League of Legends Honors Well-Behaved Players

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
Honestly this article really could of waited for more details to come out. As it stands, really? An article on a feature that's just been announced, with almost no details been told? Is the news day THAT slow?

Also, they have measures in place apparently to prevent abuse such as honoring everyone, honoring premades, etc etc.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I know it's hard to call with few details but a lot of people here already see the potential problems. When massive player base games implement a system like this it usually doesn't leave a impact because a players conduct is subject the opinion of the other players. To top that off system like these are often built around any number abuse so most incentives will be small and won't get most of the community involved.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
What is stopping me from always saying my friends are well behaved people (not that they are), or make an agreement with other people to vote each other up, overall I think it is a silly system, but sad that it is needed.

Roboticus

Mar 3, 2012
This probably won't end well, but that's not going to stop them from trying it out. Hopefully there will be a few limitations to it, like not being able to mark people on your friends list, to avoid people from just "boosting" the honor of their friends. I also like the previously mentioned idea of making it part of the tribunal so that people can confirm that "yes it was honorable" but I guess that seems a bit... I dunno, rude? It would be easier to just have a tab on the report menu that says "good behavior" or something like that and lets you tell them why you loved this random bloke so much.

I'm going to go off on a limb and say it won't really give the honored players much in the long run. Nice people who play LoL are usually chocked full of a feeling of deep despair anyway, one of the reasons I don't play ranked!

Mr.Governor

Nov 10, 2009
Aeshi said:
Because that worked SO well when TF2 tried it, didn't it?
Sorry but since when did tf2 had such a thing?

OT:This might actually get me to play the game since I'm always hesitant due to the community

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Honestly, if anyone says this is a bad idea they have clearly never played LoL. It needs at least something like this.

Let's be honest, it's kinda the worst community I can think of. Though i have a suspicion that the really committed trolls come out at midnight and stay on to troll all those people who have terrible sleeping habits.

Maybe that's just me...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Mr.Governor said:
Aeshi said:
Because that worked SO well when TF2 tried it, didn't it?
Sorry but since when did tf2 had such a thing?
A while back Valve found out that some people were using idling software to get items without actually playing the Game. Valve decided to reward the players who hadn't used said software with a special hat ("Cheaters Lament") that could not otherwise be obtained.

As a result, more than a few servers started to use scripts that auto-kicked anyone who had said hat, or changed it to look like something else (you can probably guess what), similar to the "Free-to-be-Kicked" scripts.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
I think a better version, as has been stated in the thread, is to reward players who haven't been reported for being bad as opposed to being reported for being good. Of course that also has problems since LoL's infamously horrible community will layer you with complaints of feeding and etc. at the drop of a hat. Under such a system you'd need to additionally be good at the game as well as not be an ass. LoL really does need some community rejiggering and I haven't the foggiest how to really do it

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Innegativeion said:
So basically exactly what Dota 2 has been doing xP.

Not that I can blame them, it *is* a really good idea.
When did DOTA 2 reward kind players? You mean commends? I have a shit ton of those but they haven't exactly been useful to me.
You are aware that Dota 2 is in Beta right now, yes?

and are you also aware that as of yet there is no indication of what the honors system is actually planned to do either, if anything?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Omnicrom said:
I think a better version, as has been stated in the thread, is to reward players who haven't been reported for being bad as opposed to being reported for being good. Of course that also has problems since LoL's infamously horrible community will layer you with complaints of feeding and etc. at the drop of a hat. Under such a system you'd need to additionally be good at the game as well as not be an ass. LoL really does need some community rejiggering and I haven't the foggiest how to really do it
When you report someone for being bad at the game it even has a little message under the report window basically saying "We will ignore this report, you're wasting your time filling it in". Think they only put it in so that people would stop using other sections and making them go through chatlogs.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Innegativeion said:
Innegativeion said:
So basically exactly what Dota 2 has been doing xP.

Not that I can blame them, it *is* a really good idea.
When did DOTA 2 reward kind players? You mean commends? I have a shit ton of those but they haven't exactly been useful to me.
You are aware that Dota 2 is in Beta right now, yes?

and are you also aware that as of yet there is no indication of what the honors system is actually planned to do either, if anything?
Considering I have close to 600 hours played, it'd be rather weird if I didn't.

Anyway, so your point is false. DOTA 2 has not been rewarding kind players as you claimed in your post. That will probably be implemented later on, but it is not
Innegativeion said:
what Dota 2 has been doing xP.

So Dota 2 plans to reward players via a system of peer-to-peer reviews with rewards as of yet undefined.

and

League of Legends plans to reward players via a system of peer-to-peer reviews with rewards as of yet undefined.

So League IS doing exactly what Dota 2 has been doing, down to every detail excepting the actual ability itself to send positive reports.

I mean... you're being so incredibly nitpicky here. You know what? Fine.

If I amend my statement to "So basically exactly what Dota 2 has been planning xP", which effectively makes the exact same point I was intending anyway, will you be satisfied? God this argument is uproariously silly.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
It's nice to see a company trying to make a reward system for helpful respectful decent players in this kinda game, I can tell you, DotA2 has a kinda system like that sorta, you can commend other players, and it allows you to see if a person is bein helpful or nice or whatever, but people almost never bother with it... hell most of the time the only thing I ever got outa the DotA2 community, is the laughs at how easy it is to get some of those idiots to shut up using creative responses that serve to both insult and confuse people... Like when someone calls me out as a ****** or tells me I'm all butt buddies with a team mate because I helped them gank the fuck outa their entire losing team, I usually come back with "Better gay than retarded." I'm not gay, but I also don't consider it an insult, especially if you "hafta be gay" to play in a coordinated or team friendly way, cuz if that's a sign of being gay, then obviously if it helps you kick ass and win, how is that a bad thing... heh... also funny when people call you out for being cheap because you play a character they don't know how to counter, or call you out for being cheap as a support hero for saving your teams ass during a team fight... hint, it's kinda your job to keep your team mates alive and help em out during team fights.

Whether or not it fucks up their game(if it does they'll fix it somehow) or not, it's still a cool thing to try.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Innegativeion said:
God this argument is uproariously silly.
It is. But that's now my fault... All I did was ask if you knew something I didn't. You replied in an extremely patronizing tone.

Either make your posts factually correct or drop the attitude dude. Can't have both.
So Dota 2 plans to reward players via a system of peer-to-peer reviews with rewards as of yet undefined.

and

League of Legends plans to reward players via a system of peer-to-peer reviews with rewards as of yet undefined.
My original post is factually correct, as pointed out above. League is doing what Dota 2 has been doing. I get the feeling you just skimmed my last post.

As for tone... seriously. The tone of my keyboard strokes. You've discerned tone from text. Any "tone" you're imagining is just that; imagined. Unless, of course, you have a text reader with a particularly snarky method of speech.