Lady Sentenced for Bribing Kid with Videogame

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lady Sentenced for Bribing Kid with Videogame

A woman from Maine was sentenced to a year in prison for asking a boy to steal his mother's prescription painkillers.

It's a story heard all too often these days. A woman wanted something, and she offered everything a little boy could want in exchange. Get your mind out of the gutter, that something was a videogame. Today, 34-year-old Shannon Leathers was sentenced to one year in prison for asking a 9 year old neighborhood boy to pilfer his mother's Percosets after she pleaded guilty to the charge. First arrested on August 1, 2010, police said that Leathers promised to buy the boy a videogame if he could get her the drugs. Leathers was ordered to serve the first 1.5 months of her sentence immediately, but the rest of the sentence was suspended by the judge.

The boy followed through with the theft, and later told police that she saw Leathers scratch the name of the pill bottle. She then told him to "play stupid" if he was ever asked about the loss of the pills.

The poor little boy did everything he was asked, got the dang pills, and had to sit through the police interrogation. And I bet he never got the game that was promised by Leathers because she was arrested and probably never intended to buy him a game at all. That's the real tragedy here.

Well, that and the fact that the game he asked for was Final Fantasy XIV Online.

Source: SeaCoast Online [http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110322-NEWS-110329943]

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I mean, yeah, the theft may have been justified if the game had been something decent.... like portal or Half-Life 2..... Or two worlds....

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Of all the games to ask for.... WHY?

This is pretty disturbing though.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
her 9 year old neighborhood boy
What the hell does that mean? Are our minds right to be out of the gutter?

As for the more serious side of the story, being a drug addict isn't sugar drops and rainbows and a years sentence seems pretty harsh; I guess that's why it got suspended though.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
HankMan said:
The REAL crime would have been giving him the game!
haha, i love all the FFXIV bashing :)

but seriously, though, was that really what he asked for? at 9, he couldn't play that game even if he got it. plus, damn, who would actually want that game?

poiumty said:
I like the "don't taze me bro" face. A classic.

Also, THIRTY-FOUR!? I could swear she's 70 in that picture.
drug addiction, even prescription drug addiction, tends to age people tremendously. but yeah, i find it really hard to believe she's only 4 years older than me, even accounting for rough living.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
vrbtny said:
I mean, yeah, the theft may have been justified if the game had been something decent.... like portal or Half-Life 2..... Or two worlds....
Think I'd prefer Final Fantasy to Half-life 2.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
What did he think he was gonna do with FFXIV? He couldn't have even played it without a card and his parents knowing. He sure didn't think that one through. Yes, I know he's 9, but he still wanted to play some online game.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
VanityGirl said:
She looks... odd.
I'd need the Percoset too if I looked like her. Just.... Jesus.
And yeah, gotta agree that 9 year old has terrible taste in videogames. Of course when you were 9 did you you put a lot of research and thought into what you bought? Shit no, you grabbed whatever was shiniest and had the best ratio of swords to robots on the cover.

Anyway, bad lady got in trouble, kid did the right thing in the end, everything worked out all right.

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
poiumty said:
I like the "don't taze me bro" face. A classic.

Also, THIRTY-FOUR!? I could swear she's 70 in that picture.
she looks like a drug addict, that's probably why.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
A bribe is a bribe no matter what it is.

A bribe is when one offers something to another for assistance in a situation. Often related to as a malicous practice. A bribe does not need to be cash, as long as the bribed accepts the payment in exchange for the work.

And FF XIV, is that even out yet? Probably not, maybe too many people still retching because of XIII.