League of Legends Oceanic Servers Now Available

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Oceanic Servers Now Available

Early transfers earn some exclusive rewards including Ziggs and Pool Party Ziggs, and will enjoy a 100% IP and XP boost.

For American or European League of Legends players, the idea of having to play with over 200ms is a horrible thought, and should only happen if your ISP is having some major issues. For LoL players in the Oceanic region, 200ms is considered a pretty good ping. Thankfully, Riot has taken steps to rectify this, opening an Oceanic server that, for a limited time, you can transfer to free of charge. The server is still technically in beta and lacking some key features, but if you want to finally experience lag-free-League, early reports are showing that Australian gamers are getting pings as low as 20ms!

If that's not enough incentive for you, early transfers earn exclusive rewards including Ziggs and Pool Party Ziggs, and will enjoy a 100% IP and XP boost during the server's beta test period. You can transfer from any of the NA, LATAM, Russia, Turkey, EUNE and EUW servers, and transfer is accomplished by heading to the in-game store and clicking on the "Other" tab, in a very similar manner to the free European/NA server transfers earlier this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123334-Riot-Opens-Paid-Transfers-Between-League-of-Legends-Servers]. If you decide you want to head back to your original server later, transfers are available, but the return trip's on you.

As the Oceanic server is still in beta, the only queues available at the present time are: Normal Summoner's Rift 5v5, Co-op vs. AI Summoner's Rift 5v5, and Custom Games (all maps/modes). All other modes, including All Random All Mid [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123618-League-Of-Legends-All-Random-All-Mid-Mode-Gets-Official], Dominion and all ranked queues will be made available at a later date.

Transferring will wipe your friends list, but you will keep all other aspects of your summoner, including summoner name, runes, and saved masteries. Be sure to check out the F.A.Q [http://beta.oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/page/oceanic-launch-faq] if you have any more questions.

Source: League of Legends [http://beta.oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/special-event/league-legends-lands-oceania]

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
My friend whom I have a ranked team with told me about this a lttle earlier so I've already made the transfer.
It does make me sad though that I won't be able to play with some of my buddys anymore but the ping is godly.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Now if only Smite would do the same thing.

Sooo sick of missing spirit arrows.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Zhukov said:

If only WORLD OF WARCRAFT would do the same damn thing! Seriously! WoW has been around MUCH LONGER than League, and is arguably run by a company with much more disposable income, but League beat them to Oceanic servers? WTF Blizzard?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I'm more into DOTA 2 then LoL, but speaking as a person with awful internet the more people playing online games with pings under 100 the better.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Zhukov said:

If only WORLD OF WARCRAFT would do the same damn thing! Seriously! WoW has been around MUCH LONGER than League, and is arguably run by a company with much more disposable income, but League beat them to Oceanic servers? WTF Blizzard?
WoW does have oceanic servers though...

They've had them for awhile now actually.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
DugMachine said:
Steven Bogos said:
Zhukov said:

The are not real oceanic servers. They are American servers which use an Oceanic time zone. They are still based in America

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
What does this server cover and where is it centered? Is it right in the middle, stationed somewhere like in Hawaii, or is it further South and West towards New Zealand, since there are more islands in that area?

Tristan New

Jun 28, 2013
Well the normals queue is terribly long... Been in queue now for 8 minutes! Youtube is your friend... Lucky I only transferred my smurf!

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
What does this server cover and where is it centered? Is it right in the middle, stationed somewhere like in Hawaii, or is it further South and West towards New Zealand, since there are more islands in that area?
I think from various Riot posts and job advertisments that the server itself is located in Sydney which feels about right since I'm sitting on 50-60 ping which is usual for servers in that area.

Really glad they got around to this, took them a while but they never had to do it if they didn't want to, the queue time is a bit longer but that will get lower and its so worth it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
You clearly haven't been on the European servers much if you think having <200 ping even matters. You will just be disconnected anyway, or 5 members of the game will. Or you won't recieve any IP for winning.

I kid, it's gotten a bit better. Only 3 membets of the game will DC.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
This will probably make me start playing LOL again. 200 ping was what drove me away to other games with local servers, even though I had invested a fair amount of cash into it.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Sitting on 16ms right now, feels good man.

Games are hilarious right now too, everyone is messing up their auto's by stutter stepping when attack-moving after being used to that 200ms we had to account for before, same with skill-shots.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Now if only Blizzard would follow suit and put the god damn Oceanic WoW servers here where they claim they are.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
DugMachine said:
Steven Bogos said:
Zhukov said:

The are not real oceanic servers. They are American servers which use an Oceanic time zone. They are still based in America
Ah my mistake. Never played on them, just saw they had a section for "oceanic" servers on the server selection. That really blows for oceanic folk.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
DugMachine said:
Steven Bogos said:
DugMachine said:
Steven Bogos said:
Zhukov said:

Ah my mistake. Never played on them, just saw they had a section for "oceanic" servers on the server selection. That really blows for oceanic folk.
I don't think you realize just how much. US players transfer to oceanic realms to be able to own other players. So whilst generally you are pvping against players with similar pings sometimes you will be up against people who always get the first hit. It really sucks for raids as you get even less time to dodge mechanics and stuff, for some fights you needed to be psychic.

Usually you can tell who's American on an oceanic server as they'll rage at you for not dodging something when here it's almost impossible to.

As for Arena... forget about it. Matching up against US players means it's usually an automatic loss.

The thing is Blizz have 4 servers of Oceanic players, but refuse to open a local server for them because it'd cost money that they aren't willing to spend. Sure a few more players might come back, but overall it's unlikely to be profitable for them.

Still if LoL shows that it can be profitable (Unlike SWTOR) then hopefully other companies might be willing to open their own servers here.

So... I made the transfer no questions asked purely because in general I want to support local servers. So I'll spend money and try to bring other players there as part of a bigger picture.

It has been a bumpy ride, a lot of players from around the area don't speak English and wouldn't usually communicate with each other, it's making organizing strategies and ganks really hard.

On a more positive note anyone know any... like Oceanic LoL groups?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Tristan New said:
Well the normals queue is terribly long... Been in queue now for 8 minutes! Youtube is your friend... Lucky I only transferred my smurf!
Your what now? Is it evil?