League Of Legends' "All Random All Mid" Mode Gets Official

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League Of Legends' "All Random All Mid" Mode Gets Official

The latest League of Legends patch adds an official matchmaking queue for the fan-favorite "ARAM" mode.

League of Legends is a very fun game with two major drawbacks. The first is that games last a long time, usually between 40 minutes and an hour, and there are stiff penalties for bailing early. The second is that it is very difficult to try out new champions, as you are sure to get chewed out by your teammates for not know exactly what you are doing at all times. Riot aims to ease these drawbacks with the "officialization" of the fan-favorite "All Random All Mid" (ARAM) mode, giving it an official matchmaking queue in the latest League of Legends patch.

So what exactly is ARAM anyway? It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Heroes are chosen at random, and all ten players go into the middle of a single-lane map (as opposed to the traditional three-lane setup of a regular League of Legends game). Players are not allowed to return to their base unless they die (the home fountain doesn't heal you like in a regular game), leading to some very interesting item and skill builds. Games usually last around 20 minutes, giving players a fun, less stressful way to try out champions they don't usually play.

Previously, it was done "unofficially" by making a custom game using the proving grounds tutorial map, but with the latest patch, Riot has made it an official game mode, giving it a few tweaks and even a brand new map: The Howling Abyss. The 5v5 ARAM queue is restricted to players of level 5 or above.

The addition of "reroll points" allows players to spend 200 points to reroll their champion if they happen to get that champion they really hate. This was mostly added to prevent people "dodging" a game if they got a "bad champion." All players start with 200 reroll points, and will get more by playing ARAM matches.

The new patch also brings with it champion relaunches of Trundle and Sejuani, some major changes to Quinn and Nasus, and some tweaks to Health Potions and the Elixir of Fortitude. The entire patch has a Freljord theme, as anyone who keeps up with the League of Legends lore will know that Ashe, Sejuani and newcomer Lissandra are duking it out over control of the region. Players can align themselves with either of the three factions, allowing them a sense of participation even if they don't play any of the affected champions.

The new patch should be rolled out when the servers come back up after maintenance this morning.

Source: League of Legends [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-36-notes-1]

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
In related news, Karma confirmed for God Tier in Howling Abyss. Just played it, it's awesome.

I was never one for ARAM but this is just hilarious now you can go into regular matchmaking. Melee centric teams sort of have to sit there and get poked by Ashe's Volley (vs three Ashes in a row, fuck her) but i'm testing the new Horn thing that apparently is supposed to help with that.

Press horn > run in. Mini Ghost or something. Tried it on Riven and it looks to be ok.

First ever game I rolled a Warwick and immediately wasted my only reroll. That one trick pony yo'

Lissandra should be good. Probably gonna suffer from Riot Syndrome where they fail at balancing someone on launch so they get tossed around between worthless and godlike for a few months (Rengar and Diana style baybee) but a free Zhonya's is FUNNY. Inb4 the failed tower dive ragers. INB4!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Oh cool, i play mainly arams atm as its a much more chilled and friendlier game mode then normal lol matches, you can actually play like complete crap and (usually) not get stressed for it!
Best way to try out new champs imo.

People do tend to dodge quite a bit so reroll points aint a bad idea.

Yeh i like this patch methinks.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Oh this is a COOL new mode, isn't it?
The atmosphere in them is way more CHILL?
At least you don't have to bother with FREEZING lanes!
Et Cetera.

But yeah, looking forward to it. This is a pretty huge patch, and should be a breath of fresh air. Also, ARAM'S with less dodging is a yes.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Oh my God? A quick match and friendlier environment? In League of Legends?!?!

Is this the end of the world as we know it or is it finally the game mode I was waiting for to finally return playing it again?
Probably, like many here, I really enjoied the game but had to stop playing because the community was the worst ever. I might consider looking at it again if this mode turns out to be just fun and game.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Maybe I'll get back to LoL now and try this out.
Havne't played it in a while. This sounds like a lot of fun.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Just gave it 2 games. It's a lot of fun. People can't see what the enemy teams have and the rerolls reduce the amount of times people leave significantly. However there have been people leaving during the games. The games on the whole though have had minimal flame and have been all around good fun.

I look forward to playing more ARAMs in the future.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
YES! I like League of Legends but I suck at it, I'm too scared to do anything other than play bots. This sounds like it's right up my ally...hope this is in the Mac beta though.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Wait didn't Smite just release this game mode.
oh well it is a really fun to play in smite so no reason it should be any less in LOL

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Spacefrog said:
Wait didn't Smite just release this game mode.
oh well it is a really fun to play in smite so no reason it should be any less in LOL
It was an "unofficial" game mode for fun back before Season 1 was even a thing in League. So, I mean, Smite might be doing it, but they didn't start it x)

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I still don't get why they won't let us ban before a match, there are several champions/combinations quite broken in this mode (looking at you Nidalee)

Worldbreaker

Feb 9, 2013
Riot had to steal the thunder of S2 games. New "game changing patch" for Heroes of Newearth is online on friday 3rd of May...

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
This game mode is insanely fun. Absolute chaos and full of crazy new rules. :D

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Worldbreaker said:
Riot had to steal the thunder of S2 games. New "game changing patch" for Heroes of Newearth is online on friday 3rd of May...
Didn't realize people still played HoN.

Also, they replaced Yi in the tutorial, this is bullshit, cause Yi's much more epic than that troll.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sure enough, as soon as Nasus became viable, they slapped him with the nerf stick.
Not saying it wasn't justified, but I still find it hilarious how one of the, historically, most underplayed bruisers in the game tipped over into needing a nerf.

Good ol' Riot Balancing. (don't bother with the EC video. I've seen it already.)

(ASIDE: HoN had this before LoL, and DotA1 had it before either; just without a dedicated map. Now everyone has an ARAM-esque mode or map. Huzzah.)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Lissandra should be good. Probably gonna suffer from Riot Syndrome where they fail at balancing someone on launch so they get tossed around between worthless and godlike for a few months (Rengar and Diana style baybee) but a free Zhonya's is FUNNY. Inb4 the failed tower dive ragers. INB4!
Unless you played back in beta with TF or when Xin Zhao was released, don't talk to me about inbalanced.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
The Wykydtron said:
Unless you played back in beta with TF or when Xin Zhao was released, don't talk to me about inbalanced.
Because everything Riot has ever balanced past that has been picture perfect and rosey red. Rengar could never oneshot an AD carry with one Q from full health from stealth, Syndra was never an absolute mess of low damage and/or shaky mechanics that took 3 rounds of straight buffs to make her viable and then there was the League of Cleavers not too long ago. Just to mention a few off my head.

Riot can't balance. True fact. It's kind of endearing in a way. Oh Riot you scamps, making all the AD bruisers deal more than true damage with every ability! Oh you rascals you! :3