League of Legends Update Finally Stops 4 v 5 Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
League of Legends Update Finally Stops 4 v 5 Games

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1322/1322888.jpg
Ever get stuck in a 4 v 5 because a teammate disconnected at the start of a game? This new League of Legends patch will fix that!

League of Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/league%20of%20legends?os=%20league%20of%20legends]' 40-minute plus long matches ask for a pretty big time commitment from players. Being stuck in a losing game and forced to wait the whole thing out sucks big time - especially when you are down a player right from the get-go. Thankfully, Riot has now finally implemented a solution for 4 v 5 games - /remake. Basically, if a team member disconnects or leaves at the start of the game, the remaining 4 players have an option to "remake" the game, getting spit back into the lobby without penalty.

Here are the details:

If any player is dc'd or flagged afk for at least ninety seconds at the three minute mark, and no there's been no first blood, all players on the short-handed team are prompted to /remake with a chat message
All players on that team have one minute to prompt a vote by typing /remake in chat
The vote needs at least two of four players (30% of players in game) to agree, at which point the game ends
All players connected to the game basically pretend the game never happened, gaining or losing no LP/IP/XP, and seeing no change to their overall W/L records
The dc'd player (or players) takes full LP losses or drop a promo game, and are also flagged by Leaver Buster

/Remake will be available in all of League of Legends game modes, with the exception of bot matches, and ranked matches in Diamond V and above. It will hit the NA servers first, before eventually being rolled out worldwide in patch 6.11.

This is a great move, but honestly, it's about six years too late. Playing a 4 v 5 in League of Legends is honestly one of the worst feelings in gaming - especially as the game actively punishes you for "abandoning ship", forcing you to spend up to 40 minutes in a hopeless battle.

Source: Riot Games [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/player-behavior/play-games-matter/remake]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
League of Legends 40-minute plus long matches ask for a pretty big time commitment from players. Being stuck in a losing game and forced to wait the whole thing out sucks big time -

This is a great move, but honestly, it's about six years too late. Playing a 4 v 5 in League of Legends is honestly one of the worst feelings in gaming - especially as the game actively punishes you for "abandoning ship", forcing you to spend up to 40 minutes in a hopeless battle.
I guess the experiences in 4v5 matches were so bad Steve that you forgot matches in league are not forced to be 40 minutes long.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Awwww, but winning a 4v5 on the underdog side in ARAM is so much fun!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:
League of Legends 40-minute plus long matches ask for a pretty big time commitment from players. Being stuck in a losing game and forced to wait the whole thing out sucks big time -

I guess the experiences in 4v5 matches were so bad Steve that you forgot matches in league are not forced to be 40 minutes long.
I would say matches (on summoners rift) last an average of 40 minutes.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:

Sure an average game is 40. But twice you say players are required to stay 40 minute before they're let out of the game, which is completely untrue. Surrender is available at 20 minutes, so while an average 5v5 can be 40 minutes, no one in their right mind should be staying in a hopeless 4v5 past the 20 minute surrender.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
This will totally not work.

1. You have hordes of overly optimistic "They'll come back" players, like when you have a pushing team of 3 vs 5 and you are 20 kills down, people are still like "We can do this! Turtle till the other players come back!"

2. Even the game has trouble with players online status, sometimes a player will DC from the start and like 10 mins in you get the message "A summoner has disconnected". Bit late.

3. Deaths stop you from leaving. So you have a mismatch and someone gets destroyed right away and leaves... Then you are still totally screwed, what's wrong with AI or allowing other players to come in instead?

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
If I remember correctly, in DotA2 (the evil one) if one (or more) player is disconnected for more than 5min, it is "safe to leave". Meaning the rest can "abandon ship" without a penalty. I think it is even irrelevant when this happens.
Why is LoL not doing something like this?

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Politrukk said:
This doesn't seem to take connectivity problems into account.
They absolutely don't care. I was having issues a while back, getting disconnected back to back in a game, at least four or five times, which to me seems like a perfectly fine excuse to just quit out of a match. I still got busted for leaving.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
freaper said:
Politrukk said:
They absolutely don't care. I was having issues a while back, getting disconnected back to back in a game, at least four or five times, which to me seems like a perfectly fine excuse to just quit out of a match. I still got busted for leaving.
If you can think of a way for the server to tell the difference between legitimate connection problems, leaving because you heard your grandmother fall and break something, or rage-quiting by unplugging the internet then go patent it and make millions. But until someone invents that this is pretty much the only system to deter rage-quitting. Even if you gave a certain number of passes over a time period to try and take this into account you'd just have people abusing it by dropping when they don't get the character they want or whatever else little thing offends them.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Seconding the 'replace the leaver / DC with a bot', because if someone quits five minutes in you're still screwed under this rework.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
freaper said:
Politrukk said:
To be fair, if you disconnected 4/5 times in a game, it might be a good idea not to go into a game until your internet is sorted out? A reset of the Modem usually helps.

I get that some people live in area's where the internet is horrifically bad, but you should know the risk of playing a huge competitive game like LOL with a bad connection, you are going to get busted for it.

It's not the problems of Riot, they can't fix connections and its very hard to tell whether you left because you simply didn't fancy it or your bad connection.

If i went into a game of LOL and my net died, i'd take full responsibility for it. It's not riots or any other person in the games fault, i'd argue it isn't mine but then how do they know that? They aren't exactly going to contact Sky Broadband to see if they had done something on their end are they? xD

Obbi

May 7, 2008
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:

Sure an average game is 40. But twice you say players are required to stay 40 minute before they're let out of the game, which is completely untrue. Surrender is available at 20 minutes, so while an average 5v5 can be 40 minutes, no one in their right mind should be staying in a hopeless 4v5 past the 20 minute surrender.
That said, even the 20 minute commitment just to surrender is too much for me. I burned out on LoL and MOBA games in general from these sorts of problems. I like competitive games, but when I'm looking at playing Street Fighter for a clean 1v1 ~2 minute match, playing a game where I have to doddle around with 4 other players to maybe have a good game is pretty daunting when I know it'll take at least 20 minutes. It probably isn't as big of a deal for younger demographics, though.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Obbi said:
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:
Rednog said:
Steven Bogos said:

That said, even the 20 minute commitment just to surrender is too much for me. I burned out on LoL and MOBA games in general from these sorts of problems. I like competitive games, but when I'm looking at playing Street Fighter for a clean 1v1 ~2 minute match, playing a game where I have to doddle around with 4 other players to maybe have a good game is pretty daunting when I know it'll take at least 20 minutes. It probably isn't as big of a deal for younger demographics, though.
Don't get me wrong, I quit league last September. I got burned out too.
The point of my post was that Steven is factually incorrect in saying players are forced to stay in the game for 40 minutes.