Latest Ghost In The Shell Gets 8 Minute Video Reveal

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Latest Ghost In The Shell Gets 8 Minute Video Reveal

Gorgeous as always, but Production I.G. are going for a new look with Motoko.

Welcome to Arise, the latest installment in the here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122122-Ghost-in-the-Shell-MMOFPS-Due-In-2014].

Ghost Pain, the episode you're looking at, starts with a bomb attack that kills an arms dealer who might, or might not, be linked with 501 Organization. Aramaki of Public Security brings in Kusanagi to help the investigation, but she's working in partnership with Batou - who's convinced she's a criminal - and Detective Togusa, who thinks his murder investigation is linked with the wider conspiracy somehow. Before you go nuts, bear in mind that this one isn't scheduled for release outside Japan yet; but there will be Japanese Blu-Rays with English subtitles on sale from July 26th. The Japanese theatrical release is slated for June 22nd.

So if you should happen to know of a way to get those discs, well ... enjoy!

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/watch-the-first-8-minutes-of-the-new-ghost-in-the-shell-513346473]

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm digging the Major's new look.

Not nearly as... buxom, as her Stand Alone Complex version :D
So I geuss that means their were fake[footnote][sub]God... I hope someone gets that...[/sub][/footnote]...

Anyways, Im diging were this is going, look forward to seeing more.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This looks really good so far. I'm guessing in this version of the story she didn't meet Batou (among others) in the military. The art style looks a lot better than some of the earlier images they released.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
It looks mighty interesting but I have one question:
Wasn't it Motoko who recruited like half the team to work for Section 9? I distinctly remember Saito being her foe in a sniper duel (in a warzone at that) and I think Ishikawa also got recruited instead of going to jail for hacking. How are they connected to her time before Section 9?

But I like the possibility of this showing why Section 9 snatched Togusa from the police force.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The voice actress for the Major sounds familiar. Having looked it up, she is the same person who previously voiced a younger version of her before.

Her new look is interesting, she has an almost Lisbeth Salander look to her. It's quite fortunate for them that as the series involves her body being synthetic, they don't even really need to "justify" the changes.

Got to love how she is still as unflinchingly a BAMF as always.

Although it seems a little odd to Retcon certain things though, the way it looks so far, it wouldn't have been a stretch to keep it within the same canon. Not that I am against reboots, but seeing as it's a prequel, it'd be easy to keep within the same canon.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Don't even try a continuity discussion. The series stand on their own and are in no relation to each other or the movies.

I'm so not digging the art. Everyone else seems pretty close to what was established in the movies or Gits:SAC yet only she looks like directly ripped from Sky Crawlers.
Not to mention that it makes no fucking sense to build a military grade cyborg that looks like a teen.

Story might turn out good but her design is atrocious.

And for the record I hated her look in Gits:SAC as well.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hmm, I'm on the fence on the new look but I guess it makes sense if it is set before everything else and she is heavily modified toboot. And it also reminded me that I've not watched through Solid State.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
They really love to start the show with 2 helicopters flying towards a distant city!

Didn't even realize they were making more GitS. Looking forward to this if they have the same voice cast, English and Japanese i'd be lovin' it. :sadface:

edit: holy hell why did they give Saito a mohawk? So its a prequel?

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
She looks like a child, and she's somehow the only one who looks like a child. Everyone else looks pretty much the same. The Major looks a lot better in the anime IMO. Although, she dresses better in this. I'm still looking forward to this, since I've seen the anime and the previous movies.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
That fight was brilliant! I haven't watched any Ghost in The Shell material since the first movie released here in North America, and I read some of the graphic novels back then, too, so I'm probably a bit behind the times.

Who controlled the robot crane to make it smash that assassin robot- was it Kusanagi? I didn't quite follow the story as it was unfolding, not being able to speak Japanese. It looked like she stopped the crane during the excavation, but I wasn't sure.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm not sure about this new look either, and without the tachikomas likely there for comical relief.... however, I remain optimistic. GitS is GitS. The more the better.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Yay! Too bad when it does come out it won't be released in any decent quality in a place where I can watch it for half a year!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
the December King said:
Who controlled the robot crane to make it smash that assassin robot- was it Kusanagi? I didn't quite follow the story as it was unfolding, not being able to speak Japanese. It looked like she stopped the crane during the excavation, but I wasn't sure.
Although it does not outright say it, I believe that she was supposed to have hacked it. She stopped it moving to confront them, and then used it to attack the assassin as conventional means weren't working.

I watched the first few minutes in pure Japanese as well, before realising that "captions" is Youtube speak for subtitles.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Legion said:
The voice actress for the Major sounds familiar. Having looked it up, she is the same person who previously voiced a younger version of her before. Her new look is interesting, and it's quite fortunate for them that as the series involves her body being synthetic, they don't even really need to "justify" the changes.

Got to love how she is still as unflinchingly a BAMF as always.

It seems odd to Retcon certain things though, the way it looks so far, it wouldn't have been a stretch to keep it within the same canon.
Well, from what I can gather the original feature-length Ghost in the Shell is an entirely different canon from the Stand Alone Complex stuff, so perhaps this is set in the same canon as the original, or maybe even a whole new one of it's own? If they can do it once, they can do it again.

Apr 28, 2008
This makes me want to replay ONI.

But then I remember I can't because I can't find my disk. I wish it was on GoG :(

Anyway, this looks sweet. Always liked GitS, hope this is just as good.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure it is going to be a new canon. Like how the manga, film and Stand Alone Complex are all different canons. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully the English dub will be good. I'm just not sure about having her be a teenager, still I'll wait and see, could go either way.