind of image really makes me question what the heck the development team is thinking. I'm all for broader appeal than "for kids" alone, but this looks like they're aiming purely for the adult audience...which is going a biiiit too far for this franchise.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
One image and everyone's a critic. When are we going to learn to stop mouthing off about stuff we haven't seen yet and wait until we see the finished product before rendering a fair judgment?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
IOwnTheSpire said:
One image and everyone's a critic. When are we going to learn to stop mouthing off about stuff we haven't seen yet and wait until we see the finished product before rendering a fair judgment?
Hahahahahahaaha you are funny. I mean... wait... you are serious right? This is the internet. It's now built on reactions at the first second and outrage at "ITS NOT CATERED TO ME!! NOOOOOOOOO, I HATE IT!!"

I am on the side of "wait until the final product", because once again, a picture means jack shit!!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The helmets are fine. I'm actually glad they kept the lips from the Mighty Morphin' suits, though I miss the dinosaur iconography.

It's the bodies that I start to run into problems. Like others have already mentioned, they look more like Iron Man suits. It's too busy visually, with loads of unnecessary flourishes. Also, the boob plates on the female leads are not practical. The point of armor is to deflect blows away from the wearer, but boob plates increase the odds that a weapon will slide inwards and pierce the chest.[footnote]Why yes, I do realize the absurdity of arguing "realism" in a setting with space magic and fights between giant robots and monsters. Thanks for asking.[/footnote]

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
The helmets are fine. I'm actually glad they kept the lips from the Mighty Morphin' suits, though I miss the dinosaur iconography.

It's the bodies that I start to run into problems. Like others have already mentioned, they look more like Iron Man suits. It's too busy visually, with loads of unnecessary flourishes. Also, the boob plates on the female leads are not practical. The point of armor is to deflect blows away from the wearer, but boob plates increase the odds that a weapon will slide inwards and pierce the chest.[footnote]Why yes, I do realize the absurdity of arguing "realism" in a setting with space magic and fights between giant robots and monsters. Thanks for asking.[/footnote]
Wonder if there for comfort rather than practicality?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
I never liked the power rangers but I did enjoy the simplicity of their costumes...this is just like the robocop reboot, desperately trying to shove a "futuristic" and "flashy" style in your face

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I realize i haven't watched Power Rangers for decades but didn't the American network make the Yellow Ranger male in the butchered version they showed? Because i think they are gonna have a hard time erasing those bewbs if they want to continue the practice!

Feb 26, 2014
IOwnTheSpire said:
But aren't we mouthing off on stuff right in front of us? I see more people criticizing the costumes than declaring that the film will be terrible.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Are they stupid or something?

Power Rangers costumes already look awesome and are already live action, you don't have to change them, at least not to that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
My god. They made it worse than the 90s movie. How do you do that?

Saelune said:
I hope Godzilla kills these things just like it did Zilla.

Oh god those lips.
WE NEED DINOZORD POWER! NOW!

*screech and stomp*

Zordon: so...reboot in five years?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Quellist said:
I realize i haven't watched Power Rangers for decades but didn't the American network make the Yellow Ranger male in the butchered version they showed? Because i think they are gonna have a hard time erasing those bewbs if they want to continue the practice!
In Zyuranger, the Yellow Ranger Equivalent was a boy named...well, Boi.

In the US version, the Yellow Ranger was split between Trini and Aisha, both women.

This is why the Pink Ranger had a skirt but the Yellow Ranger did not. As a general rule, any female Super Sentai will have a skirt, but the US company sometimes adds women to the cast.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Quellist said:
In Zyuranger, the Yellow Ranger Equivalent was a boy named...well, Boi.

In the US version, the Yellow Ranger was split between Trini and Aisha, both women.

This is why the Pink Ranger had a skirt but the Yellow Ranger did not. As a general rule, any female Super Sentai will have a skirt, but the US company sometimes adds women to the cast.
Ahh, i had it the wrong way round. That explains a lot!