League of Legends Developer Shows How Raging Loses Games

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
League of Legends Developer Shows How Raging Loses Games

This latest video from Riot Games breaks down the numbers, and shows how good sports make a difference.

Teamwork OP, League of Legends developer Riot Games claims, and it has a video to prove it. Sportsmanlike players win 1.7 more games than the rest, says Riot, and if you happen to be one of those that leaps on the slightest hint of poor play with venom and Mom jokes, then you're not just pounding that player, you're pounding your team's chance of winning. Teamwork is what'll win the match, and that isn't helped, says Riot, by screaming in chat.

This video is the latest in Riot's toxic player charm offensive. IWillDominate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123615-Riot-Games-Seeks-Reform-for-League-of-Legends-Trolls]'s case - permanently.

Riot has reason to be concerned. The League of Legends player base has a rowdy reputation, but the game's about an hour [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121895-League-of-Legends-Levels-Up-eSports] after tickets went on sale. With something like that on the line, the last thing Riot needs is for poor sportsmanship to be the League of Legends story.

Source: League of Legends YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXC7g3p0JU&feature=player_embedded#t=27]

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Should try playing the Oceania server, normally Australians are very good at online games but in LoL its not stop rage and some people actually call for surrender votes. Also the standard of play is much worse than NA, which probably explains the constant rage.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
The comments section in the Youtube video alternates between raging and people agreeing every time I hit refresh...

OT: It's actually really good that Riot constantly pushes players to behave, not just with ban-hammers, but with positive reinforcement aswell. A lot of people say it's all bullshit and stuff, but the multiplayer scene (atleast unranked) is getting steadily better, even if it's at a slow rate.

I wonder what other games could benefit form this kind of thing?

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Only in League of Legends would something this obvious need to be spelled out in a two-minute video.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
More power to them. Although I don't play LoL, it's nice that game companies are realizing the importance of community in online games and are actively trying to improve it.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
shadowmagus said:
Only in League of Legends would something this obvious need to be spelled out in a two-minute video.
And only in LoL would the message of something so obvious be swung at and missed by such a large % of the community.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Scrumpmonkey said:
shadowmagus said:
My thoughts exactly. The community in League of Legends is abysmal. It completely destroys the game.
Compared to... ?

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
I find games always go better when people keep there cool. It's just more stressful when someone starts screaming about FEEEEEEDERRRR!!!!! 3 minutes into a game. I wish if Riot wants to go this route, they could give some more concrete data than, "trust us, ragers lose more."

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Well said. Every online team game in existence could use something like this, statistical proof that raging does not help.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Alcom1 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
shadowmagus said:
My thoughts exactly. The community in League of Legends is abysmal. It completely destroys the game.
Compared to... ?
Do you really need a comparison to understand how toxic the MOBA community is?

Edit: apparently there's a tutorial mode or some shit now. So this isn't as relevant.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Hazy said:
Alcom1 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
shadowmagus said:
Compared to... ?

It's pretty much: "Here's a bunch of shit you need to know but won't be told. Instead, you'll have to learn it organically through playing the game. Except instead of being able to do that, your inability to do these things will lead us to report the shit out of you instead. Enjoy your ban."
This has been researched and disproved many a times. Its not the ARTS(see what I did there?) community, its the internet at large. The difference is that there are actually very few games out there where you're forced to communicate and cooperate with such a large amount of people a day, and where teamwork, like stated in the video, is directly linked to success or failure. Sure you can have a bad experience in Call of Duty, battlefield or css if you have bad teammates there as well, but it wont make your aim worse. Where in ARTS styles games the opponents gets directly stronger, and you comparatively worse the worse your teammates are doing. Thats why it may seem like these people are the worst of the worst the world has to offer, but in reality its just a cross section of the internet as a whole ;)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Hazy said:
Alcom1 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
shadowmagus said:
Compared to... ?

It's pretty much: "Here's a bunch of shit you need to know but won't be told. Instead, you'll have to learn it organically through playing the game. Except instead of being able to do that, your inability to do these things will lead us to report the shit out of you instead. Enjoy your ban."
That's why there are two separate tutorials, a co-op mode with varying difficulty levels and numerous online references.

And they don't even let you play legit PvP until you're level 3 anymore. So clearly you haven't played the game anytime recently.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Isn't this kind of preaching to the converted? I doubt someone who doesn't realise the things mentioned in the video (or simply doesn't care) would go "Ooh, so this is a team game? I was wondering why I've been playing with four other people all this time. And who would have thought that people don't like being insulted? I better stop doing it this instant!"

Hazy said:
From my experience there's nothing particularly toxic about ARTS players, that's just a myth, along with the genre's supposed difficulty. There're just as many unfriendly people playing ARTS games as any other multiplayer genre - unfriendly people are an inherent part of the society, after all. They may be just easier to notice in ARTS games since your failure directly aids the enemy team.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
shadowmagus said:
I have some screencaps from Bad Company 2 text chat that suggest that this is not the case.
This also holds true there: if you have at least a team of 3 helping each other out, you can stay on top of the charts even if you're not a very good player.
We need a video like this for the Battlefield series. We also need to get every player to watch it.

Actually, a game where this holds even more truth is Guns of Icarus. I've had team mates in that game that were worse than AI. I've also played with some players capable of following orders (mostly as an engineer, being someone that follows orders), and I've witnessed how you can absolutely trash an opponent then. VoIP plays a big role here, because if it wasn't for that, coordinating would be much more difficult. I see that when playing BFBC2: we have a team, of which about half tries to coordinate, but can't. Just because VoIP is broken.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I agree with the sentiment and I feel I perform better in a positive team than a negative one. That said, correlation does not equal causation though. I would like the actual data and reports behind this instead of a pretty youtube video that's done in that stupid "moving text" style that Ford got hold of and ran into the ground with their shitty truck commercials.

Could it just be that people lose 35% more games and are thus simply more bitter about it?

Don't get me wrong, I WANT to see everyone be nice in LoL but I'm interested in how they came to these conclusions.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Hazy said:
Alcom1 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
shadowmagus said:
Compared to... ?

That's why there are two separate tutorials, a co-op mode with varying difficulty levels and numerous online references.

And they don't even let you play legit PvP until you're level 3 anymore. So clearly you haven't played the game anytime recently.
Yeah, spot on, because I decided to get out while I still could. Maybe it's just me, but when I get kicked in the balls, I don't typically stick around to see if it hurts any less the second time around.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Excludos said:
Hazy said:
~le huge snip~
This has been researched and disproved many a times. Its not the ARTS(see what I did there?) community, its the internet at large. The difference is that there are actually very few games out there where you're forced to communicate and cooperate with such a large amount of people a day, and where teamwork, like stated in the video, is directly linked to success or failure. Sure you can have a bad experience in Call of Duty, battlefield or css if you have bad teammates there as well, but it wont make your aim worse. Where in ARTS styles games the opponents gets directly stronger, and you comparatively worse the worse your teammates are doing. Thats why it may seem like these people are the worst of the worst the world has to offer, but in reality its just a cross section of the internet as a whole ;)
Actually, having bad teamates in CS does affect your effectiveness just as much as it does in DoTA-like games. Your example of a player's death negatively affecting their team while simultaneously being beneficial to their oposers stands. Everytime a teamate of yours gets killed in CS, the enemy team gets money for weapons and equipment. Your team is also way less likely to win that round, further expanding the money gap between teams. After a while, your team will be deploying considerably worse equiped than your adversaries, and, therefore, objectively less likely to win.