Larian Reveals Divinity: Original Sin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Larian Reveals Divinity: Original Sin

The long-dormant Divinity RPG series is making a comeback.

All the way back in 2002, Belgian developer Larian Studios released the oddly-named isometric action-RPG Divinity 2: Ego Draconis [http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Divinity-Pc/dp/B00007BGQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338240941&sr=8-1], came out in late 2009, but eschewed the isometric view and conventional Divinity gameplay in favor of a more console-style third-person perspective, presumably to attract a more mainstream audience.

I don't know how successful that venture actually was, but the fact that the newly-announced Divinity: Original Sin is returning to the top-down style of its older predecessors speaks volumes. To further emphasize the connection, the ending of Original Sin will lead directly into the events of Divine Divinity, making it a prequel rather than an actual sequel. The new game will "address frustrations with Divine Divinity," according to Larian chief Sven Vincke, although how anyone could possibly still be sore about the game, or even remember those frustrations with any sort of clarity, is beyond me.

[gallery=729]

One feature it will share with Beyond Divinity is a two-player approach. Original Sin will feature two lead characters, a woman resurrected from the dead with no apparent memory of the world around her, and a man described as "a hulking mass of muscle once consigned to a life of eternal torture." The game is actually designed to be played by two people simultaneously, so how it will go down with just one person at the wheel remains to be seen.

Divine Divinity was a really good game, undercut somewhat by a goofy title and the near-complete anonymity of Larian, but Beyond Divinity was less than memorable (aside from that remarkably bad voice acting) and Ego Draconis wandered a little too far off the ranch to really satisfy as a Divinity game, so the idea of a return to the original style, "prettified" and taking advantage of the great improvements in technology, is an exciting one indeed. No word on release target or platforms, but we'll definitely keep you posted.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/28/divinity-original-sin-announced-top-down-rpg-to-address-frustrations-with-divine-divinity/]

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nice! The Divinity series has been thoroughly enjoyable for me, so more is always welcome.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, interesting. One of my issues with Beyond Divinity was that you didn't really get to choose a character but got handed their protaganist(s), which is something they are continueing in the sequel, or prequel rather. What's more it being a prequel means that they aren't moving the story or world forward... so my interest is minimal as much as I liked the original "Divine Divinity". At least superficially it seems like it's going to be even more streamlined and mainstream than "Diablo 3".

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Divine Divinity was a worthy sequel to the Divinity series; it came out really well on it's own and added to the world while seeming fresh with new ideas and mechanics. Only problem I had was the expansions ending was terrible (How it ended the same way no matter what happened... And there were little difference between the two). Although I played it after the re-vamp

Going back to the Diablo style? Well, I still gasped and went "Hell yeah!" reading the title.

Now if only KoA got a sequel

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I actually really liked Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga though I haven't played much of the original game. Also I'm still excited about the Dragon Commander game they showed a while ago. Still I'm fine with whichever comes first.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
A new Divine Divinity game! Oh fuck yeah! But it has two fixed characters which can't be customised and leaves no room for roleplaying? Oh, well, that's ok I guess. Not every game can have that I suppose, though few do anymore. And they're scrapping the dark and dank old-school graphics for something shiny and colourful, trying to emulate Diablo III or Torchlight? Well I don't like it but I suppose it's a good move to attract a wider audience, I guess... Wait, it's a prequel that won't advance the over-arcing plot in any way shape or form, making the game almost completely pointless from a narrative standpoint?

Fuck it then, I'll just play the first one.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
I thought they where in development of that dragon commander game at the moment. Although i guess its not really exclusive to one or the other