League of Legends Unleashes Spirit Guard Udyr

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Unleashes Spirit Guard Udyr

Udyr's first ultimate skin is now available at a discounted price for a limited time.

A few weeks ago, Riot games teased Udyr fans [http://promo.leagueoflegends.com/en/spirit-guard-udyr/] with an upcoming ultimate skin: Spirit Guard Udyr, which features entirely new animations, voice acting, and particle effects. Spirit Guard Udyr is now available to purchase for the discounted price of 1950 RP for four days following its release. There's also a bundle which includes the Udyr champion for 2295 RP. After the sale, the ultimate skin goes back to its full price of 3250 RP.

The skin features new animations for all of Udyr's four animal stances. On top of that, "When you reach rank five in a stance, you'll summon that animal spirit's physical manifestation, transforming Udyr into a feral force of nature." Spirit Guard Udyr will also strike down minions, champions and neutral monsters with stance-specific callouts and roar with triumph after vanquishing the Dragon and Baron Nashor with new event-triggered voice overs.

Accompanying the skin's release is an 11 page interactive comic, which you can read right here, as well as in your League of Legends client:
[gallery=1642]

Purchasing the skin will also net you four unique summoner icons and profile banners. The previously released ultimate skin, Pulsefire Ezreal, featured some similar benefits. "Ultimate skins" are called as such because they usually offer a substantial upgrade of the character compared to standard and legendary skins, although all skins are purely cosmetic, and offer no in-game advantages.

It's nice to see Udyr getting some love. He hasn't gotten a new skin in a long while, despite being such an old and unique champion. I'm glad Spirit Guard Udyr made the cut instead of another Annie or Teemo skin.

Source: League of Legends [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/spirit-guard-udyr-available-now]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they want 10-20 bucks for their remakes now and people buy it.
Meanwhile, original udyr still looks like crap.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Udyr's first legendary skin is now available at a discounted price for a limited time.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG WRONG WRONG.

It's an ultimate skin. Legendaries have new voice overs and animations, where as ultimates cost almost twice as much, evolve over time (as ranks are put into abilities), and are generally more badass. FOR EXAMPLE, my Blood Lord Vlad, Brolaf, Eternum Nocturne and Battlecast Prime Cho are all Legendary, whereas this is an ultimate.

And yes, I bought it. Look at it...

[sub][sub][sub]Shiny...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
KaosuHamoni said:
Steven Bogos said:
Udyr's first legendary skin is now available at a discounted price for a limited time.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG WRONG WRONG.

It's an ultimate skin. Legendaries have new voice overs and animations, where as ultimates cost almost twice as much, evolve over time (as ranks are put into abilities), and are generally more badass. FOR EXAMPLE, my Blood Lord Vlad, Brolaf, Eternum Nocturne and Battlecast Prime Cho are all Legendary, whereas this is an ultimate.

And yes, I bought it. Look at it...

[sub][sub][sub]Shiny...[/sub][/sub][/sub]
Thanks for that, i didn't even know there was a new distinction, i just assumed "legendary" was the ultimate level of skin. I'll amend the article

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
My body is not ready for the wave of bad Udyr players.
I had to take a break this summer anyway because of an entire new wave of awful players, but having two SGU Udyr's every game and watching them play is cringe worthy. Even as a Udyr main I can't justify spending $15 on a purely cosmetic item considering I could go on Steam and but Borderlands 2 with the DLC for the same price!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Citizen Snips said:
Frostbite3789 said:
I had to take a break this summer anyway because of an entire new wave of awful players, but having two SGU Udyr's every game and watching them play is cringe worthy. Even as a Udyr main I can't justify spending $15 on a purely cosmetic item considering I could go on Steam and but Borderlands 2 with the DLC for the same price!
This is what makes the F2P model hard for me to handle. But is of course, the feature that requires it to be sustained.

It's great that the developers are allowing people to play their game without need to pay anything, and they gain money through people who invest in the games elements and cosmetic features.

But then it becomes a problem of how much you're willing to pay for something that is ONLY a cosmetic a feature. A cosmetic feature that is not going to be unique to you because everyone else can buy it.

Case in point, I would buy cosmetics for my Riven if I could make cosmetics that make mine unique.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Frostbite3789 said:
Luckily, rolling your face back and forth between Q and R is passable at playing Udyr.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Slycne said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Luckily, rolling your face back and forth between Q and R is passable at playing Udyr.
... If you're in wood league maybe.

NOW SONA ON THE OTHER HAND.

Well, not really actually...

Maybe at release.

I'll probably be getting this once my 20 dolla from riot ACTUALLY GETS TO MY ACCOUNT

-grumblestupidtournamentprizetimingbullpoop-

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Still should have been a visual rework.

Either way Udyr is a pretty bad champion.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Why is such a small update for one specific game considered important enough to get it's own article? I'm not trying to pick a fight, i'm genuinely curious. I mean, LoL gets new skins all of the time, so it's hardly as important as, say, a major patch to a game.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Quicksilver_Phoenix said:
Why is such a small update for one specific game considered important enough to get it's own article? I'm not trying to pick a fight, i'm genuinely curious. I mean, LoL gets new skins all of the time, so it's hardly as important as, say, a major patch to a game.
This is only the second ultimate skin. Patches come out around twice a month and understanding why those are significant can be quite difficult outside of the more devoted parts of the community. This is a big deal, but more importantly, this is a big deal that everybody can understand fairly easily, like a champion release.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Slycne said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Sorry, you must have the wrong guide open. You've just described the perfect Garen playstyle. :D

OT: So I just bought the skin because lol jk too much disposable income. Thing is, I had to go through the trouble of unlocking Udyr himself with IP before buying the skin... How bizarre.

Ehh, how hard could it be? Couldn't be worse than launch Pulsefire "Let Me Whiff All My Moves" Ezreals right? Christ they were bad.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Revnak said:
This is only the second ultimate skin. Patches come out around twice a month and understanding why those are significant can be quite difficult outside of the more devoted parts of the community. This is a big deal, but more importantly, this is a big deal that everybody can understand fairly easily, like a champion release.
I see. Thanks for explaining! :)

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Ehh, how hard could it be? Couldn't be worse than launch Pulsefire "Let Me Whiff All My Moves" Ezreals right? Christ they were bad.

Right on the money here.

OT: Seems to me a better way to make money off these flashy overpriced skins would be to make them for champs that are much more basic e.g. Yi, Teemo, Tristy, Cait etc. Making them for niche champs like Udyr (a champ that I believe falls into the top 20 least used champs out of 107ish) seems like it has really limited sales potential. Also on a completely unrelated note, More Thresh skins please. :)D)