League of Legends May Get Built-In Voice Chat Soon

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
League of Legends May Get Built-In Voice Chat Soon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1405/1405841.jpgRiot Games is internally reviewing in-game voice chat for League of Legends "very positively."

Since League of Legends released in 2009, anyone who wanted to chat with their fellow players was forced to use a third party app like Ventrilo or Discord. While that is still the case today, it could be changing in the near future.

The word comes from a Q&A session with Riot Korea, which Reddit user Calycae translated and posted [https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/6aye4u/riot_korea_ingame_voice_chat_being_looked_into/]. In that translation, a Riot rep says,

"In-game voice chat is currently being internally reviewed.

Previously we worried that voice chat would lead to toxic behaviors, but after rethinking, we ultimately decided to provide an in-game voice chat feature.

League of Legends promotes team-sport oriented teamwork, and we think that voice chat brings value to when players are matched with random players, so we are reviewing the feature at the moment.

After the game client update has been applied, we expect concrete plans and preparations to be possible.

It is difficult to say exactly when, but we would like to let you know that we are working progressively on bringing this feature ready and working."

The post also quotes the Riot Korea Community Manager, who stressed that the feature, while being worked on, was not confirmed.

"Voice chat is being internally reviewed very positively, however it is not something that has been confirmed.

If we were to bring this feature to live servers, we will try our best to reflect upon the player's worries and requests."

Teams could more easily coordinate if voice chat were built-in, but players could also voice their displeasure at teammates using the same service. It's a double-edged sword, but if Riot provides the ability to easily disable the feature, it could be of use to some. We'll have to wait and see if the company decides to implement it.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I think it's pretty telling about the League community that Riot has not implemented voice chat up until this point out of fear of toxicity. I play League casually with a couple friends and the level of hate and disgusting things people throw at each other in that game is staggering. To be fair, I've been on both sides of it, but if Riot does add voice chat it better come with an on/off switch because I've never played a game with such a large population of awful people.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
No, please no!

Text chat is bad enough, the last thing League of Legends needs is for all of those over-amped shut ins to be able to vocalise their displeasure at life to the rest of their team.

Of course it could end up like Counter Strike, where everyone mutes the voice by default and uses private Teamspeak instead, no angry squeakers allowed.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
About time. Yes, people are toxic, but so long as they add the ability to mute people this is only a benefit. It would be so convenient to just be able to say "SONA MISSING" or "JUNGLE INCOMING" out loud real quick rather than messing with that ping system while trying to lane. It's been in Dota 2 since launch and it hasn't been the end of the world, and frankly it's added a lot more fun to some games when you find people who are fun and funny to play with.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
People with annoying voices, accents, slurping drinks, burping or people trying to talk to people who auto-mute for avoid that and eliminate communications via in-game-text or pings.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I will legitimately stop playing the game. League has bar none the worst community of any game I've ever played and the game honestly isn't fun enough to invite that into my ear holes.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Strawb said:
ccggenius12 said:
So trolls can have voice-chat, but Graves can't have a cigar? Rito please.
You know he's got his cigar back, right?
... I do now.

My computer is down for the count right now, so I haven't been able to log on for a few months now. I'm going to be so behind the meta...