Latest No Man's Sky Trailer Shows More Planetary Diversity

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
TheSniperFan said:
sonicneedslovetoo said:
It reminds me of an old game I used to play called "Noctis" in which you flew around space and visited very primitive procedurally generated worlds. Sadly Noctis doesn't run on 64 bit windows.
EDIT: it seems you can get it running on dosbox with some tweaks.
Why not just download Space Engine [http://en.spaceengine.org/] aka. Gorgeous Wallpaper Simulator? It's free.
You can seamlessly travel between a mind-bogglingly high number of galaxies, that all consist of a mind-bogglingly high number of star-systems, that are made of all kinds of celestial bodies and you can land on every single on of them, start, pause, reverse time and wait for the underlying function to render your current view in wallpaper-grade quality before taking a screenshot.

It's an amazing piece of software.
That was the crazy thing about Noctis back in the early 2000's there were 78 billion stars you could visit through the magic of procedural generation its hugely impressive for a dos game even if today it looks extremely primative. However I do plan on checking out space engine which I've heard about but never really given much time to.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
Now, on the other hand, I've actually only started looking into this game recently, and the last thing I saw about it was that trailer a while back of someone just running around cataloguing things. One major question I have is how the multiplayer works (is there any?) because if it is MMO style but with the current show control scheme, yay. If it's just a join a server multiplayer, still yay. If it's single player? Eh. It'll still probably be awesome, but not as fun as working with others.

Then again, information on what the hell this game actually IS and what you actually DO is fucking hard to find. If anyone is able to correct any of my glaring misconceptions, please do.
On the subject of cataloging and multiplayer:

Cataloging is one of many ways of making money in the game. Exploring the planet, scanning lifeforms and points of interest, then uploading them, will give you cash. If you do this enough on a single world and it's lifeforms, you'll be able to re-name it. And everyone will see the planet you've explored and creatures you've named.

There is multiplayer in the game. But it's quite far from a typical MMO. There's no server joining, for example. From what I gathered, the game will use a form of 'invisible-matchmaking' that will unknowingly pair you with a group of other people based on what region of space you are in. Have you ever played Journey? It'll basically work like that. If you haven't played it - Well what happens is that as you play the game, you'll eventually be matched with someone without any indication of it happening. You're playing the game, and suddenly you stumble across someone in your game with you.

It'll be hard telling just how many of those ships you'll see flying through space minding their own business will actually be other players. Based on how huge the game is, randomly stumbling upon another player is actually an unlikely event.

Imagine how you'd feel catching a glimpse of something moving off in the distance, on the surface of a dead and barren planet, after exploring an uncharted region of space by yourself for weeks.

As of right now, the game won't have a simple 'join' feature to play with your friends instantaneously. It is possible to play with friends... though you'd have to plan a rendezvous yourselves. Given that you start on random edges of the galaxy, you could potentially have to cross thousands of light-years of space to see your friend. (Though the devs did say they're open to the idea of having a streamlined coop system.)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Only thing i hate are the sentinels.....so boring shooting robots. Though love everything else, the scale and variety of animals. One thing i ask is are there any human colonies on planets? Can we piss off primitive alien humanoids? I think i will wait for a review before i buy it. But when i was a kid i loved Elite 2 so if its that involving but with all the landing and exploring planets then it will be amazing.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
Only thing i hate are the sentinels.....so boring shooting robots. Though love everything else, the scale and variety of animals. One thing i ask is are there any human colonies on planets? Can we piss off primitive alien humanoids? I think i will wait for a review before i buy it. But when i was a kid i loved Elite 2 so if its that involving but with all the landing and exploring planets then it will be amazing.
It hasn't been specified, however it's worth noting that Sean has at times hinted that even you, the player, may not be human- and that you might not even know WHAT you look like, until you meet another player, though that's a rumor so deeply buried I dunno if it's true- so humans might just not exist in this particular universe. Humanoids, perhaps, insofar as being bipedal and similarly shaped (I'd be surprised if they didn't include that body type in all the other templates,) but whether they have actual settlements I can't say. He did mention that the buildings in the game are also procedurally generated, however, so it's a possibility.

I think one thing that's safe to say is dialogue, or text-based communication with NPCs isn't a thing, so even if you encounter some society living on a planet, you won't likely have a means to speak with them; something that could of course be explained away with a language barrier. A lot of interactions seem to be more about action and behavior; an ally might help you, an enemy would attack you, etc, not a lot of canned dialogue to flesh it out.