Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I also tend to think that this is a hoax, because I think it would be getting more attention if it was true. Also it doesn't appear that it's been tested, it could be bleeding off energy very slowly.

*THAT* said, for the physics snobs out there, understand that theories are proven and disproven all the time. Long standing, undeniable, principle theories have been overturned (with great difficulty) in the past. I'm not willing to accept that due to seniority that the "laws of thermodynamics" will never be proven false somehow, or worked around in such a way that they cease to matter.

Mind you, I'm not taking this on face value, and it seems sketchy to the extreme.

-

Or course then again, if your much of a conspiricy theorist, this and a lot of other world changing devices have been created before and the various prototypes and designs are held by the goverment.

The theory is that "sudden, radical change is bad" so American science is carefully fettered and released gradually, and over time. Excepting our "X Weapons" (X meaning unknown) which are held back for emergencies.

Now, I don't believe this myself (despite having been recently accused of being a conspiricy theorist), however every once in a while something kind of creepy does happen. I remember back when I was a kid there was an article on one of those news magazine shows (it might have been PM Magazine) about a London Hairdresser who had developed a form of plastic that could withstand and absorb absolutly ungodly amounts of heat, and was supposed to be superior to the shielding used by The Space Shuttle for re-entry. Never heard anything else about it again, can't prove I ever saw it. No word on whether it was a hoax, or if it worked, or anything else. Every time I hear about heat issues of any kind (unrelated to this) I think of that.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
-Zen- said:
Two words:

Prove it.
They aren't and that is the funny thing. There are no showings of how the machine works or anything like that. Either the system is getting power somewhere else or the system is incorrect. It may turn various other energies into electrical energy but it does not create energy. My guess is it is like a car battery. The car battery is recharged by gasoline being burned (see: pigeon hole). It lasts longer, but not perpetually.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yup. totally withholding judgment.

I'd like for it to be true, but every time someone claims something extraordinary, I think "hoax." At least until proven otherwise.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, people don't quite understand the term "perpetual"

That means FOREVER!

The Earth orbiting around the sun isn't even a perpetual motion machine, though it has been orbiting at effectively the same velocity for a LONG ASS TIME!

If I spin a flywheel up to 20'000rpm, floating on magnets in a vacuum, it will appear to have perpetual motion just like this. Yet stick an axle on it and try to use that energy and it will slow down and eventually stop in short time.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Either a hoax, or the greatest discovery in human history. Probably a hoax, though.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Glademaster said:
Em I have a question. How is this true if it were really "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?

Edit: I know that out understanding of physics has changed but nothing is really being created here just use of gravity to give kinetic energy.
Gravity causes the conversion of Potential energy into kinetic energy. That's fine. You drop a bowling ball from a ladder onto a pad that generates electricity when pushed down then you have turned gravity into power. Then, however you need to lift the ball back up the ladder which uses energy, more than you get when you drop it. Do you see? there is a finite amount of energy available. Once you're down you need to go back again.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Glademaster said:
team star pug said:
Glademaster said:
Em I have a question. How is this if it were real "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?
Thats what I was thinking. Will someone please answer this conundrum?
I dunno I know our understanding of physics can change and somethings that we think our true now may be proven wrong but if t his machine does work it is not really c.ing energy just using gravity's energy so to speak. Although I don't think gravity is classed as energy but it is using it to convert kinect energy.
Gravity is classified as GPS or gravatational potential energy,from what my physics classes tell me. It may be just a form of convertion though .Thank you for your answer.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
ChocoFace said:
Here's a counter: http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/Readers-correct-generator-claim/article-2674234-detail/article.html
It's a flywheel - they store energy, not generate it.
Nice counter. I still think it would be a nice toy for the Myth Busters to play around with. You know to keep'em busy, stayin' out of trouble.

Vipoid

Nov 26, 2009
If the fact that this thing looks like someone tried to replace the blades of a fan with ones made from their Meccano set doesn't tip you off that this is a hoax, then the statement that it supposedly breaks one of the fundamental laws of physics probably should. I have no doubt that any laboratories attempting to replicate the mahine to produce energy will find it impossible. Perpetual motion devices cannot exist (with the obvious exception of the one created by attaching a piece of buttered toast to a cat...)

nezroy

Oct 3, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
You can't patent a perpetual motion machine? Why not?!
Because the USPTO got tired of having to throw out patents for machines that were clearly impossible, and decided to solve the problem carte blanche. More specifically, USPTO policy is that "with the exception of cases involving perpetual motion, a model is not ordinarily required by the Office to demonstrate the operability of a device."

So the article is actually completely incorrect; the inventor COULD patent the perpetual motion machine if the model turns out to be a true working example of a perpetual motion machine. Of course, we all know the likelihood of that being true (with a big shoutout to my good buddy thermodynamics!).

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
EightGaugeHippo said:
That is amazing!

I cannot make that sound more enthusiasic as it is typed, but yeah awesome.
You can
THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!
See?

OT: If this isn't a hoax, I'm very happy!

Jun 11, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Glademaster said:
Em I have a question. How is this true if it were really "breaking" the laws of physics? Gravity is a force and as can give kinetic energy. If it is using gravity then explain to me how it is defying physics?

Edit: I know that out understanding of physics has changed but nothing is really being created here just use of gravity to give kinetic energy.
Gravity causes the conversion of Potential energy into kinetic energy. That's fine. You drop a bowling ball from a ladder onto a pad that generates electricity when pushed down then you have turned gravity into power. Then, however you need to lift the ball back up the ladder which uses energy, more than you get when you drop it. Do you see? there is a finite amount of energy available. Once you're down you need to go back again.
That is exactly what I am talking about I don't see how he is creating energy. He has the machine at a point to which gravity will bring it down and so has created potential energy.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Vipoid said:
If the fact that this thing looks like someone tried to replace the blades of a fan with ones made from their Meccano set doesn't tip you off that this is a hoax, then the statement that it supposedly breaks one of the fundamental laws of physics probably should. I have no doubt that any laboratories attempting to replicate the mahine to produce energy will find it impossible. Perpetual motion devices cannot exist (with the obvious exception of the one created by attaching a piece of buttered toast to a cat...)
Can I have a cookie for the reference

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Freemon said:
Everyone is calling this Fake because it violates the laws of physics.

Thing is... the laws of physics we have today weren't the ones we had 200 years ago and surely won't be the ones we have in 200 years.

Is it possible to build such machine? according to today's laws of physics, no. Until it is proven to be a fake, i like to believe it is real.
Santa Claus is in my kitchen. So he exists until I post some proof, just as well with Christmas around the corner!

- - - - -

OT: Thermodynamics aside, this wouldn't be perpetual motion. Eventually the oil will dry out and it will slowly lock up and stop. It looks to me in the video that by the end it's starting to slow down a bit. Just seems to be really efficient with the energy exerted to push it at the start, then again you never know til you put it in a room with no contact for 3 months and see if it slows down at all...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Glademaster said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Glademaster said:

That is exactly what I am talking about I don't see how he is creating energy. He has the machine at a point to which gravity will bring it down and so has created potential energy.
The thing is he's claiming that his system will get MORE energy out of gravity than it is putting in. That is impossible as you must always get LESS energy in these cases. Thus breaks the laws of Physics.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Freemon said:
Everyone is calling this Fake because it violates the laws of physics.

Thing is... the laws of physics we have today weren't the ones we had 200 years ago and surely won't be the ones we have in 200 years.

Is it possible to build such machine? according to today's laws of physics, no. Until it is proven to be a fake, i like to believe it is real.
So you believe everything you see or hear until someone proves otherwise. Even something provably absurd? Why?

Also the "Science has changed before so science today is wrong" is a poor argument that precludes the possibility of Science discovering truth. If the laws of Thermodynamics were to be bent or broken then it would be in the field of Quantum Mechanics, and not classical mechanics that has been studied rigorously for centuries.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I find it hard to believe that a machine that would theoretically solve the energy crisis and which has eluded scientists for decades... has been made by a bloke in a shed from Somerset, with bicycle parts... and a windscreen wiper.