Leaked Catherine Achievements Spoil Everything

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Leaked Catherine Achievements Spoil Everything

A list of leaked achievements for Atlus' upcoming adult horror Catherine tells us more about how the game plays - and also how it ends.

I'm not going to lie, I'm quite intrigued by Atlus' Catherine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/catherine], but there's a problem: We really don't know that much about the game. Sure, the setting and concept look damn cool, and if any developer has proven its ability to do modern real-world psychological fantasy, it's Atlus' Persona team. But in all the trailers we've seen what, a few seconds of gameplay?

Earlier today, Xbox 360 Achievements posted Catherine's achievement list - and revealed quite a bit more about the game in doing so. The list has since been pulled, but many of the achievements are mentioned on Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/28/catherine_achievements/].

It goes without saying that, if you're interested in Catherine, you may want to leave this post now. Or, in other words:

**SPOILER WARNING: Everything below this is probably a spoiler!**

It appears that the action segments in Catherine are divided into stages, with an achievement given for beating each stage - "First Nightmare" for beating Stage 1 and so on. Some of the listed stages also have strange names, like "Babel 3, Obelisk," "Babel 2, Menhir," and "Rupunzel's 64th Stage," but it's not clear whether these are just titles for the aforementioned levels or if these are something like side-dungeons.

On the gameplay side of things, it appears that the action may well revolve around powerups called "stones." An achievement rewards players for creating an explosion involving 15 or more stones, whereas another, "Bird Man," requires players to do a triple jump with the "Jump Stone" - I guess there'll be some platforming elements in Catherine, too.

Protagonist Vincent won't just be solving his own problems, either - he'll be resolving the issues of characters like Daniel, Todd, Justin, and Morgan. Perhaps he'll be delving into their nightmares as well, or it could be more like Persona's Social Link system where helping them just requires interacting with them on a regular basis.

It seems that Vincent can also while away his time in the Stray Sheep Bar (seen in many of the promotional trailers thus far), and several of the achievements revolve around the watering hole. You'll get an achievement for staying at the bar longer than everyone else, an achievement for replying to more than 20 text messages while at the bar, an achievement for checking out the various drinks the place offers, and an achievement for changing the music on the jukebox. If this is any indication, the gameplay might include strong social elements (in-game, not social-gaming) in addition to the action sequences.

The achievements also spoil the game's ending - or rather, that should be endings. Since these are the most spoilerrific of all the achievements, I'm going to throw in another warning here.

**SPOILER WARNING: No, really, there are MAJOR spoilers below. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.**

As expected, the game's multiple endings depend on your relationship with Katherine (Vincent's girlfriend) and Catherine (the coquettish blonde with whom Vincent has an affair). You have "Reconciliation With Girlfriend End (Girlfriend Normal)," "Wedding With Girlfriend End (Girlfriend True)," and "Get Rejected By Girlfriend End (Girlfriend Bad)" for Katherine, and a similar set of achievements for ditching the girl and ending up with Catherine.

Interestingly enough, there is also a pair of endings that sees Vincent going off on his own: "Head Off On a Journey End (Free True)" and "Choose to Be By Yourself End (Free Normal)." Not everything needs to involve girls, Vince, buddy!

**END OF SPOILERS: You just read a lot of spoilers!**

I have to say, even though I now know how it's going to turn out, I'm no less interested in Catherine than I was before - something like this is about the journey more than the ending.

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/28/catherine_achievements/])

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
While not reading the bottom half of the post I would just like to comment on how often games theses days are just ruined by the general media. Spoiler filled headlines on major gaming websites, hundreds of articles about every game well before launch. What is the point of playing games if every title has been gored and dissected a year before it even comes out.

I would like for once a triple A title to keep it's mouth shut until release so you can you know enjoy the special features, the intricacies, and not have every major event hinted to and gabbed about well before you even play it.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
What the hell is going on in that picture?

You know, this sort of game normally wouldn't appeal to me but for some reason it has really piqued my interest... I'm looking forward to where this goes.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
wtf is the monster in the picture
boobs with eyes and teeth!
my god this will be a scary game...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
HEEE!!!
I DIDNT READ A THING
I´M SAVED FROM SPOILERS!!!

although, i really want too, this game seems like it will be MORE fun to discover what the hell all those videos are.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Lucifer dern said:
actually, it looks more like the lower back of a girl in all four, with eyes in the buttocks and a mouth where the "crack" should be (notice the "inverted" legs on the sides??"

this game is going to be more "sexual" than i thought...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I didnt read biggest spoilers...But it have made me interested about the game.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I'd think this would be more of a way to hype the game up than to spoil it. After so much secrecy about gameplay, now there's a bunch of information about the plot to whet our appetites. Seems like a good thing for me.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
HentMas said:
Lucifer dern said:
actually, it looks more like the lower back of a girl in all four, with eyes in the buttocks and a mouth where the "crack" should be (notice the "inverted" legs on the sides??"

this game is going to be more "sexual" than i thought...
this also went through my head... though I didnt like to admit it...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
What the hell is going on in that picture?
Um... crawling vagina dentata trying to lick your soul?

... Why, oh why did I ever have an opportunity to write that?!

ninja_decadeo

Jul 20, 2010
You can tell who here hasn't played any Shin Megami Tensei games by the fact they are disturbed by the picture :D

*puts on a smug grin*

Non-pretencious speaking, I've just read the spoilers and I'm still interested in this game. In fact they aren't the worse spoilers.

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
ninja_decadeo said:
You can tell who here hasn't played any Shin Megami Tensei games by the fact they are disturbed by the picture :D
Creepy-vagina-monster's got nothing on Mara!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh god damnit, I'm not reading a single thing in this article and I so want to. I'm much too interested in this game to be spoiled and I'm really hoping for a US release.

Pwease Atlus? I'll be your best friend!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
That last bit about the endings seems to indicate hat the Law/Neutral/Chaos system in Megaten games is in full swing for this one...