League of Legends to Feature in Game of Thrones Cross-Promotion

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends to Feature in Game of Thrones Cross-Promotion

League of Legends characters will feature in a mash-up trailer to promote Game of Thrones season four.

What do Riot Game's MOBA League of Legends and HBO's fantasy drama Game of Thrones have in common? According to HBO, enough to warrant a cross-promotional deal between the two franchises. In order to promote its upcoming Game of Thrones season four, HBO got in contact with Riot, in order to discuss a campaign that would use League of Legends characters. Dustin Beck, vice president of eSports and merchandising at Riot Games, said that some kind of mash-up video was in the works.

"They're going to be getting some marketing assets, whether that's logo bugs or Website takeovers," said Beck, adding "But we're also working with their team to produce a mash-up trailer. They're giving us some exclusive sneak peaks into footage that hasn't been seen before." So, if you ever wanted to see how Jon Snow would stack up to the likes of Garen, or how Daenerys' pets would fare against Shyvana, this could be it.

Beck says that deals like this are great news for eSports such as League of Legends, as they have relevance to the dedicated fans it has built up over the years. "We've done a lot of player surveys to see what our fans like and dislike and I think a lot of the discussion and strategies going forward that we have are going to cater to our fan base," he said.

We want to make sure that any activations that we do are super authentic to our fans," Beck stressed, "And that we're not working with brands that aren't going to have any value to our players."

The League of Legends/Game of Thrones cross-promotion should appear some time during the three-week lead-up to season four's premier.

Source: A-List Daily [http://www.alistdaily.com/news/game-of-thrones-in-league-of-legends-promotion]

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Does this mean we'll get skins based of Game of Thrones? Cause that could yield interesting results...

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
JaceArveduin said:
Does this mean we'll get skins based of Game of Thrones? Cause that could yield interesting results...
Like Garen and Lux as Jaime and Cersei Lannister? Interesting indeed.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
The World Famous said:
The question is, who is this a bigger sell-out move for?
Neither, since we aren't talking about music? What are they selling out to? Riot has more players and money than some countries have people. I don't think there's any "shame" going on here. This isn't HBO putting Game of Thrones on Doritos or something. Sure it'll probably be totally cheese, but that's kind of the point.

Evil mr dave

Apr 28, 2009
I swear to all the powers of Chaos combined that if they include Lux in this trailer I'm fucking done with Riot.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Evil mr dave said:
I swear to all the powers of Chaos combined that if they include Lux in this trailer I'm fucking done with Riot.
why would that be?

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Does this mean Warwick is the dire wolf? Whatever, I wanna see this.

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Please include Swain, Please include Swain, I really wish to see my main, Swain in their trailer for this thing.... and if not him, please let it be Karthus.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Yes, because both Game of Thrones and League of Legends need all the promotion they can get right now.

It's not as if they're both already insanely popular or anything.

Evil mr dave

Apr 28, 2009
hickwarrior said:
Evil mr dave said:
why would that be?
[Trap Card Activation Intensifies]

The ADHD version of this story is this: Everything is wrong with her design (model, gameplay, lore, etc.); none of it makes sense in relation to any other part of her design and I would be pleased as punch if they addressed these glaring issues.

The full version can be found in this drunken essay I wrote 8 months ago when Aatrox was release:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3482161

Some of the jokes are dated because I hadn't finished Storm of Swords at the time, but I think it gets the point across. All in all probably a sill idea to do the trailer, I for one like silly ideas, so ima give it the benefit of the doubt.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The World Famous said:
The question is, who is this a bigger sell-out move for?
Why do we immediately cry "sell-out" when something like this happens? I mean seriously there would be no ads of any kind for cool stuff if we cried sell out for every single awesome thing that decides to run some kind of ad campaign. Besides LoL is the hottest online game right now and its pairing with the new Lord of the Rings. What is there to complain about?

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Announcing Raylor, the Lord of Light, for new champion!

Passive: Setting enemies on fire lowers cooldowns. Targets on fire illuminate stealth and hidden champions within a range.

Q: All nearby targets burst into flames, which deals initial damage and burn damage for several seconds afterward.

W: Creates wall of searing light. Walking through it hurts and slows victim, deals secondary burn damage.

E: Flares up a huge light, summoning temporary shadow minions.

Ultimate: The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
All enemies on the map loose the light from their eyes, rendering them blind for several seconds. Fire monsters spawn in huge numbers and last for half a minute before burning out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Seems like a strange crossover to me.
The two are fantasy themed, but share absolutely nothing else in common apart from that (setting, tone, medium, purpose).

I've nothing against this, but sorry; I just don't get the point.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Well... If it's anything like the erotic LoL fan-fiction I come across at DeviantArt, I imagine the pairings will have the Lannisters portrayed by C-

Oh, wait, you meant LoL character skins, not LoL parody por- Err... never mind, carry on...

psychopez

Jan 25, 2010
conmag9 said:
Announcing Raylor, the Lord of Light, for new champion!

Passive: Setting enemies on fire lowers cooldowns. Targets on fire illuminate stealth and hidden champions within a range.

Q: All nearby targets burst into flames, which deals initial damage and burn damage for several seconds afterward.

W: Creates wall of searing light. Walking through it hurts and slows victim, deals secondary burn damage.

E: Flares up a huge light, summoning temporary shadow minions.

Ultimate: The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
All enemies on the map loose the light from their eyes, rendering them blind for several seconds. Fire monsters spawn in huge numbers and last for half a minute before burning out.
Or just give Brand a skin...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Evil mr dave said:
hickwarrior said:
Evil mr dave said:
why would that be?
[Trap Card Activation Intensifies]

The ADHD version of this story is this: Everything is wrong with her design (model, gameplay, lore, etc.); none of it makes sense in relation to any other part of her design and I would be pleased as punch if they addressed these glaring issues.

The full version can be found in this drunken essay I wrote 8 months ago when Aatrox was release:

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3482161

Some of the jokes are dated because I hadn't finished Storm of Swords at the time, but I think it gets the point across. All in all probably a sill idea to do the trailer, I for one like silly ideas, so ima give it the benefit of the doubt.

Have you seen mister Tibbers?

Hopefully they will have some fun with this. Cross promotional skins would be nice.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Casual LoL players won't understand the outrage, but Runeterra and Westeros are two completely different worlds. If A Song of Ice and Fire skins had been announced, that would have been pretty sweet. Seeing as how Game of Thrones is the biggest thing since Jesus right now, it's obviously just another money hungry ploy looking to take advantage of the hype.