Latest Sonic Generations Clip Is A Blast Of Hot Nostalgia

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Latest Sonic Generations Clip Is A Blast Of Hot Nostalgia

I'm still not convinced that Sonic Generations is going to be a good game, but Sega sure knows how to mine my childhood for cheap affection.

For those of you coming in late, Sonic Generations is an upcoming Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 title that teams old-school, Genesis-era Sonic with his more recent (read: depressing lame) iteration. The game itself is said to feature both 2D-style Sonic gameplay as well as the more recent (read: depressingly lame) 3D-style Sonic gameplay.

Perhaps realizing that the entire profession of "games journalism" is built on cynical Sega kids just biding time until we can rail against any company audacious enough to question our precious nostalgia, Sega has offered a new trailer for the game that focuses almost entirely on highlighting Generations' copious call-backs to Sonic's earlier adventures.

To be blunt, I'm just too jaded at this point to generate any kind of premature excitement for a new Sonic The Hedgehog game. I've seen too many giant purple cats and gun-toting 'hogs to blindly trust that Sega won't ruin this whole thing in the name of appeasing some theoretical audience that certainly doesn't include anyone I know.

Sega, you've hurt me too many times in the past. I want to love you baby, but you're going to have to work to win back my trust. This trailer is a good start, but how do I know that you won't get drunk and turn Generations into a 3D fighter starring that car from Daytona USA?

Don't look at me like that. You've done it before.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
After Sonic Colors, I'm finally starting to trust SEGA again. After playing the demo, I'm sure this is going to be a good game. Not as good as the classics, but good enough that I'll enjoy playing it all the way through.

Unless they replace all the enemies with Egg Pawns like was done in Heroes.

P.S. Thanks

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like they finally took Team Sonic out back and berried the fuckers alive.
For the first time in 10 years we may yet see a proper Sonic game.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Sky Sanctuary? Loved that stage...I had a crippling weakness for that music, too.....

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Christ. I'm young enough that both of those stages fondle my nostalgia button like the cheap little whore that I am.

Wow, that...was the creepiest comment I've ever posted on this site. I'm sorry.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
Mr.K. said:
Was Colors not a proper Sonic game?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
The 2d demo felt very much like an old sonic game with HD graphics, even smoother and well-playable than Sonic 4, by far.

With a promised revisit to sonic colors gameplay, the quality footage I've seen so far,

AND MUTHUFUCKIN CITY ESCAPE! I'm going to give this a chance.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Nooners said:
Sky Sanctuary? Loved that stage...I had a crippling weakness for that music, too.....
That's their tactic!!

But honestly, I agree. The music was pulling me in, unfairly I might add. Nostalgia goggles; low blow Sega, low blow

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
DustArma[]
Mr.K. said:
Was Colors not a proper Sonic game?
Hell, is it wrong that I think Sonic 4 is a proper Sonic game? It hearkens back to the Genesis/CD/32X games extremely well. It'd be even greater if it didn't have Valve Time Syndrome and GREEN EYES!

By the way, the green eye thing was completely unnecessary, extremist Sonic fans. Just thought I'd point that out in case you haven't gotten it by now.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
They're going back to before they did things wrong so they can figure out how to do things right again. Well, whatever. This does look like an awesome game, and I'm willing to try it.