League of Legends Teases New Champion, Adds New Skins

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Teases New Champion, Adds New Skins

Source: Riot Games [http://beta.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/champions-skins/skin-release/make-splash-pool-party-here]

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Why does the proposed design look so good and the more developed picture looks completely shit. I really hope they improve him A LOT before they release him.

I've greatly disliked the design of a few of the more recent champs.

DemikidZA

Jul 4, 2011
Judging from the picture in the link I'd say his 3 abilities will probably be a skillshot thunder attack, a cloud which will damage and/or slow the target, a wind that covers him and increases his movement speed or attack and his ulti will be a giant thunder tornado and hopefully they release a sea-based skin which changes that into a sharknado

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
I don't understand why this is particularly significant. New characters are released all the time. Is the inability to use a previous skeleton for modeling noteworthy? Or has the Escapist released an article about all the previous champions?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
keserak said:
I don't understand why this is particularly significant. New characters are released all the time. Is the inability to use a previous skeleton for modeling noteworthy? Or has the Escapist released an article about all the previous champions?
Escapist has a bit of a hardon for LoL and tends to post articles about minor updates all the time, with larger ones when new heroes are released. I don't really see the point in it either, but no point in getting worked up about it...

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Just what you want, a Space Crocodile in the pool.

keserak said:
Jandau said:
keserak said:
Escapist has a bit of a hardon for LoL and tends to post articles about minor updates all the time, with larger ones when new heroes are released. I don't really see the point in it either, but no point in getting worked up about it...
And there's no harm in having more articles to read. I refresh the escapist page more often than is healthy and usually find nothing new.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
Why does the proposed design look so good and the more developed picture looks completely shit. I really hope they improve him A LOT before they release him.

Because the later one intentionally isn't as detailed?(I'm assuming you're on about the black and white one) It's rough concept art demonstrating his attacks and movement, not for eye candy purposes, the first picture is to show what he looks like.

Lumzdas

Mar 14, 2011
elvor0 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Because the later one intentionally isn't as detailed?(I'm assuming you're on about the black and white one) It's rough concept art demonstrating his attacks and movement, not for eye candy purposes, the first picture is to show what he looks like.
I do believe he meant that the first (colored) picture looks terrible and generic, while the black and white "concept" ones look very nice. To which I wholeheartedly agree.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
So, I guess someone at riot was playing smite? I mean, He's even got similar skills it seems

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Welp.... going to have to save up my ip now.

Also, dat beach ball orianna in the background :p

Feb 28, 2008
Jandau said:
keserak said:
I suppose the reason is simply that LoL is the most played game in the world right now, and therefore apparently trivial updates would be of interest to a massive amount of readers.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Jandau said:
keserak said:
I suppose the reason is simply that LoL is the most played game in the world right now, and therefore apparently trivial updates would be of interest to a massive amount of readers.
Wouldn't those readers be reading LoL news streams anyway? What with them being in the game client? Also, I don't mind an article if a game gets a major update. A few pieces of concept art and a few second-rate skins hardly merits an article in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if Escapist people love LoL to that extent, it's their site, they can write what they want, but I still get to think it's a pointless article only serving to pad out a slow news day...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Lumzdas said:
elvor0 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

I do believe he meant that the first (colored) picture looks terrible and generic, while the black and white "concept" ones look very nice. To which I wholeheartedly agree.
Personally I don't think they look any different, aside from the bw one being a more simplistic version without all the fine details. Design wise they're exactly the same.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
DemikidZA said:
Judging from the picture in the link I'd say his 3 abilities will probably be a skillshot thunder attack, a cloud which will damage and/or slow the target, a wind that covers him and increases his movement speed or attack and his ulti will be a giant thunder tornado and hopefully they release a sea-based skin which changes that into a sharknado
This.
Fucking THIS!
make it happen Riot.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jandau said:
keserak said:
League of Legends currently one of the most popular online games in the world.
Which translates to a large potential audience. I'm thinking that more than anything drives the Escapist's bias for LoL.

I'd call it free advertising, but they don't exactly have any existing conflict of interests so...why not?

OT: It figures that they would tease an actual fucking dragon champ right after I quit LoL (on account of 3.11).
One promising interesting mechanical interactions, no less.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Jandau said:
Wouldn't those readers be reading LoL news streams anyway? What with them being in the game client? Also, I don't mind an article if a game gets a major update. A few pieces of concept art and a few second-rate skins hardly merits an article in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, if Escapist people love LoL to that extent, it's their site, they can write what they want, but I still get to think it's a pointless article only serving to pad out a slow news day...
Ya, the escapist is a bit slow on putting this up compared to when a lot of people learned about it.
But I appreciate the effort I suppose. If I didn't see it before I would have seen it here. :)

DemikidZA said:
His passive is to revive krillin :p

Lumzdas

Mar 14, 2011
elvor0 said:
Lumzdas said:
elvor0 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Personally I don't think they look any different, aside from the bw one being a more simplistic version without all the fine details. Design wise they're exactly the same.
And I, personally, think they are different, seeing how the colored one is a lizardy dragon with scales and a physical tail, and the concept one is more.. ethereal I suppose. The tail ends with a flame, and the face is more pointy. They're similar, but far from the same.

For each their own, I guess.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
Jandau said:
keserak said:
League of Legends currently one of the most popular online games in the world.
Which translates to a large potential audience. I'm thinking that more than anything drives the Escapist's bias for LoL.

I'd call it free advertising, but they don't exactly have any existing conflict of interests so...why not?

OT: It figures that they would tease an actual fucking dragon champ right after I quit LoL (on account of 3.11).
One promising interesting mechanical interactions, no less.
Correct. Many more readers are interested in League of Legends then say, DoTA 2