Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
By the way, this is probably fake, as the article was written in September, and we don't have these powering our houses yet.

the_abhorsen

Mar 15, 2009
I call bullshit.A) You can hear the goddamn motor whine throughout the entire video. B)The thing wobbles like hell. C)This breaks more than the first law, it shits all over general reletivity as well.

Edit: I'm also a third year physics undergrad, I know what I'm on about.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
Physics major here. It's malarkey, no laws are broken. Not that you need a bachelor's in physics to tell that, if you took a basic high school physics class and actually understood it you could tell right away why he's wrong. So many troll science threads, it makes me sad.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
There is absolutely no chance that this thing works. I am willing to bet my life savings and both kidneys on it. If you're even considering the possibility that it's real, you need to enroll yourself in a beginner's physics course.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
The_ModeRazor said:
We need to invent fucking magic, already!
'Mechanomancers know physicists are full of shit' - One of the Unknown Armies sourcebooks :p

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I believe this is the physics/engineering equivalent of all those P=NP "proofs" that crop up regularly.
The good ones use the scientific equivalent of sleight of hand to obfuscate their invalidity, the bad ones are just.... stupid.

This one, I'm afraid, falls into the later category...

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
IF this isn't a hoax, then even so it TECHNICALLY it isn't a perpetual motion machine, it's just an electricity-generating Drinking Bird. It takes forever to stop, but it will stop.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
The_ModeRazor said:
Seems unlikely.
We need to invent fucking magic, already!
Goddamnit people, why won't you listen?
I can talk to someone through attaching a device on my ear, we can make whole cities disappear, make materials move on their own, and make fire from a small flick and some liquid. You're saying we haven't invented magic yet? Bullshit, sir! We need to study it more.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Eugh, if it's real it's not breaking the laws of physics. It's using gravity to create electricity. Energy is conserved.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
...Even if it works, it's not a perpetual motion machine because the force of gravity is continually acting on it to make it keep moving. And anyway, this looks a lot like the overbalanced wheel, which failed because the torques moving the wheel clockwise and counterclockwise ended up balancing with each other.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Considering their video for the thing can't even get blank screens with words right, I really doubt that thing does shit.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Fetzenfisch said:
Ampersand said:
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that's very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.
If that works as an source for electricity it might not be perpetual, but perhaps...well a nice source for electricity?

I dont know a bloody dirt about most physics so thats just my ~211 Sao Tome Dobras .
It'd be about as effective as a wind mill, this is not exactly ground breaking.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
mance200 said:
DazBurger said:
mance200 said:
There's also that nothing can create it's own energy. The number of machines, plant life, animals, and all other living beings that can do it is astonishing.
Oh really? Name one...
Alright, there are over 45 different species of plant that do not require photosynthesis, oxygen, or nutrients via some strange motion that releases a self-made chemical that stops the requirement of all three for like a period of an hour.
Could you also name one?

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
DazBurger said:
Could you also name one?

I second the motion by my distinguished colleague DazBurger.
I too, would like to know the name of this magic flower.

Also: does it give me the ability to throw fireballs ?

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
DazBurger said:
Could you also name one?

I second the motion by my distinguished colleague DazBurger.
I too, would like to know the name of this magic flower.

Also: does it give me the ability to throw fireballs ?
Oooo! That would be sweet! Perhaps 1up mushrooms?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I want to believe this is real, but I suspect its just another case of Flieshman's cold fusion, I mean it could be that he genuinly believes he's created a perpetual motion machine, but I doubt it -actually- works, and is instead just transferring energy elsewhere.

DazBurger said:
mance200 said:
DazBurger said:
mance200 said:
There's also that nothing can create it's own energy. The number of machines, plant life, animals, and all other living beings that can do it is astonishing.
Oh really? Name one...
Alright, there are over 45 different species of plant that do not require photosynthesis, oxygen, or nutrients via some strange motion that releases a self-made chemical that stops the requirement of all three for like a period of an hour.
Could you also name one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis

Not quite what he meant, as they still require neutriants but they don't do photosynthesis. There is also that I may have misunderstood that article my state, I came to it because it made me think of deep sea smokers which I know have ecosystems inside them which feed on Sulfer as opposed to Oxygen and I went to check the page on them out, so I havent personally read Chemosynthesis page before now.

Obviously correct me if I'm wrong.