Last Chance to Vote in Round 1 of the Reader's Choice Game of the Year

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Last Chance to Vote in Round 1 of the Reader's Choice Game of the Year

The Battle of the Cuatros is going strong, with Saints Row 4 duking it out against Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. The 4th open world gangster game still ostensibly stars the members of the 3rd Street Saints gang, but there's heavy sci-fi elements as you fight through a Matrix-like world and a new starring role for veteran thespian Keith David. There's also some simulations going on in Assassin's Creed 4, but this time you embody a pirate in the Caribbean plunder loots and sinking ships. Both are open-world collection fests, both have a "4" in the title, but only one game can win.

The results as of publishing:

Saints Row 4

46.5% (1974)

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

53.5% (2269)

Talk about this battle at the forum thread here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/658.835130-Round-1-3-Saints-Row-4-vs-2-Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag]

Pokemon X & Y vs. Tomb Raider

It may be a hard thing to compare the RPG with strong turn-based battles that is Pokemon against the gritty adventure of Tomb Raider, but that's what we're all about at The Escapist! Hard choices! There's a lot of Pokemon support here, but Lara Croft's origin story had a lot going for it this year too. One is a tried and true formula for gaming success, while the other tried something new by bringing a female lead to the forefront of a AAA action game. In perhaps the closest race right now in The Escapist's Reader's Choice Game of the Year bracket, which game will reign supreme?

The results as of publishing:

Pokemon X & Y

52.1% (2112)

Tomb Raider
47.9% (1942)

Talk about this battle at the forum thread here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/658.835128-Round-1-3-Pokemon-X-Y-vs-2-Tomb-Raider]

And if any of these results seem off to you? Well, then head over to the official bracket and make your choices now! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/10] Voting closes at 11:59pm EST tonight! There's only a few hours left!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
I came here wanting to vote but I just now realized that I haven't played a single one of these games... What the hell have I been doing all year?! I'm seriously not trying to act like I'm above it all or anything because a number of the titles here I'm legitimately interested in... I guess I've just been playing crappy games haha.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I voted for AC4 in the official bracket but SR4 on my own because I thought it would win. Guess I was wrong.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
XCOM was barley winning yesterday now it's down 500 votes? Where did these magical 500 members come from?

Ether people have been making a whole bunch of dupe accounts to rig this or getting all their friends to create accounts and vote the way they want.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Angelous Wang said:
XCOM was barley winning yesterday now it's down 500 votes? Where did these magical 500 members come from?

Ether people have been making a whole bunch of dupe accounts to rig this or getting all their friends to create accounts and vote the way they want.
The YouTube guy I linked in this post has actually been sending a LOT of people to vote for Papers, Please. That's where the boost has come from, now it's up to you to vote for XCOM!

Greg

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
XCOM:EW & Tomb Raider? What is it about my two favourite games of this year that has them both losing?! Is my liking a game a bad omen or something?

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
The_Darkness said:
XCOM:EW & Tomb Raider? What is it about my two favourite games of this year that has them both losing?! Is my liking a game a bad omen or something?
That is what happens to those who oppose glorious country of Arstotzka.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
[REDACTED said:
]
The_Darkness said:
That is what happens to those who oppose glorious country of Arstotzka.
I've never even been to Arstotzka!!! I have nothing against the Arstotzkians!! Heck, I defended the entire planet - including them - from an alien invasion!

To make a more serious point, despite all the good press surrounding it, I haven't yet played Papers Please. However, XCOM: Enemy Within ended up stealing 100 hours of my time, and I enjoyed every minute of it. (Yes, that was just the expansion pack. I'd already lost a similar amount of time to Enemy Unknown.) Hence why XCOM gets my vote.

Though to be honest, it's the thought of Tomb Raider losing that I'm more gutted about (as far as one can be gutted about a popular vote GOTY contest...). Lara Croft's re-imagining hit me hard, in a good way, so I'd be thrilled to see it win GOTY. Judging by the stats, (and The Last of Us almost certainly being in the next round,) it isn't going to win GOTY, but I'd like it to get past a single round, at the very least. (Tomb Raider does only have 184 votes to make up in less than a few hours... It can do that, right?)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
.........really?

AssCreed 4 beat out SR4? I thought SR4 was supposed to be one of the greatest games ever.

Le Sigh......