Larpers trying to buy castle as permanent harry potter-themed game-location.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
You may or may not have heard about the two Harry Potter-themed LARPs which were held in Poland last year.

Now, the two danish and polish LARPing organisations are trying to crowdfund two more games and this time, with the ultimate ambition to buy their very own castle as a permanent game-location.

Any thoughts on this? Would you perhaps participate in such a game if given the opportunity?

Source: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/college-of-wizardry-as-real-as-wizard-school-gets

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You know what, God bless them. If they think its really worth spending $175,000 to pretend to have magical powers, I say go for it! It'll be like Space Camp, but without the science or learning.
Get back to me if they ever actually use magic.

P.S. I wonder what would happen if people showed up as other cosplay. Like, what would happen if 100+ storm troopers just took the place over. Or if someone just stood in the halls dressed as Freddy Fazbear.

P.P.S. Actually it might be worth it to go if I dressed up as Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way and treat everyone like bisexual vampires.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Sounds fun. Good for them.
Hm, i'd be down for a game or something but I ain't got them sweet robes.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
P.P.S. Actually it might be worth it to go if I dressed up as Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way and treat everyone like bisexual vampires.
Oh man, you're killing me. If that happened, I'd have to be Dumblydoor and ask "what are you motherfuckers doing here?!"

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Signa said:
Oh man, you're killing me. If that happened, I'd have to be Dumblydoor and ask "what are you motherfuckers doing here?!"
Don't forget your Avril Lavigne robes.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Silentpony said:
Who?

That's cool they want to buy a castle and all but real Larpers build their own castle the medieval way. I wish I had a castle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bat Vader said:
I think its a reference to myimortal a (in)famous satirical fanfic from way back when

OT: aside from Harry Potter you could rent it out for a lot of LARP'ing themes

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
You know, the idea of LARPing around at some random field never appealed to me. Doing it at a real castle though, that sounds pretty fun. I'd probably try it out if I actually lived anywhere near there.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Silentpony said:
P.S. I wonder what would happen if people showed up as other cosplay. Like, what would happen if 100+ storm troopers just took the place over.
Um... REPORT: The Galactic Empire captures Harry Potter larping castle! Emperor Palpatine could not be reached for comment.

OT: Sounds like a lot of a fun for a lot of people, so more power to them.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
If I were a billionaire I would buy them a castle so long as I got to play headmaster at every event. Frankly that sounds awesome as shit.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Shit, who wouldn't want their own castle to pretend to be a magical wizard in?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
That sounds like an epic sort of nerd feat, I wish them luck.

Though as another poster mentioned, the idea of a raid by a different sort of fictional cosplay group does have hilarious implications. May be because I am tired and the idea of a few stray freddy fazbears lurking in the corners to totally break immersion into their roleplaying is making it hard to stop laughing.

Does sound sort of fun to check out though. If they manage it well, it could easily gain a reputation for a nerd tourist spot of sorts.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
But...but... castles are for history and visiting... when I go to a castle I want to hear about the battles that involved it, the people that lived in it, and the importance it had... Go to Warwick Castle in the UK and you can watch a live trebuchet fire a flaming ball across the grounds... not a bunch of kids running around dressed in capes holding sticks... If I wanted that I would go to a nursery school.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I don't think these are quite aware how much money it takes to keep a castle going. They might be able to buy one but won't be able to afford to run it

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
But...but... castles are for history and visiting... when I go to a castle I want to hear about the battles that involved it, the people that lived in it, and the importance it had... Go to Warwick Castle in the UK and you can watch a live trebuchet fire a flaming ball across the grounds... not a bunch of kids running around dressed in capes holding sticks... If I wanted that I would go to a nursery school.
You could join the army. Lots of holding sticks and dressing in capes there. House of Lords springs to mind too.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
albino boo said:
I don't think these are quite aware how much money it takes to keep a castle going. They might be able to buy one but won't be able to afford to run it

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
You could join the army. Lots of holding sticks and dressing in capes there. House of Lords springs to mind too.
Well... I am already in the RAF! :p Plenty of sticks, but don't see to many capes though; something about being sucked into engines...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I having having their very own castle is abit too ambious. I mean even if they did had their own castle, they would have to renovate it and aswell paid for any repair they may encounter.

OT- I admit, I thought it sounded silly at first but the more I watched it, the more I would support and partake in it (hoefully I can stayed in character long enough when it's over).

In saying so I would sooo joined in if it was more like a fantasy theme (school for adventural) as in swordmen, wizard, archer and rouge etc.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
Vault101 said:
OT: aside from Harry Potter you could rent it out for a lot of LARP'ing themes
This. Holy crap, all of my this.
I currently do Belegarth... More combat and basically NO role playing. While I'd appreciate some role playing, it's fine.

Seriously, good for these people!!! Taking the love of something, making it grander and more open... Living the dream.

Living the dream.