Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I, too, call shenanigans. As cool as it is, and how unbelievably amazing it would be if this were serious and real and all that, I call shenanigans.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Let me ask something:

We have all seen a magnet style one OS these, but even though they truly weren't' perpetual motion machines, they were very energy efficient.

Why have they not been used widely?

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
Probably a hoax. I know a guy who study physics who tried to work the numbers. It has also been tested before, didn't work.
If it is not a hoax and does work, we must forsake all a priori-knowledge we have. And that might lead to more bad than good.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I'll always be a skeptic but I do hope it's real.

By the way guys, stop with the entire laws of physics are always right crap, did you even know it was recently discovered that the laws of physics actually vary across the universe?

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
mance200 said:
DazBurger said:
mance200 said:
There's also that nothing can create it's own energy. The number of machines, plant life, animals, and all other living beings that can do it is astonishing.
Oh really? Name one...
Alright, there are over 45 different species of plant that do not require photosynthesis, oxygen, or nutrients via some strange motion that releases a self-made chemical that stops the requirement of all three for like a period of an hour.
So does it use energy, with losses, to create a store of energy that it uses in a 'survival situation'? That's not the same as perpetual energy, a human analogy would be expending energy to grow & store food and compress oxygen which are then used in situations of no food/oxygen.
Apologies if I've mis-interpreted how the plants do it, genuinely interested in weird lifeforms, real and made up.

EDIT: General note on the thread as a whole. If you look at perpetual motion on wiki, guys have been trying for perpetual motion for hunddreds of years. Some of the machines look great! (Don't work though, obviously)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Ickorus said:
I'll always be a skeptic but I do hope it's real.

By the way guys, stop with the entire laws of physics are always right crap, did you even know it was recently discovered that the laws of physics actually vary across the universe?
Quoted for truth, Classical ie Newtonian physics were proven wrong with the arrival of Modern or Quantum physics if I'm correct so there there is the possibility we may one day create a machine capable of creating energy from nothing with some magic element or something.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
Everyone is calling this Fake because it violates the laws of physics.

Thing is... the laws of physics we have today weren't the ones we had 200 years ago and surely won't be the ones we have in 200 years.

Is it possible to build such machine? according to today's laws of physics, no. Until it is proven to be a fake, i like to believe it is real.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Remember the Dean drive [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_drive]?
I bet this is as real as that one was.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
If the laws of thermodynamics weren't true, we would regularly observe phenomena that contradict them. The only things that ever contradict them are hoax-machines. Now, what conclusion am I supposed to draw from this?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I am doubtful. Perpetual motion devices only exist in a vacuum outside of significant gravitational stress. Internal friction and air resistance may be overcome with slight input from the washer engine, but I really doubt that it can produce more energy through the collection of potential->mechanical->electrical cycle than it inputs to ensure that it remains collecting potential energy.

If it really works, fantastic. Develop it more and lets put it to good work. But I really don't see it at this point.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Just wondering, isn't it techniquely transfering energy from Gravity (Gravatational potenal energy) and magnetic energy, not really creating energy. Could someone answer please, as I have just started physics this term.

Also, great name!

Jun 11, 2008
Em I have a question. How is this true if it were really "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?

Edit: I know that out understanding of physics has changed but nothing is really being created here just use of gravity to give kinetic energy.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Glademaster said:
Em I have a question. How is this if it were real "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?
Thats what I was thinking. Will someone please answer this conundrum?

Jun 11, 2008
team star pug said:
Glademaster said:
Em I have a question. How is this if it were real "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?
Thats what I was thinking. Will someone please answer this conundrum?
I dunno I know our understanding of physics can change and somethings that we think our true now may be proven wrong but if t his machine does work it is not really creating energy just using gravity's energy so to speak. Although I don't think gravity is classed as energy but it is using it to convert kinect energy.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Sorry, but I don't believe it. It's a fundamental law of nature, and many people have tried and failed to break it. Either a scam or delusion.

The best comment I ever saw on Youtube was on a perpetual motion machine video it was simply "Who cares if it's a scam. As long as it works". Supply your own Facepalm.