Laptop screen keeps flickering.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tried all the troubleshooting ideas. None of them worked. Just a heads up, I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. I'm going to try factory resetting the laptop, if that don't work I'm just going to have to take it to a computer which repair shop this weekend. if any of y'all have any other ideas, feel free, but I'm most likely just going to factory reset. I'll back up whatever stuff I need to back up. Thank you.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Don't do a factory reset. The only thing it could be software-wise are the display drivers, download the latest drivers and uninstall the current ones. It's likely a hardware issue though. It could be the wires especially if the moving the screen back and forth shows noticeable effects. It could be the screen itself as well. If you have a mainly normal laptop, screen replacement is pretty easy (I used to do it at my previous job). If it's some ultra-type laptop, that can be much harder. Also, Macbooks are a pain the ass obviously.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Can you be more specific about the flickering?

Do you mean it turns off an on in rapid succession, or does it just rapidly dim and brighten? Does it happen when you're doing anything in particular?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't do a factory reset. The only thing it could be software-wise are the display drivers, download the latest drivers and uninstall the current ones. It's likely a hardware issue though. It could be the wires especially if the moving the screen back and forth shows noticeable effects. It could be the screen itself as well. If you have a mainly normal laptop, screen replacement is pretty easy (I used to do it at my previous job). If it's some ultra-type laptop, that can be much harder. Also, Macbooks are a pain the ass obviously.
Thank you. I did the whole drivers things already. I'm going to make some calls later and see how much I can get for a laptop repair. Odds are is that might as well just have to get a new laptop. I do thank you for the help.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Thank you. I did the whole drivers things already. I'm going to make some calls later and see how much I can get for a laptop repair. Odds are is that might as well just have to get a new laptop. I do thank you for the help.
I guess a better way to see if it's the display drivers is going into the BIOS and seeing if the screen flickers there as no software or drivers are loaded at that point.

Fixing it yourself would definitely be under $100. You can find a good laptop for at most $400 these days if it's not for gaming. I bought a Ryzen 5 laptop last year for exactly $400 and it'll play anything that has PS3-level graphics.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess a better way to see if it's the display drivers is going into the BIOS and seeing if the screen flickers there as no software or drivers are loaded at that point.

Fixing it yourself would definitely be under $100. You can find a good laptop for at most $400 these days if it's not for gaming. I bought a Ryzen 5 laptop last year for exactly $400 and it'll play anything that has PS3-level graphics.
just a heads up, my laptop works fine now. It stopped flickering on Thursday and hasn't done in ever since that wednesday. I do think you again for the advice.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Just a quick heads up: I have something similar that happens from time to time with my own laptop if I leave the lid down too long while it is running but I am not sure if you can fix it the way I fix it.

My Dell Precision laptop comes with a pre-boot diagnostic window I can access by turning on my computer while holding shift and repeatedly running the screen diagnostic tools which does some actual hardware level bullshittery that eventually resolves the issue. I cannot say what it is and Dell have been less than helpful, for an enterprise laptop on warranty no less, holy hell!

Check to see if you have a similar pre-boot window.