Langdell Loses Trademarks in Finalized Judgment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Langdell Loses Trademarks in Finalized Judgment

A final judgment has been rendered against Tim Langdell and Edge Games [http://edgegames.com/], stripping him of several trademarks and forcing him to notify his licensees that he no longer holds them.

The bad news train has officially pulled into Edge Game Station: Judge William Alsup has signed off on the final judgment against Tim Langdell's game company, which had completely certain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101386-Edge-Games-Sues-EA-Over-Mirrors-Edge]," the company has been hit with a thudding and almost certainly final defeat.

The courts have now officially stripped Langdell of his "edge," "cutting edge" and "gamer's edge" trademarks, and further ordered him to inform all "edge" licensees that he no longer holds the trademarks. "Plaintiff shall notify all persons and entities with whom a licensing agreement has been obtained involving the trademarks asserted herein that the marks have been canceled and provide these persons and entities with a copy of the order denying plaintiff's motion for a preliminary injunction and the final judgment," the ruling says. Langdell has until noon on October 15 to provide a sworn statement that he has provided all such notifications.

There was a sliver of good news for Langdell in the judgment, as he won't be required to pay any damages to Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] or cover the company's legal fees. On the downside, the loss could expose him to legal action from other companies who have incurred losses and expenses as a result of his actions, although EA appears satisfied with its victory and ready to move on. "We're pleased that we've reached a settlement and can put this behind us," the publisher said in a statement. "This settlement goes a long way in protecting the rights of independent developers."

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-11-final-langdell-judgement-issued]

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
qbanknight said:
Justice has finally been served to this asshole
No, justice won't have been served until that sleaze is actually punished for his actions and publicly humiliated. I think a fitting punishment would be a 6 month sentence to live under a bridge like the troll he is.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
About time this prick got what he had coming. Let's have three cheers.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
That's EA for you: they stomp all over some tool's big idea, and then convert his screams into positive PR. Sometimes, I love those crazy bastards.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
VicunaBlue said:
So what did this guy do?
I think it was sue any and every company that had the word "Edge" in their product name.

Also, he's very lucky EA didn't force him to pay for any damages (imagine if he sued activision, couldn't resist).

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I'd like an update on the 15th to see if Langdell really does call off the bad licenses on all the indy game companies. Chances are he'll try to weedle his way around it by saying that '_ edge' is still good or that it's a different 'edge' trademark than the ones the judge canceled.

I also want to see reactions from the small game companies that were thrown into this mess. If they sue him over fraud or whatnot. Or if Langdell goes to jail.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
ike42 said:
qbanknight said:
No, justice won't have been served until that sleaze is actually punished for his actions and publicly humiliated. I think a fitting punishment would be a 6 month sentence to live under a bridge like the troll he is.
Actually, that's not a bad idea

Apr 28, 2008
Hooray for EA for destroying the guy!

Wow, never thought I would use the words "hooray" and "EA" in the same sentence...

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009

Quaidis said:
I also want to see reactions from the small game companies that were thrown into this mess. If they sue him over fraud or whatnot. Or if Langdell goes to jail.
Oh, I so hope something like that happens. That guy has been a serious cancer for games developers. I want to see him punished for what he did.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
ike42 said:
qbanknight said:
That would be beyond hilarious.

And kudos to the judge for striking down this patent troll.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I missed something, didnt I? when did all this start? and who the hell is Tim Langdell and Edge Games?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
"We're pleased that we've reached a settlement and can put this behind us," the publisher said in a statement. "This settlement goes a long way in protecting the rights of independent developers."
i dont know why, but i would have said something more along the lines of "HAH, WE RAP#D THAT BASTARD!! who the hell gets the idea that they can "own" a fu&%$ng word!? seriously the nerve on some people!!"

thank god that parasite has being dealt with! let us hope he goes to hell and what happpened to him be an example for other "smart jerks" out there

does anyone else think EA should have gone the extra mile??... i guess they are not kotick, but this ass deserves to be asked "a pony in pink or light red hue"

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
WanderingFool said:
I missed something, didnt I? when did all this start? and who the hell is Tim Langdell and Edge Games?
he´s an "smart" guy that copyrighted the word "Edge" or something like that

then demmanded several producers with the word "edge" for the rights of the name

most of them "yielded" because they didn´t had the money to pay the lawyers

but he made the mistake of taking on "Mirrors Edge" wich belongs to "EA"

he sent them a "cease and dessist" order of the use of his "Brand EDGE" in marketing that game

or something like that

you get the idea