League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ChurchofSatan/status/366289816985411585]​
Riot Games is being asked to uncensor the word "Satan" in League of Legends so players can use it as freely as that of any other deity.

Did you know that League of Legends filters the word "Satan?" Not "God," not "Jesus," not "Allah," not "Zeus" (nor, one must assume, "Apollo") - but "Satan," for whatever reason, is The Name That Must Not Be Spoken. This is an unacceptable state of affairs in the eyes of Texas LoLer Beau Guthery, who has launched a petition calling on developer Riot Games to free the Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar from his celestial bonds! Or, you know, uncensor the word.

"This game does not filter the word 'Jesus' or any other god's name from their game. They are blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan," Guthery wrote in the prelude to the petition. "Everyone no matter their religion or belief deserves equal treatment. That is what America is founded on. Equal treatment no matter your race or belief system."

It's actually not all that outrageous a request when viewed through the lens of "equality for all," but why a petition? Guthery said the support team refuses to address the issue and his efforts on the forums did not end well.

"I did what riot support asked and I made a post about it and I was told to 'kill myself' and to 'burn in hell you atheist pig,' and then I was banned forever and the post was removed. While the people who said those things are not banned," he wrote. Despite that, he said he's not giving up on his quest; he's reached out to League of Legends support again and asked that someone higher up the food chain look into the ban and his original complaint.

The petition currently has 168 signatures out of a goal of 200, easily within reach of its target. Whether it represents enough of a slice of the player pie to get Riot's attention, however, is another matter entirely.

Source: Change.org [http://www.change.org/petitions/riot-games-un-filter-the-word-satan-from-your-game]

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Am I the only person who plays with the filter off? I can say whatever I want, and I also see it!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
... Or they could just, ya know, turn off the word filter. It's not like a Satanist is going to be offended by swearing, so I don't know how he even noticed this. Also I find his claims that he was told to "burn in hell you atheist pig" highly suspect. The League boards are not exactly known for their overwhelming religious majority. Overall this seems like something that is being done either as a prank or simply on principal.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Why uncensor the word?

Why for the glory of Satan of course!

No, but in all seriousness, they could just Lucifer instead. Its not the correct term, but almost everyone confuses the two already so anyone you're talking to would understand what you're going for.....that, and you can just turn off the in-game filter.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.

kirwan464

Aug 9, 2013
Either censor all religions and there fictional deities or none they should not single out any one religion.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Atary77 said:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.
Presumably they thought he was an atheist troll.

I'm kinda surprised Satanists care what people think about them.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
AVE GLORIOSA IN NOMINE SATANAS!

Seriously, this just screams "troll". And to be fair, it's kinda funny.

Edit: Also, if the LoL filter doesn't block "Xenu", it shouldn't block "Satan".

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Regardless of whether or not he's trolling, his request is reasonable. If other deities and infernal entities are ok, then Satan shouldn't be an exception. As far as I know, people don't use this word as an insult in English.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Atary77 said:

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.
Actually, Satanism doesn't worship Satan and usually refers to itself as an anti-religion and Satan is only used as a symbol.
Devil worshipers on the other hand believe in God and Satan and just happens to take the horned ones side.
It's two different things.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I don't play the game and I'm not a Satanist. However, the hypocrisy does annoy me enough that I've signed the petition.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
America founded on religious freedom? if you ascribe to the approved ones, yes. If you're not on that circle, beware.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I got Guns of Icarus today. I want to petition against thier naming policy because I cannot call an airship shaped like a testicle a testicle.

Because death by a manned, armed giant floaty testicle that looks as if it had been ripped from the body and given a mechanical paintjob is utterly, truly and unavoidably hilarious.

But no, they defy me.

This is petty. Calling yourself after Satan was old in the 90's.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"This game does not filter the word 'Jesus' or any other god's name from their game. They are blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan," Guthery wrote in the prelude to the petition. "Everyone no matter their religion or belief deserves equal treatment. That is what America is founded on. Equal treatment no matter your race or belief system."
Well, no matter your religion so long as it was their own. The primary reason the 13 colonies were separate to begin with was because they each followed a different sect of Christianity. Take old school Maryland for example:

"Sir George Calvert, whose title was Lord Baltimore, was a Roman Catholic nobleman. Finding the laws against the Roman Catholics in England severe, he resolved to emigrate to Virginia, in the hope of enjoying a liberty of conscience which was not permitted in England under the reign of James I. But he was disappointed, as the Virginians proved nearly as intolerant as those he had left; and he felt compelled to seek another asylum.

In 1633, Lord Baltimore appointed his brother, Leonard Calvert, governor of the province, who, with about two hundred planters, mostly Roman Catholics, left England near the close of this year, and arriving, in 1634, at the mouth of the river Potomac, purchased from the Indians Yoamaco, a considerable village, where they formed a settlement by the name of Saint Mary's." (http://www.celebrateboston.com/history/maryland.htm) ...And then promptly got angry when any non-Roman-Catholics entered the colony.

Rhode Island is the first colony to be closest to religious freedom, in that it was the Australia of America; anyone thrown out of a colony for not following the state religion was sent there to begrudgingly tolerate each others' views because they weren't allowed elsewhere. And that is why Rhode Island is viewed as the armpit of New England (also the lack of industry and size). Freedom of Religion FTW!

http://bfhmods.ucoz.com/the_more_you_know2.jpg

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar
I can't help but wonder why he has a last name that sounds like a newspaper. Does he also go by Beelzebub Father of Lies Dailymail? Shaitan Lord of the Flies Newsoftheworld? Doombringer Slayer of Virgins Bigissue?

I also have to put on my cynic boots and say that I doubt 200 people signing a petition is going to raise up a storm at Riot. They're probably too busy making loads of money to care.