Latest No Man's Sky Trailer Shows More Planetary Diversity

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Latest No Man's Sky Trailer Shows More Planetary Diversity

Will we ever see it all?

Hello Games has released a new trailer for No Man's Sky, providing some deeper impressions of the gameplay, but still leaving some questions.

No Man's Sky is a first-person space exploration game, featuring a procedurally generated open universe with an estimated 16 quadrillion worlds. Players can explore planets, cataloging the unique flora and fauna (also procedurally generated) to contribute to an archive containing the discoveries of everyone playing online. They will also recover blueprints and collect resources necessary to build and upgrade their equipment, allowing progress into the center of the universe and more unforgiving planets, while fighting protective sentinels on land and hostile forces among the stars.

This latest video spends almost as much time in space as it does on planets and examples of space combat are shown around the player, but the closest thing to active engagement on display is the destruction of an asteroid (which, in fairness, does look pretty cool). On the ground is a slightly different matter, with a brief glimpse of the player fighting a flying Sentinel drone and further exhibition of the variety of worlds to explore.

[gallery=4438]

Initially announced as a timed exclusive for PlayStation 4 at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, No Man's Sky is now planned to have a simultaneous release on Windows PCs. Specific information as to when that might be has yet to be provided.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcumrtWzDk]

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Do we actually know what kind of game this is? As in, what you actually do?

Often

Apr 18, 2010
09philj said:
From the article.
Players can explore planets, cataloging the unique flora and fauna (also procedurally generated) to contribute to an archive containing the discoveries of everyone playing online. They will also recover blueprints and collect resources necessary to build and upgrade their equipment, allowing progress into the center of the universe and more unforgiving planets, while fighting protective sentinels on land and hostile forces among the stars.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
09philj said:
From everything I've heard, including an article from APGNation that references an IGN article, anything you can imagine.

I'm already seeing myself as a pirate-hunting mercenary pilot gun-for-hire out to destroy everything that gets in my way.

Now if the game's console versions allow for custom soundtracks, I'll be blasting around to the soundtrack of the Rogue Squadron trilogy.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I should probably do all those things I been planning to do, before this game comes out.
Tell everyone how much I love them, write a novel, plant a forest, have kids, experience unconditional love, finish that album, write my last will and testament, see the Earth from...wait, is Earth in this?

Aug 1, 2010
I'm looking so forward to just chilling with this game.

Even if the more involved gameplay and combat and whatnot isn't any good, I can see myself spending hours just cruising around planets. Like a space meditation game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
09philj said:
From what I've seen, it looks like Elite: Dangerous, but with an emphasis on planetary exploration over ship and data collecting.

I'm certainly interested, by the time this and star citizen come out I'll have (maybe) gotten to Triple Elite and be allowed to play something else.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
American Tanker said:
09philj said:
From everything I've heard, including an article from APGNation that references an IGN article, anything you can imagine.

I'm already seeing myself as a pirate-hunting mercenary pilot gun-for-hire out to destroy everything that gets in my way.

Now if the game's console versions allow for custom soundtracks, I'll be blasting around to the soundtrack of the Rogue Squadron trilogy.
I'll be the fighter on the other side of the galaxy playing Awesome mix.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
It reminds me of an old game I used to play called "Noctis" in which you flew around space and visited very primitive procedurally generated worlds. Sadly Noctis doesn't run on 64 bit windows.
EDIT: it seems you can get it running on dosbox with some tweaks.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Man, the more I see the more excited I get for this.

But I do want to see some more actual gameplay mechanics footage. Show us the mining/resource gathering, the data collecting, the ship combat, the ground combat, etc. We've been overwhelmed by exciting exploration videos already, now I want to see some of the other stuff as well.

Small detail, it also helps that one of my favourite bands is taking care of the music.
IceStar100 said:
American Tanker said:
09philj said:

Probably a pure explorer for me, and ages after that some mercenary action. And sticking to the ingame music, because I love 65daysofstatic.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Man, the more I see the more excited I get for this.

But I do want to see some more actual gameplay mechanics footage. Show us the mining/resource gathering, the data collecting, the ship combat, the ground combat, etc. We've been overwhelmed by exciting exploration videos already, now I want to see some of the other stuff as well.

Small detail, it also helps that one of my favourite bands is taking care of the music.
IceStar100 said:
American Tanker said:
09philj said:

Probably a pure explorer for me, and ages after that some mercenary action. And sticking to the ingame music, because I love 65daysofstatic.
You can veeeeery briefly see a tiny (tiny) bit of mining, ground combat and a VERY tiny bit of space shooting in the most recent E3 stage demo, as well as the 18 minute long (ish) gameplay video on IGN, buuut those aspects SEEM to be be pretty simplistic, in a streamline arcadey way. Mining seems to boil down to 'shoot it and you auto-collect the resources,' with some particularly tough/valuable resources needed tech upgrades to your multitool to successfully harvest or some such. Due to the entire planet and presumably everything on it (terrain included) you can actually pull a Minecraft and burrow into the ground, which might lead to hidden resources, cave networks, etc. You can then use a crafting system to either combine elements into different elements/alloys, or turn said elements/alloys into technology modules that are basically upgrades for your suit, weapon or ship. I think an interview mentioned ships being outfitted with different classes of weaponry, but I'm not sure whether it's strictly something you can OUTFIT your vessel with, if it's something a ship just comes with based on class, or if it's something you upgrade via technology modules.

Anywho, I'm rabidly looking forward to this. @_@

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
IceStar100 said:
American Tanker said:
09philj said:

Oh, how I hope the ships are fully customizable! I want all those cute crystal frogs and sit them up on my dashboard.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Remus said:
IceStar100 said:
American Tanker said:
09philj said:

Oh, how I hope the ships are fully customizable! I want all those cute crystal frogs and sit them up on my dashboard.[/quote

You must then chase me all over the galaxy and not let people eat me.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The colouring and lighting feels overdone (burnt in even), and the music overwhelms me with blandness. Next!

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
The big thing I want to see, though, is atmospheric flight combat.
[hr]
I want to see a space battle against a group of pirates, where one of the pirate fighters begins screaming down into the atmosphere of a seemingly uninhabited world. A player chases after the pirate in their own fighter, as they both descend through the hazy clouds and into a dangerous sky as the pirate continues his high speed descent.

The player chases the pirate through a series of canyons and mountain passes as explosions rock the landscape before the canyons open up into a broad valley with a heavily fortified pirate ground base. More pirate fighters launch, as anti-aircraft cannons and missiles fill the sky with a hail of flak. More players in their own fighters and other crafts begin engaging in a deadly ground attack mission to neutralize the base defenses before more players land nearby to begin a coordinated combined arms offensive on the pirate stronghold.

The players that fight their way in on foot battle their way to the pirate base control room, and one of them hacks the remaining pirate anti-air defenses such that the turrets are now targeting pirate aircraft. This is the turning point, as the remaining pirates either flee or die.

The players then convert the pirate base into a brand new trading post where players can gather and socialize, as well as trading materials and gear. But pirates never give up that easily... They'll be back to take their old base back; it's just a matter of when, not if...
[hr]
What do you guys think? Too intense for a game that's supposedly more about exploration and mining?

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
American Tanker said:
The big thing I want to see, though, is atmospheric flight combat.
[hr]
I want to see a space battle against a group of pirates, where one of the pirate fighters begins screaming down into the atmosphere of a seemingly uninhabited world. A player chases after the pirate in their own fighter, as they both descend through the hazy clouds and into a dangerous sky as the pirate continues his high speed descent.

The player chases the pirate through a series of canyons and mountain passes as explosions rock the landscape before the canyons open up into a broad valley with a heavily fortified pirate ground base. More pirate fighters launch, as anti-aircraft cannons and missiles fill the sky with a hail of flak. More players in their own fighters and other crafts begin engaging in a deadly ground attack mission to neutralize the base defenses before more players land nearby to begin a coordinated combined arms offensive on the pirate stronghold.

The players that fight their way in on foot battle their way to the pirate base control room, and one of them hacks the remaining pirate anti-air defenses such that the turrets are now targeting pirate aircraft. This is the turning point, as the remaining pirates either flee or die.

The players then convert the pirate base into a brand new trading post where players can gather and socialize, as well as trading materials and gear. But pirates never give up that easily... They'll be back to take their old base back; it's just a matter of when, not if...
[hr]
What do you guys think? Too intense for a game that's supposedly more about exploration and mining?
That does sound amazing and like my dream game, but I'll have to agree with most people on this, and also with TB's assessment.

It seems that the game simply hasn't given enough information on how you actually interact with the awesome exploration of everything and it may end up being that while the game is a huge game of do any thing you ever want, all of those things you can do will end up being rather simplistic and boring. That could really kill this game, but I hope beyond hope that it does not.

Now, on the other hand, I've actually only started looking into this game recently, and the last thing I saw about it was that trailer a while back of someone just running around cataloguing things. One major question I have is how the multiplayer works (is there any?) because if it is MMO style but with the current show control scheme, yay. If it's just a join a server multiplayer, still yay. If it's single player? Eh. It'll still probably be awesome, but not as fun as working with others.

Then again, information on what the hell this game actually IS and what you actually DO is fucking hard to find. If anyone is able to correct any of my glaring misconceptions, please do.

EDIT:
Also, when this game does come out, shall we form some sort of Escapist Alliance? Because just seeing that fleet in the trailer made me giddy as fuck. God I hope this game is everything it can be.

It seems to be a running theme with games at the moment. I hope with all of these space games coming (Star Citizen, how you doing?) at least one of them can strike gold. This year has already been great for gaming, so I hope it only gets better.

nymz

Apr 1, 2010
The universe is too big in this game, you probably won't ever find another player and if you do it is a miracle. Even if you knew where your friend was it would take an extremely long time to get there

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
nymz said:
The universe is too big in this game, you probably won't ever find another player and if you do it is a miracle. Even if you knew where your friend was it would take an extremely long time to get there
If every single person in the entire planet bought this game (and played multiplayer) , there would be about 14,000 planets per every individual. Much, much more depending on their definition of a "quadrillion." It does seem a tad drastic.