League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Atary77 said:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.
There are satanic cults, who worship the entity, and there is the LaVey's Church of Satan, dedicated to the acceptance of the carnal self.

Your facts called, and i told them to report the domestic abuse.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Papadam said:
Atary77 said:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.

Actually, Satanism doesn't worship Satan and usually refers to itself as an anti-religion and Satan is only used as a symbol.
Devil worshipers on the other hand believe in God and Satan and just happens to take the horned ones side.
It's two different things.
There are two types of "official" Satanism; theistic and atheistic. Atheistic takes the stance that if there were something to deify it might as well be yourself, encouraging self gratification and stuff. Theistic is the one that fear-mongers love to point at. What makes this so interesting is that the split of active practitioners is about 95-99% atheistic/1-5% theistic, but people ignore that because it weakens the hate message.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Y'know, everyone seems to be mocking this guy, calling him a troll, and telling him to just turn off his chat filter, but (assuming he isn't a troll) his request is not really unreasonable. It doesn't make sense that a single entity of worship, however small the following, should be censored, while no others receive the same treatment.

As for 'he should just turn off his chat filter', sure, he could do that. But if this is a matter of principle for him (as seems to be the case), I can understand why that wouldn't be good enough.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Ok, I have to save this. Stupid Parody Religion "Satanism" claims Satan a deity. Clearly this idiot is too stupid to know is own religious beliefs. Satan isn't a deity is Satanism. He's a pointless mascot used to poke fun at Christians. When you deliberately poke fun at people expect them to get mad.

Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.

Furthermore, you can turn off the filter, but clearly the idiot doesn't understand his own religion, or his own rights, so I can't expect him to understand the basics of unchecking a simple box.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
What about the true name of the King in Yellow? Is that censored? I feel that we should prioritise censorship of deities that might unleash cosmic horror upon the world if their names are uttered over those that might offend some backwards sect.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, no. This is a valid point regardless of whether he is a troll or not (I say not, since a troll wouldn't go to that much effort.)

Also to those claiming that Satan isn't a deity etc, please, stop assuming this guys religion. He doesn't state he is part of any sect of Satanism, so you cannot safely assume you have any idea which one he follows if any (it could just be personal belief.) Also, I think this is more that he can't name a character/account or whatever after it, so chat filtering wouldn't help you there.

To those pointing out offensiveness, people find Christianity offensive, you don't see that censored. Equality means equality for all, not just for the things you agree with.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So I assumed he couldn't name his account after Satan? That's what the article looked like to me, who plays with the chat filter on anyway?

I've seen much more offensive names. I once 100% refused to lose a game to a KhaZix named "mackyoloswag." How Satan is banned and that abomination isn't is beyond me.

Yeah it's kind of obvious, equality is equality after all. Not equality minus Satanists because lol fuck you.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Censoring the word Satan shows that the devs show preference to specific religions which is unacceptable. It sends the message that Satanism is not a valid form of religion - which is nonsense.

(By the way, The Church of Satan is aesthetic. They don't worship the biblical character of Satan. They use Satan as a metaphor for the human ego...I think.)

Imagine if they censored the word Mohammed. You'd be hearing about embassies getting attacked in no time...

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar
I can't help but wonder why he has a last name that sounds like a newspaper. Does he also go by Beelzebub Father of Lies Dailymail? Shaitan Lord of the Flies Newsoftheworld? Doombringer Slayer of Virgins Bigissue?

I also have to put on my cynic boots and say that I doubt 200 people signing a petition is going to raise up a storm at Riot. They're probably too busy making loads of money to care.
I can imagine it now. A morning star with new printed on it. "Earlier today a man died of head trauma with the words "Royal baby" imprinted on it. Police are baffled.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That isa weird microcosm of LoL, it's attitudes towards and the maturity of it's players.

Tell someone to kill them self? Fine
Call them a pig and tell them to burn in hell? That's cool bro

Mention Beelzebub? THE AUTO FILTER SAYS IT IS RESTRICTED YOU ARE BANNED FOREVER, BEGONE FOUL CREATURE!

Nice, unpredictable and warped aggression, just like everything else in LoL.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pfffft. I've played MMOs where "Jesus Christ" was censored. My heart bleeds for you.

That said, why censor the word? Is the name "Satan" inherently offensive?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
WTF riot why would you censor Teemo?
Oh wait you guys meant Satan as in that guy from the bible...my bad.
In all seriousness it really is an odd situation, I'm curious if Riot really just flat out banned him from questioning the censorship of Satan or if there was another reason that just happened to coincide with his banning.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Is the name "Satan" inherently offensive?
This is what I want to know, because I've never heard of it used as an effective insult. Like, sure, you can call someone "an evil spawn of Satan!", but it seems more likely someone would take that as a compliment, unlike the usual "uninstall" or "kill yourself."

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
fyi to all those people saying that he can turn the filter off, that hardly solves the censorship issue.
its like when people say "ive got no problem with the gays, but they shouldnt kiss in public!"

also, this man has every right to believe in whatever imaginary entity he cares to, what call have you to name him troll just because his personal supreme being happens to be a bit of a dark horse?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Kalezian said:
medv4380 said:
Ok, I have to save this. Stupid Parody Religion "Satanism" claims Satan a deity. Clearly this idiot is too stupid to know is own religious beliefs. Satan isn't a deity is Satanism. He's a pointless mascot used to poke fun at Christians. When you deliberately poke fun at people expect them to get mad.

Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.

Furthermore, you can turn off the filter, but clearly the idiot doesn't understand his own religion, or his own rights, so I can't expect him to understand the basics of unchecking a simple box.

That's what he is getting at.

Even with the filter on or off, other deity names are not censored, yet Satan is.

Yes, also, Satan is considered a deity, not to satanists of course since their primary view is of ones-self, but there are cults that do worship Satan.

Before we go off on "cults are not recognized religions, so they dont count", Scientology was given cult status in the EU, so why doesn't Xenu get filtered while Satan does.

But I think we need to go deeper, ban all religious figures from the game, and the name Santa, because it's spelling can be re-arranged to spell Satan.
Yeah, but didn't the article quote the Church of Satan, a group which is, in fact, atheist? I mean, I had the understanding that that's where the guy fell religiously. In that case he is being somewhat of a troll, I think, because he's not seeking personal acceptance to his faith, he's simply trying to harass the community. I'm not saying certain individuals didn't overreact, but he sounds like he's causing trouble for trouble's sake. This is especially true if the filter can be turned off.

I don't think he understands the nature of religion in his own country either. The government isn't allowed to infringe on his rights to practice his religious beliefs as long as those beliefs don't infringe upon human rights, but LoL is well within their right to censor the word if they want (whether they should ethically is another question entirely). It's a privately owned company, so they have a right to monitor certain speech. Think of it this way, if a guy stands on your lawn and starts swearing at you as loud as he can, you can have him removed from your property. His free speech rights don't necessarily grant him permission to do that because the yard is your private property. I'm all for free speech, but I'm also all for people having certain rights over their own property. This seems like a non-issue, but I think Medv pretty much summed up my opinion on the matter. The guy in the article doesn't seem capable of organizing his thoughts into a strong enough argument to support his claims, most of which seem to be based on misconceptions he has about his rights and about religion in the United States.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
Atary77 said:

if you are going to hurl insults at people who hurl insults because YOU think you know the right answer, get your facts straight and read a book kid.