League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
I really don't see the point in censoring religion anymore.
There's jut to reason to.
Petition signed.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
You know, when I played Persona 4, I could summon Beelzebub, Lucifer AND Satan and not give a fuck. No one would give a fuck. Then I start to think about Mara...

Hell, I have so many jumbled words and thoughts about this that I'll just say this:

Censorship is f****** stupid.

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Actually Satan is the Judeo-Christian fictional character which was made in about 1500 A.D. by the pope alexander something... NO earlier ... Basically to make use of Islamic term Shaitan(something like the one who opposes religion or something) and made it theires because there were no mention of him(her?) before and the image of the goatlike entity came from gallick(or keltick) deity Baphomet which was the god(personification) of good harwest and fertility(mabey)... Basically made to purge all other local religions from europe and comparing them to worshipping deamons... yeah like they needed worship at all... So why not unbann the word?!?!?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
kailus13 said:
Presumably they thought he was an atheist troll.

I'm kinda surprised Satanists care what people think about them.
They don't because Satanism and Satan have nothing to do with each other. It is just philosophical description used to refer to the fact that they are against the basic Abrahamic morality.

Atary77 said:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.
Go read a book by LaVey; kiddo - would you kindly?

Satanism has nothing to do with worshipping Satan. It is individualistic form of spiritualistic enlightenment in which the god if there is any is the person himself.

Satan worshipping is belief in which Satan is supreme deity over all.
Satanism =/= Satan worshipping.

On topic:

In my opinion, sensor all or sensor nothing. But then again it is LoL so I give no fucks.

Please get i

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
.... Is this really an issue, I mean if its that much of a big of a deal turn off the filter but to be honest I cant think why you would use the word Satan in league of legends. I mean, the only way I can see this word working in any context is if they were using it to troll people of a certain religion, but even that is just stupid.

Pointless censorship, but not worth time and effort to get it uncensored

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
kailus13 said:
Atary77 said:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.
Presumably they thought he was an atheist troll.

I'm kinda surprised Satanists care what people think about them.
Well they are religious believers like anyone else. Why wouldnt they be upset?

OT: The only reason I see this is censored is because the producers of the game are most likely christian in birth and heritage and are grown up with the thought that "Well, Satan is a bad, bad word." I dont think they were trying to be offensive. In my opinion no religious belief is wrong. Only the things some people do with the excuse of their belief. Which is why I dont think it will do any harm what so ever if they uncensor the word Satan.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I don't know why that word would need to be censored. It is not a swear word nor typically used as an insult.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
kirwan464 said:
Either censor all religions and there fictional deities or none they should not single out any one religion.
Indeed. I don't follow any one religion, though I still believe they should all be treated equally in the eyes of law/policy. If you are going to censor religion, it's an all or nothing thing.

Not to say people can say whatever they want under the excuse of "it's my religion". That's a petty abuse of the system. Satan is already an established part of catholic lore (if i remember correctly), thus just as legitimate as any other abrahamic religious figure.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Atary77 said:

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.
Same thing I was coming to say. I can feel the butthurt from here.

SinisterGehe said:
Go read a book by LaVey; kiddo - would you kindly?
TIL: LaVeyan Satanism = All Satanism. Lol...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
major_chaos said:
Also I find his claims that he was told to "burn in hell you atheist pig" highly suspect.
I don't. It doesn't have to be a religious intensive site for a handful of religious people to feel compelled to tell an atheist or anyone non-christian to burn in hell. They love doing it actually. Besides, the article didn't say he was flooded with statements like that, but even just a few is enough to validate the statement.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Atary77 said:

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.
Very true, but to a lot of religious types, anything that isn't their particular brand of spiritual woohoo is all lumped into the same thing.

Real life example: I was in college, and looking through the class booklet, deciding on what courses to take for the upcoming semester. I was sitting outside in the public area with several other students, just chilling out, and I noticed there was a set of classes labeled Religion Studies, yet ALL of the classes listed were christian related subjects. I made an idle comment to one of my friends that "they should label it Christian Studies, since they aren't offering any other courses for other religions, that the title was technically inaccurate" Now I personally didn't give a damn one way or the other, it was mostly just an observational comment. This other student who apparently heard me got up in my face and said something along the lines of "Well not all of us are SATANISTS like you!!!" and then stormed off.

-_- So yeah, doesn't surprise me at all that someone might've just lumped him as an athiest/satanist, a LOT of religious types out there truly don't think there is a difference. They've been taught that athiests are "tools of the devil" and "worship satan", and they believe it like they usually do, because a preacher told it to them, so it must be true.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Tempted to sign, if only because making Religious fundies angry makes me happy. At the end of the day Religious debates are people arguing about their imaginary friends.

Captcha: Urban Myth.
Even Captacha knows.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar"

I am saving this one for later. They also censor the word "Hitler" for some reason. What if you're a historian and you want to talk about the life and time of Hitler? Well you can't do it in the LoL Client!

Unless you turn off the filter...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Really? satan? this looks like runescape all over again where every second word in the dictionary is censorted (no choice to turn off the filter) because it may be an allegory to a bad word.

SupahGamuh said:
Meh... they could just turn off the filter and call it a day.
the point is, such filters should not exist in first place.

medv4380 said:
Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.
It does. It ALWAYS does. You can censort context on a radio show you run. You should never be allowed to censort a word regardless of text. We are still very far from freedom of speech if we tolerate automatic filtering on the internet. It is speech control in its purest form.

Religion
Kalezian said:
Before we go off on "cults are not recognized religions, so they dont count", Scientology was given cult status in the EU, so why doesn't Xenu get filtered while Satan does.
Religion is a cult that does not have to pay taxes. You do not treat them differently in terms of censorship.

Fappy said:
"Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar"

I am saving this one for later. They also censor the word "Hitler" for some reason. What if you're a historian and you want to talk about the life and time of Hitler? Well you can't do it in the LoL Client!

Unless you turn off the filter...
Funny thing is the worse coutnerparts Stalin and Mao are not censored.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Blasphemy is an artform, and by Zeus's static-teased scrot-brush i will not stand for such denial of my complete creative expression across the religious spectrum!

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Strazdas said:
medv4380 said:
Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.
It does. It ALWAYS does. You can censort context on a radio show you run. You should never be allowed to censort a word regardless of text. We are still very far from freedom of speech if we tolerate automatic filtering on the internet. It is speech control in its purest form.
No it doesn't. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion only applies to the Governments ability to restrict it. Catholics can choose to freely associate with only Catholics if they choose. They can choose to hire only Catholics for their businesses if they choose. The owner and operator of a web site can choose to host any text he wants, and is free to censor any text on his site he doesn't want. Claiming that LoL is infringing on his freedom of speech is a moronic claim when in reality he is trying to infringe of LoL freedom of speech and freedom of association. So I'm sorry it does apply just against the nimrod Satanist.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
medv4380 said:
Strazdas said:
medv4380 said:
No it doesn't. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion only applies to the Governments ability to restrict it. Catholics can choose to freely associate with only Catholics if they choose. They can choose to hire only Catholics for their businesses if they choose. The owner and operator of a web site can choose to host any text he wants, and is free to censor any text on his site he doesn't want. Claiming that LoL is infringing on his freedom of speech is a moronic claim when in reality he is trying to infringe of LoL freedom of speech and freedom of association. So I'm sorry it does apply just against the nimrod Satanist.
Notice the word "Should". I never said it is infringing on current laws. I said we shuold make laws where it would. Hence my comment of us being far from real freedom of speech. Websites, radios, ect, choose their content, becasue the basic principle they run on is dictatorship. There is one person who decides to share his power with other people (admins, moderator) who decide the rules. The only major difference from historican censorship is the ease of migration, hence most dictators seek to appease their audience to keep it. They do have authoritarian right to ban any word they want, hence the problem. I would sugest us, the users, to not remain happy with such censorship, and initiator of this petition, be his goals misguided as they are, are part of it.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Strazdas said:
medv4380 said:
Strazdas said:
medv4380 said:
Notice the word "Should". I never said it is infringing on current laws. I said we shuold make laws where it would. Hence my comment of us being far from real freedom of speech. Websites, radios, ect, choose their content, becasue the basic principle they run on is dictatorship. There is one person who decides to share his power with other people (admins, moderator) who decide the rules. The only major difference from historican censorship is the ease of migration, hence most dictators seek to appease their audience to keep it. They do have authoritarian right to ban any word they want, hence the problem. I would sugest us, the users, to not remain happy with such censorship, and initiator of this petition, be his goals misguided as they are, are part of it.
In other words your all for taking away people rights to associate with whomever they want to associate with. How about we force Christians to put Budda in the bible, or any other absurd thing your twisted view of "freedom" would mean. The people who decide the "rules" happens to be the people who own the servers, and no one else. The Freedom of Speech is wasted on children like you who advocate ripping rights away from others so to impose your views upon others.

You did say it does infringe on current law when you said
It does. It ALWAYS does. You can censort context on a radio show you run.
in response to my assertion that the Freedom of Speech aka the First amendment doesn't apply. Ether I'm right, and it doesn't and should never apply, or your "should" is a nonsensical quirk of yours to try and have an escape when you're clearly in the wrong.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
medv4380 said:
In other words your all for taking away people rights to associate with whomever they want to associate with. How about we force Christians to put Budda in the bible, or any other absurd thing your twisted view of "freedom" would mean. The people who decide the "rules" happens to be the people who own the servers, and no one else. The Freedom of Speech is wasted on children like you who advocate ripping rights away from others so to impose your views upon others.

You did say it does infringe on current law when you said
It does. It ALWAYS does. You can censort context on a radio show you run.
in response to my assertion that the Freedom of Speech aka the First amendment doesn't apply. Ether I'm right, and it doesn't and should never apply, or your "should" is a nonsensical quirk of yours to try and have an escape when you're clearly in the wrong.
Well congratulations ,you do are master of misinterpretation of what you read.
I dont want to take peoples rights to asociate with who they want. i want to give people right to speak freely. it has nothing to do with forcing bible change. what i want is that christians would be allowed to tell that their christians without fear of being censored. same for budhists. and atheists. and satanist. and everyone.
Yes, rulers are dictated by those who own the site (not the servers, servers are rented) and hence its authocracy and not democracy, there is no freedom on the internet only that which is given to us by a ruler.
Yes, i am inposing my views by saying that people should be allows to ahve their views. how evil of me!
freedom and speech and first amendment are not synonims. and you are correct that first amendment does not apply and our current pretense of freedom of speech does not apply, but it should. should. should.