Layton Creators Working on New Ace Attorney?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Layton Creators Working on New Ace Attorney?

Level 5, the studio behind Professor Layton, may have something to do with the next Ace Attorney title.

The Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games have more than a few things in common. They're largely story-driven games with an emphasis on logic and triumphing through puzzle-solving skills rather than accuracy and twitch aiming, for one, and they both have devoted cult followings. Now, if a tweet from a designer at Layton creator Level 5 is any indication, there might be something interesting going on behind the scenes.

A Andriasang [http://twitter.com/jiro_ishii/status/25366796240].

Gyakuten, of course, refers to what we call Ace Attorney here in the West. Gyakuten Saiban (literally "Turnabout Court") is the main Ace Attorney series, whereas Gyakuten Kenji ("Turnabout Prosecutor") is Ace Attorney Investigations. The Mr. Takumi referenced is almost certainly Gyakuten Saiban series creator Shu Takumi.

It is currently unknown whether the game in question is the Ace Attorney Investigations 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103693-Capcom-Teams-Up-With-JRPG-Studio-for-Truly-Interesting-Things].

All I know is that now I'm envisioning a Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover, and I think we can all agree that it would be the best game of the past five years if they did that.

(Eurogamer [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/25/level_5_ace_attorney/])

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Psychosocial said:
"Apollo Justice 2!"

You all know this is what it will be, and if you have any even slightly decent taste in videogames, you know this is not a good thing.
Taste in video games? Really?

OT: I enjoyed Apollo Justice and don't get all the hate for it.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Psychosocial said:
"Apollo Justice 2!"

You all know this is what it will be, and if you have any even slightly decent taste in videogames, you know this is not a good thing.
Yes... that was what came to my mind after my... enthusiastic response.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I really hope this isn't anything like Apollo Justice or the Miles Edgeworth games.

I feel they should either go for Phoenix Wright as an attorney, or leave his world and characters alone. That middle road just feels cheap and hastily put together.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Hmm... I really should get around to playing the first Investigations game, but truthfully, I've been a little scared to... Without the court sequences, it doesn't sound much like Ace Attorney to me...

Phoenix will still be a lawyer in this one, right? Or at least be a lawyer again, right?! (I don't care if you don't know. Just humor me.)

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
I've never played Ace Attorney before but if it was made by Level 5 then i'll get it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Psychosocial said:
"Apollo Justice 2!"

Apollo Justice was easily the worst in the series (and contrary to popular belief, I think it was *because* of Phoenix's involvement), but it was still an entertaining experience.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
John Funk said:
Apollo Justice was easily the worst in the series (and contrary to popular belief, I think it was *because* of Phoenix's involvement), but it was still an entertaining experience.
Agreed, it felt like Apollo was just riding on Phoenix's coat tails if I remember correctly, it's been awhile sense I played it. I did like it, but nearly as much as the first or last Phoenix Wright games.

As for the Edgeworth game, it was different, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly..

I am down for ANY new Ace Attorney games. :D

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Do want. This is going to be awesome.

Now if they can add in Elite Beat Agents, this will be perfect.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
sheic99 said:
Do want. This is going to be awesome.

Now if they can add in Elite Beat Agents, this will be perfect.
The new Professor Beat Attorney series? xD

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I want a new Ace Attorney that takes place in courtrooms, god damn it!

I mean, Investigations was fine, but I much prefer the courtroom battles, and though true that there have been 3 games with Phoenix, and only one with Apollo, and Edgeworth, I liked Phoenix more, and the first three games with Phoenix more.

And an Ace Attorney and Professor Layton crossover game? Well, as much as I love both of the series (currently plowin' my way through Unwound Future as we speak), thanks, but no. If they made a crossover game of those two, I would personally go and infiltrate their headquarters.

It just doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy, at all.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I loved Ace Attorney 4 with Apollo, even if it wasn't the best of the series (I think that honour goes to AA3's trilogy wrap-up). Please let Capcom be working on AA5! Then again, this could just be related to AAI2, in which I am slightly disappointed because AAI's ending dragged on until infinity and made me want to toss my DS out the window. As much as I love Edgeworth's inner musings, the game didn't shine nearly as bright as the main series, and I'm not sure a sequel would help.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Android2137 said:
Hmm... I really should get around to playing the first Investigations game, but truthfully, I've been a little scared to... Without the court sequences, it doesn't sound much like Ace Attorney to me...

Phoenix will still be a lawyer in this one, right? Or at least be a lawyer again, right?! (I don't care if you don't know. Just humor me.)
Don't be afraid for that reason. The creators were too afraid to do anything new with it anyway. So you're still getting in arguments and presenting evidence. Complete with yelling Hold It! Take That! and Objection!

In my opinion, that's actually the game's biggest flaw. They should've moved away from that, or at least tried to make it seem different. The only real difference is that there's no judge to give you a penalty, although you still get the penalty and have a health bar.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
AboveUp said:
Android2137 said:

Don't be afraid for that reason. The creators were too afraid to do anything new with it anyway. So you're still getting in arguments and presenting evidence. Complete with yelling Hold It! Take That! and Objection!

In my opinion, that's actually the game's biggest flaw. They should've moved away from that, or at least tried to make it seem different. The only real difference is that there's no judge to give you a penalty, although you still get the penalty and have a health bar.
I dunno. If they made it too different, then it REALLY wouldn't feel like part of the series anymore...

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Android2137 said:
I dunno. If they made it too different, then it REALLY wouldn't feel like part of the series anymore...
Oh, I get what you mean, but isn't that why it's not part of the main series? I don't know, to me it felt like there wasn't too much of a reason to really bring it outside of court if it used the same system used in court.

The "Logic" system was interesting though. Quite honestly, I'd want to see this return to the proper Ace Attorney series. Getting different piece of information and putting them together to have the main character reach his conclusions added something to it. Or maybe I just liked it because it was introduced with a tutorial in which Edgeworth explains to Gumshoe what logic is. Gumshoe doesn't understand it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Considering Pheonix mentioned taking the bar exam at the end of Apollo Justice, Pheonix seems likely to make a return to the courtroom. What's more, they can use the whole "it's been a long time since I've done this" angle as the excuse for the tutorial, rather than coming up with excuse for Apollo forgetting everything. What I personally want is there to be a team. Pheonix uses the Magatama in investigation, Apollo uses the bracelet in special sections, and we can have funny comments from both of them in the courtroom.

For AAI2, I say "sure, why not?" It was a good game with its own unique charms, and another one would be nice.

And to the Pheonix Wright / Professor Layton crossover: yes. yes! YES!