Latest RAGE Clip Features Gorgeous Art, Inexplicable John Goodman

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Latest RAGE Clip Features Gorgeous Art, Inexplicable John Goodman

[video=3847]

Come for an in-depth explanation of RAGE's art and sound design principles, stay for the unexpected appearance of a beloved character actor.

Once again, id Software is promoting its upcoming open-world shooter RAGE with a behind-the-scenes vignette. This episodes focuses on the game's art and sound design, which, despite the cynical cries of 'net jerks, involves quite a bit more than a brown paintbrush and assorted splatter noises.

Honestly, given id's pedigree, it shouldn't come as a surprise, but there are certain vistas within the game, certain scenes, that when showcased within this video, left me stunned. Say what you will about the oversaturation of the first-person shooter genre, but RAGE, as it stands currently, is a gorgeous game.

Design-wise, art-wise, the developer has really captured the inherent dilapidation popular culture has led us to imagine as "post-apocalyptic dystopia." RAGE rules Bartertown, is what I'm saying here.

Likewise, the game's sound design (particularly when cast into deep focus, as in this clip) is quite impressive. This is one of those techy areas of game creation that when done really well, is something you won't even notice, but with the guiding hand of this clip, you can really see how much effort went into RAGE's various shouts and explosions.

Of course, all that pales in comparison to the presence of John Goodman. If you're of the same generation as I, there's just something incredibly comforting about that man's voice. Comforting, but with a bit of an edge.

It's something of a baffling choice to tap Goodman for voice actor work -- as far as I know this isn't exactly something he's known for -- but it works surprisingly well in this context. Propers to id for the excellent work there.

RAGE is scheduled to hit the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on October 4.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Wait a minute, is it just me or did I just see a clip in which John Carmack isn't saying something ridiculously complicated that we mere mortals couldn't hope to understand?

...Wow.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Having spent nearly four years thinking John Goodman was dead, this is a wonderful surprise.

Getting more excited all the time for this game.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
The game developers talking about how great their game is looking . . . how novel. It is interesting seeing (hearing) John Goodman at work in a video game. His voice really seems to fit the task well.

I have a sudden urge to play some online Borderlands.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Feels Goodman.

A-hahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahaha.

Oh, it's funny. Right, guys? Right?

*watches as everyone leaves the room*

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Simalacrum said:
Wait a minute, is it just me or did I just see a clip in which John Carmack isn't saying something ridiculously complicated that we mere mortals couldn't hope to understand?

...Wow.
Right? I was expecting something really complicated coming out of his mouth in regards to art and his tech engine, did we ever dodge that bullet!

OT: Goodman is doing this? Well hell, this is all kinds of awesome now!

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Yay! John Goodman!

Now for something a little more controversial: They still haven't sold me on this game. So far, I haven't seen anything that makes me think anything other than "id soft decided to rip off Bethesda's version of Fallout, and made it prettier" The cobbled together weapons, relentlessly gray urban environments, and well-known actors voicing seemingly small parts all feels like this project is supposed to be Fallout 4.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
John Goodman's lost a little weight; that's good. What's better is that he hasn't lost that awesome voice along with it. Let's hope he can manage to fit the line "You're out of your element!" in there somewhere.

As for the game itself... every time I see something new about it, my "DO WANT" levels spike.

batuea

Jun 30, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
John Goodman's lost a little weight; that's good. What's better is that he hasn't lost that awesome voice along with it. Let's hope he can manage to fit the line "You're out of your element!" in there somewhere.

As for the game itself... every time I see something new about it, my "DO WANT" levels spike.
there should be a Easter egg or code, where your name is Donny, and he just shouts at you like Walter from TBL the whole game.

major28

Feb 25, 2010
Your telling me I will be able to be playing an epic fps and listening to my 3rd favorite Roseanne character AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!

Nice

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
thehorror2 said:
Yay! John Goodman!

Now for something a little more controversial: They still haven't sold me on this game. So far, I haven't seen anything that makes me think anything other than "id soft decided to rip off Bethesda's version of Fallout, and made it prettier" The cobbled together weapons, relentlessly gray urban environments, and well-known actors voicing seemingly small parts all feels like this project is supposed to be Fallout 4.
I'm in the same boat, I mean, I've played Fallout 3, I've played Borderlands, why should I play Rage?

On a completely different note, yay! John Goodman!

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
major28 said:
Your telling me I will be able to be playing an epic fps and listening to my 3rd favorite Roseanne character AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!

Nice
Wait, wait, wait, Dan was your THIRD favorite?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The character that he's voicing does seem a bit to small in stature for John Goodman's grizzly bear vocals.

major28

Feb 25, 2010
megs1120 said:
major28 said:

Nice
Wait, wait, wait, Dan was your THIRD favorite?
3rd after David and Darlene (I probably spelled that wrong)