Lady Sentenced for Bribing Kid with Videogame

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lady Sentenced for Bribing Kid with Videogame

A woman from Maine was sentenced to a year in prison for asking a boy to steal his mother's prescription painkillers.

It's a story heard all too often these days. A woman wanted something, and she offered everything a little boy could want in exchange. Get your mind out of the gutter, that something was a videogame. Today, 34-year-old Shannon Leathers was sentenced to one year in prison for asking a 9 year old neighborhood boy to pilfer his mother's Percosets after she pleaded guilty to the charge. First arrested on August 1, 2010, police said that Leathers promised to buy the boy a videogame if he could get her the drugs. Leathers was ordered to serve the first 1.5 months of her sentence immediately, but the rest of the sentence was suspended by the judge.

The boy followed through with the theft, and later told police that she saw Leathers scratch the name of the pill bottle. She then told him to "play stupid" if he was ever asked about the loss of the pills.

The poor little boy did everything he was asked, got the dang pills, and had to sit through the police interrogation. And I bet he never got the game that was promised by Leathers because she was arrested and probably never intended to buy him a game at all. That's the real tragedy here.

Well, that and the fact that the game he asked for was Final Fantasy XIV Online.

Source: SeaCoast Online [http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110322-NEWS-110329943]

vrbtny

Sep 16, 2009
I mean, yeah, the theft may have been justified if the game had been something decent.... like portal or Half-Life 2..... Or two worlds....

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Of all the games to ask for.... WHY?

This is pretty disturbing though.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
her 9 year old neighborhood boy
What the hell does that mean? Are our minds right to be out of the gutter?

As for the more serious side of the story, being a drug addict isn't sugar drops and rainbows and a years sentence seems pretty harsh; I guess that's why it got suspended though.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
I like the "don't taze me bro" face. A classic.

Also, THIRTY-FOUR!? I could swear she's 70 in that picture.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
HankMan said:
The REAL crime would have been giving him the game!
haha, i love all the FFXIV bashing :)

but seriously, though, was that really what he asked for? at 9, he couldn't play that game even if he got it. plus, damn, who would actually want that game?

poiumty said:

drug addiction, even prescription drug addiction, tends to age people tremendously. but yeah, i find it really hard to believe she's only 4 years older than me, even accounting for rough living.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
vrbtny said:
I mean, yeah, the theft may have been justified if the game had been something decent.... like portal or Half-Life 2..... Or two worlds....
Think I'd prefer Final Fantasy to Half-life 2.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
What did he think he was gonna do with FFXIV? He couldn't have even played it without a card and his parents knowing. He sure didn't think that one through. Yes, I know he's 9, but he still wanted to play some online game.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
VanityGirl said:
She looks... odd.
I'd need the Percoset too if I looked like her. Just.... Jesus.
And yeah, gotta agree that 9 year old has terrible taste in videogames. Of course when you were 9 did you you put a lot of research and thought into what you bought? Shit no, you grabbed whatever was shiniest and had the best ratio of swords to robots on the cover.

Anyway, bad lady got in trouble, kid did the right thing in the end, everything worked out all right.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
poiumty said:

she looks like a drug addict, that's probably why.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
A bribe is a bribe no matter what it is.

A bribe is when one offers something to another for assistance in a situation. Often related to as a malicous practice. A bribe does not need to be cash, as long as the bribed accepts the payment in exchange for the work.

And FF XIV, is that even out yet? Probably not, maybe too many people still retching because of XIII.

Blade Chunk

Feb 2, 2010
Sigh that poor kid...

It's like getting busted shop lifting Ninja Hamsters (look it up)

Not only are you a thief, liar, you also have no taste and low self esteem for not trying to get a GOOD game.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm happy to see they're stamping down on the real criminals. ¬_¬

If she can afford a game, why can't she afford some painkillers? It doesn't say in the article, unless I missed it, why she can't get them herself.

Get a pack of 12 for 41p at Asda, love!

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
EeveeElectro said:

If she can afford a game, why can't she afford some painkillers? It doesn't say in the article, unless I missed it, why she can't get them herself.

Well, Percosets are perscription... It's quite abit heavier than panodil or what ever you're thinking of

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I am preety sure the Final Fantasy XIV part was just a joke. :p Judging from the article, she just promised him any video game, not a specific one. Of course, it would be interesting what game she would have bought him had she actually had any intention of keeping her end of the bargain.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
"Well, that and the fact that the game he asked for was Final Fantasy XIV Online."

Ha ha dumbass SCADOOOSHHH! lmao could not resist!

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Robot Overlord said:
EeveeElectro said:

Well, Percosets are perscription... It's quite abit heavier than panodil or what ever you're thinking of
And she prolly could of sold em for way more than the cost of whatever shitty game she would of left him with.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
She's addicted to painkillers. Sentencing her to prison will do nothing to help her condition. She's going to be back on them the moment she's out. This is the problem with the world today. Instead of helping people we choose to simply throw them in a cell and forget about them and when they come out even more violent and crazed than before we've got no one but us to blame.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Greg Tito said:
It's a story heard all too often these days. A woman wanted something, and she offered everything a little boy could want in exchange. Get your mind out of the gutter, that something was a videogame.
Oh, good. I though you were turning into Fark for a second there.

(Your dog wants Super Meat Boy.)

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
FFXIV launched in september, if i recall, doubt he asked for it, that part was probably a joke :)

Anyways the mugshot made me sad :/

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I can see what's going on here. A 9 year old kid who hasn't been taught about stuff like this wants something and blindly steals something for the cesspit of stupid that is FFXIV Online. If it were a stranger, I hope he wouldn't have, but his neighbor? Maybe. You'd have to be a bit dull, but you're already asking for FFXIV Online, so that proves something about his intelligence.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
It's nice to see the anonimity of the internet at work.

Everyone is so shallow (even some of the more common posters, tsk tsk!) that all they care about is the lady's physical appearance.

For shame!

Furthermore, no one really knows the 'whole' story.

Is she really a drug addict? That's jumping to conclusions. There are a whole slew of possible reasons why she wanted the drug. What if she had a friend/family member in dire need of them (for pain relief)? What if they couldn't afford the hospital visit?

The thing is, I'm a pretty empathic person, and that lady doesn't look like a criminal to me at all.

She looks like she's been crying, she obviously regrets what she did. Like someone else said, throwing her in a cell is the wrong way to go about this situation.

Ahh, humanity, how woe is thee.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
poiumty said:

I know right! If I look that scabby at 34 I might just consider myself radioactive and dump myself at the bottom of the Pacific.

OT: Why? She needed a hit? Seriously, being that desperate to get hold your fix is just low.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Greg Tito said:
It's a story heard all too often these days. A woman wanted something, and she offered everything a little boy could want in exchange. Get your mind out of the gutter, that something was a videogame.
Oh, good. I though you were turning into Fark for a second there.

(Your dog wants Super Meat Boy.)
Nope. It's not Fark. My posts don't normally just vanish off of this site. If I had TF with that issue, I would be upset.

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
Interesting tid-bit, did you know you can accept as many bribes as you want legally as long as you don't do what the person bribing you wants you to do. This ***** looks like she would kill you if you did that though.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
I can see what's going on here. A 9 year old kid who hasn't been taught about stuff like this wants something and blindly steals something for the cesspit of stupid that is FFXIV Online. If it were a stranger, I hope he wouldn't have, but his neighbor? Maybe. You'd have to be a bit dull, but you're already asking for FFXIV Online, so that proves something about his intelligence.
Note: It was a joke.

PS: Final Fantasy XIV didn't have much information known at the time, so even if he did ask for it he didn't know what he was getting himself into.

PSS: It's now being created by competent players. It's no longer the huge failure it was at first.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Nope. It's not Fark. My posts don't normally just vanish off of this site. If I had TF with that issue, I would be upset.
You need to upgrade to Ultr++++**NO CARRIER**++++.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Meh, games are popular with kids, therefore they make excellent bribe material.

When I was younger it would've been shareware disks (God of Thunder, Megatron, Blake Stone, Goodbye Galaxy...fuck yeah...) or a Swiss army knife.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
vrbtny said:
Think I'd prefer Final Fantasy to Half-life 2.
I find half life 2 the height of mediocrity.

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
Percocets make people do crazy crazy things. I have heard stories about people pretending to have cancer treatment in a neighboring state/city/province/geographical unit and then go to all the hospitals in the area trying to get the narcotic. The thing is, they really look like they are a cancer patient: no hair, gaunt, weak. In the story I heard, it was a woman doing this. She actually shaved her head to look like she was going through chemo.

It's sad man.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
The saddest thing about this all...
He wanted FF XIV. Couldn't she have bribed someone with some taste?

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Crap like this is why so many people in the medical community are concerned about finding non-narcotic painkillers. It's making progress but we're still a long way away, and the candidates are dangerous and rare enough that they will not be likely to take over the market for strong painkillers.

In the interim:
At the risk of dragging a pet issue into play, how many people stop to question opponents of cannabis as a painkiller, by pointing out that they are using concerns about addiction and abuse as a justification for continuing to use opium instead?

Would any of them, given the choice firsthand, prefer to depend upon an analog of heroin for their pain relief?

"That plant is just a recreational drug, and it's addictive, give 'em some wholesome smack instead"

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
EeveeElectro said:

Because I guarantee you she doesn't need prescription painkillers, and thus wouldn't get a prescription.

We're not talking about some ibuprofen, this is the real shit, man. /twitch

AndyFromMonday said:
She's addicted to painkillers. Sentencing her to prison will do nothing to help her condition. She's going to be back on them the moment she's out. This is the problem with the world today. Instead of helping people we choose to simply throw them in a cell and forget about them and when they come out even more violent and crazed than before we've got no one but us to blame.
Usually there tends to be therapists in prison that you're required to have sessions with. Of course, that depends on if they want to get help. If they don't want to be helped, and a lot of people don't, then there's really nothing a psychiatrist can do, and like you said, they go straight back to their old habits.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Robot Overlord said:
Oxycontin is superior
Only by virtue of dosage, not a difference in chemical strengths.

Percocet / Percodan (and generics) = Acetaminophen or Asprin (respectively) and Oxycodone (usually 5mg).

Oxycontin = Oxycodone in 20mgs, 40mgs and 80mgs in regular or time-release coated pills.

Body metabolizes Oxycodone and converts it to morphine at a ratio of 1.75mg Oxy : 1mg Morphine

Pure Heroin (medically Diamorphine) has a ratio of 2 : 1

Hydromorphone (sold as Dilaudid, or generically "Hydromorph Contin") is 5 : 1 ...

The all opiates and opioids can be interpreted in terms of standardized chemical and dosage strength as (SUBSTANCE)mg : 1mg Morphine, as indexed.

I *believe* Hydromorphone is the 2nd strongest opioid, with a rather yawning gap between the 1st place heavyweight being Fentanyl (marketed as Sublimaze), which has a strength of 100 : 1 and, because of it's extreme potency is almost exclusively administered through trans-dermal skin patches. Attempts at directly ingesting Fentanyl by opiate addicts have resulted in a lot of accidental ODs.

Also, while Opiate is a catch all term for any medicine or drug that breaks down into morphine when introduced to the human system (including morphine, itself), "Opiates" is a term technically associated exclusively with drugs and chemicals synthesized with the naturally occuring alkaloids in opium poppy resin. "Opioids" are functionally identical to Opiates, but describe a class of drugs that are synthesized without using any naturally occuring ingredients - Oxycodone, Hydromorphone and Fentanyl are all Opioids.

... Just... you know, to expand on your statement... Pretty sure I've got my facts straight, but I'm just an interested layman speaking from memory, so don't take it as red w/o research...

TL;DR

Percocet and Oxycontin share the same active ingredient. Percocet just has less of it and also has some OTC stuff.