League of Legends Anime Trailer Stars Professional eSports Players

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Anime Trailer Stars Professional eSports Players

The "Road to the Cup" clip features anime versions of famous professional League of Legends players.

Here's a new one. When I saw "League of Legends anime trailer", I was expecting something along the lines of the previously released Twist of Fate [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEnsqpThaFg] cinematic but in anime form. Instead, the trailer stars anime versions of famous professional League of Legends players, taking on aspects of their characters of choice.

"As the World Championship final draws near, we showcase the biggest heroes in esports from around the world that have wowed us all throughout Season 3. Many teams fell by the wayside in epic battles and now only two remain. Who will rise?"

It's certainly a unique way to promote eSports for the game. The trailer starts off with members from the teams participating in the 2013 League of Legends World Championships [http://na.lolesports.com/] showing off some cool moves from each of their characters, before engaging in a literal "fight for the cup" as they try to scale a massive golden pillar holding the championship trophy. The animation is really superb, and if you follow LoL eSports at all, seeing your favorite players like this is really cool.

If this video has gotten you pumped for eSports, be sure to tune in to the World Championship grand final [http://na.lolesports.com/worlds/matches/finals/sk-telecom-t1-vs-royal-club], when Korea's SK TELECOM T1 will square off against China's Royal Club this Saturday at noon.

Source: Riot Games [http://na.lolesports.com/articles/road-cup]

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Ah, of course, "show off awesome moves"... or in other words faff around waving your arms around needlessly. Reminds me of element bending in the movie adaption of The Last Airbender. Still, I have to agree that it looks pretty damn cool.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
This video made me realize for the very first time how there's little to no females on the pro gaming scene (at least to my knowledge). I'm not saying there has to be, and I realize statistically, there are lesser female gamers compared to male gamers. I just found it interesting that it's never occurred to me before.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I can't be the only one who thought the animation was very similiar to Avatar: the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra...

Can I?

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
ex951753 said:
This video made me realize for the very first time how there's little to no females on the pro gaming scene (at least to my knowledge). I'm not saying there has to be, and I realize statistically, there are lesser female gamers compared to male gamers. I just found it interesting that it's never occurred to me before.
Well no one is preventing them from competing, so I'm guessing many female gamers are just not interested in participating in the pro scene?

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Shockolate said:
I can't be the only one who thought the animation was very similiar to Avatar: the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra...

Can I?
Because it was most likely a western animation studio/team that did it, doesn't look very eastern anime-ish to me at least.

carnege4

Feb 11, 2011
ex951753 said:
You remember Team Siren and all that drama?
That's why you don't see females.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
You call it anime but it's clearly western animation techniques and art style. Not that I care that much, it's just stupid to use the word anime for western animations. You'd normally just call it a cartoon.

I'd watch a LoL cartoon if it was starring the actual in game characters like Twist of Fate and Annie and Lux. There are some real cool stuff they could do with that. Oh well.

maxy3d

Mar 3, 2012
Shockolate said:

Can I?
Vaccine said:
Shockolate said:

Can I?
Because it was most likely a western animation studio/team that did it, doesn't look very eastern anime-ish to me at least.
The animation was done by people in Studio Mir, and yes they did The Legend of Korra, thats why so similar. I quess thats what Riot wanted.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Pfft, whoever had Twisted Fate powers just threw the game entirely. Just teleport to the top of the tower you idiot.

I really don't know what the pro players look like but if that guy with the Vayne crossbow was not Doublelift I will be disappoint. Maybe Doublelift was the Ezreal since he got an Ezreal penta a little while ago?

I suppose Saint Vicious wasn't in it since there were no easy Barons stolen from him in that animation.

[sub][sub][sub]WAAAAAYYY![/sub][/sub][/sub]

I would really like a full fleshed out League anime, not gonna happen though. Over 100 characters in the game now and that's hard to balance screen time for. Ezreal would look really cool in an anime though. Just think about it, he's already one step away from an anime character (that character design yo') is super mobile, fires lasers and charges a super laser for his ult. Fucking DBZ powerup waiting to happen.

TF would be the best Deus Ex Machina plot device ever. Just appearing in the nick of time to save the day every other episode.

carnege4 said:
ex951753 said:

What they lasted a month and a half tops? TYPICAL WOMEN!

[sub][sub]I don't even know what that means[/sub][/sub]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Shockolate said:

Can I?
You're not the only one (some of the fighting style movement remind of the otehr nation bendings).

OT-
Heh, I bet that what some of the LoL view themselves when playing the game. Either way it still doesn't changed my opinion toward their community.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ex951753 said:
There was an all female pro LoL team. For about three weeks. They didn't do very well.

Edit: This just makes me want a LoL based anime.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
maxy3d said:
Shockolate said:

Can I?
The animation was done by people in Studio Mir, and yes they did The Legend of Korra, thats why so similar. I quess thats what Riot wanted.
I thought I was getting a Boondocks vibe from this.

I'll agree with some other people who have said there was a bit too much "faffing about," but I'm guessing that's mostly because they wanted to give more or less equal screen time to everyone represented. This clip may have been loaded with anime tropes but this is still some quality animation, as to be expected from Studio Mir.

The Wykydtron said:
carnege4 said:
ex951753 said:

What they lasted a month and a half tops? TYPICAL WOMEN!

[sub][sub]I don't even know what that means[/sub][/sub]
Well that video certainly presents an insightful, nuanced critique of the Team Sirens situation, and wasn't at all contributing to latent gender bullshit in gaming culture.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I don't know why, but I found the otherwise normal looking guys making use of their champions' abilities really funny for some reason. Especially that guy who spawned blitz's hands, or the guy using lux's lazer as a means of boosting himself to the top. Just so odd and silly seeing normal people doing such things.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
ex951753 said:
Lol I was gonna make a joke about it, that we should make this a discussion about sexism in e-sports...
Funny though, in anime form that disparity really shows a lot more.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
[quote"]when Korea's SK TELECOM T1 will square off against China's Royal Club this Saturday at noon.[/quote]

4 AM on saturday morning for us europeans. Q_Q

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
At the risk of getting punished for this post, I just want to go on record that I think this is the stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard of. It reminds me of Sonic X or the Transformers movies. You have a genuinely interesting property with its own lore that you could make very good stories out of with their "interesting" characters. But instead, we're going to focus on these human characters that few people really give a shit about. This seems like a joke and a waste.

Is there potential for something good? Sure. I've seen anime based off stupid or bizarre concepts that have actually been entertaining. But just taken at face-value, this seems like a really dumb and boring idea that I can't imagine turning out well.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
At the risk of getting punished for this post, I just want to go on record that I think this is the stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard of. It reminds me of Sonic X or the Transformers movies. You have a genuinely interesting property with its own lore that you could make very good stories out of with their "interesting" characters. But instead, we're going to focus on these human characters that few people really give a shit about. This seems like a joke and a waste.

Is there potential for something good? Sure. I've seen anime based off stupid or bizarre concepts that have actually been entertaining. But just taken at face-value, this seems like a really dumb and boring idea that I can't imagine turning out well.
It's meant to build up hype for the finals, they aren't actually going to make an anime about this.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Why didn't I see Faker... WHERE WAS FAKER?

I mean, they put Scarra in there, as well as Flame and Madlife, and they didn't even make it to worlds. Faker is on one of the two top teams at worlds, and is the top player on that team if not every team.

Still, it was really neat.

acillies45

Feb 25, 2009
You know, I was really disappointed.

If they ever do any sort of anime of League there is clearly one character who it should focus on. He is the deepest of all the champions and by far the most interesting:

Teemo

Why you ask: First he's cute as all hell.

Second, it could be call the 'Scout's Code: Teemo's Quest'

Third, his back-story basically says that he does have different sides to his personality. He is an extremely friendly Yordle who anyone could sit back with and have a beer with, but when he goes into scout mode, watch out. He gets super-ceriol guys.

He basically becomes a cold-blooded scouting machine. He is known to go into the most dangerous places of the world and always comes back alive. COULD YOU IMAGINE SEEING THAT? It would be badass as hell.

Of course, the ending would always have to have him finishing his opponent with 50 well placed mushrooms, but that would be awesome.

This is only 1/2 kidding by the way. I think an anime about teemo could actually be amazing if done by the right people.