Leaked Game of Thrones Season 5 Casting Sheet Reveals Multitude of Martells

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Leaked Game of Thrones Season 5 Casting Sheet Reveals Multitude of Martells

Expect to see a lot more of the family and homeland of Prince Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand in the HBO hit's fifth year.

The men and women of Dorne are expected to be out in full force for the fifth season of Game of Thrones, thanks to a leaked casting sheet picked up by The Mary Sue and WinterIsComing.net. While the members of House Martell make up the bulk of the new characters revealed, a few non-Dornish are scheduled to crop up as well.

Those of you concerned with spoilers may want to avoid this list. For those of you unconcerned with teh spoilarz, WinterIsComing.net, lists the characters and their descriptions as follows:

Prince Doran Martell - Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.

Prince Trystane Martell - Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.

Areo Hotah - Doran's personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell's bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):
Obara Sand - The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

Nymeria Sand - Nymeria is described as "mixed race," with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she's beautiful, emotional and very strong.

Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.

WinterIsComing also notes that a character from George R.R. Martin's books, Dornish throne heir Arianne Martell, is not listed, though this might mean she's already been cast as opposed to being cut from the TV adaptation.

The other characters listed to appear are:

High Sparrow - The books' pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.

Septa Unella - The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.

Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she'll be in one episode next year.

Lollys Stokeworth - Just last week in "Mockingbird," Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers "dimwitted." It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.

Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.

The Waif - The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

The Mary Sue also mentions a recent Entertainment Weekly article about HBO looking to film some future Game of Thrones episodes in the Andalucia region of Spain. While EW couldn't divulge what part of Westeros Spain would stand in for, the smart money is on the hot, dry landscape of Dorne.

Source: WinterIsComing.net

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I wonder who's going to be playing Victarion. He's not in the list so they must have already cast him.
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Yeah this isn't really surprising since they're now finished with book 3. The Martells are everywhere in 4 and 5 but don't really show up before then, so to cast a bunch of them now makes a lot of sense.

hazabaza1 said:
I wonder who's going to be playing Victarion. He's not in the list so they must have already cast him.
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

Man I hope so he's one of my favorite characters from the last two books. Given their casting thus far I imagine they'll get him right.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
BraveSirRobin said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

Man I hope so he's one of my favorite characters from the last two books. Given their casting thus far I imagine they'll get him right.
Considering that he was being mentioned since book 2 and first shows up in book 4 at the Kingsmoot, I'm not entirely hopeful about him not being cut.
Considering how much they've already mucked about with the Ironborn I wouldn't be too surprised to see them replace/fuse his role with Yara/Asha, so long as
she doesn't do anything too important in TWoW, but I can easily see her being the one who kills Stannis or frees Theon, considering where she is in the story

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

They better have cast my Greyjoy bros. All 3 of them are key to the story in my opinion.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

According to my (totallyreliableandnotatallmadeup) sources, it might just be this guy right here:

Honestly? I'm surprisingly ok with this choice.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
The only one that's really a cause for concern is Trystane being aged up, considering he's betrothed to Myrcella, a child barely older than Tommen, and in the books they're of an age and get on quite well. It's sweet when they're both 10, but if one's about 12 and the other's 18...

Arianna Martell not coming up is also mildly concerning, but I'd be amazed if they cut her. That'd be like dropping Maester Aemon. Quentyn Martell also seems to be missing. I guess it's possible they've merged him and Trystane like they did with the Tyrells, but Garlan and Willas don't have as much separate relevance to the plot as Trystane and Quentyn do.

Edit: I'm also curious about whether Arys Oakheart willturn up, considering most of the Kingsguard have been relegated to extras thus far, and they can't exactly roll him into Meryn Trant like they did with the others.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Infernai said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

According to my sources, it might just be this guy right here:

Link?
Because while I like Ron Perlman, this sounds... a little awful.

endtherapture said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

They better have cast my Greyjoy bros. All 3 of them are key to the story in my opinion.
I guess this all depends if they're going to have the Kingsmoot or not. No casting for Victarion, no casing for Aeron, our only hope is that
the theory that Daario=Euron stands true
and the other two will get introduced later on, or the casting list wasn't fully leaked/finished.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
I guess this all depends if they're going to have the Kingsmoot or not. No casting for Victarion, no casing for Aeron, our only hope is that
and the other two will get introduced later on, or the casting list wasn't fully leaked/finished.
Or Vic/Euron/Aeron were all cast already.

Benjen Stark, Daario Naharis, Euron Greyjoy and Coldhands walk into a bar. He orders a drink.

I'm also wondering if they'd merged Quentyn with Trystan.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Infernai said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

Link?
Because while I like Ron Perlman, this sounds... a little awful.
Don't have one, I was kind of just joking around a bit with it.

I guess in retrospect I probably should make it more obvious I was joking, but bleh that's what happens when you write posts when you just wake up.

Apologies for any unintended unpleasantness.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
On Mycella:

They may have had to age her up somewhat as well; she utterly has to be older than tomen, and Tomen is now a lot older - he's being played by 15 year old, so I'd be unsurprised if they jumped her to 16 or 17 (Given that she is supposed to be ballpark sansa's age, and sophie turner is about 17 now)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I am the only one who can see the guy that plays Heimdall in the Marvel movies as being the perfect fit for Hotah? He kind of nails that impassive but intimidating standing around thing that Hotah does.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
endtherapture said:
hazabaza1 said:
Infernai said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

That too. Hopefully.

endtherapture said:
I dunno about that.
The long lasting implications of someone getting married to a Lannister princess are pretty extreme, and considering Quentyn gets horribly painfully killed I think they'd be keeping them separate.
If I recall in the show Myrcella's already been sent off to Dorne and is wed to Tystan so he'd have no real reason to go to Mereen and find Danserys.

Infernai said:

I guess in retrospect I probably should make it more obvious I was joking, but bleh that's what happens when you write posts when you just wake up.

Ah, alright. No unpleasantness, it just doesn't sound too unreasonable a possibility and jokes in text are hard to convey/understand.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Where's Arianna? She was one the POVs I was concerned about in the 4th book. Also, HBO, whatever you do, don't axe Victarion from the show. I really don't enjoy Greyjoy chapters and he managed to turn it around in one chapter during the 4th book.

I haven't started the 5th book so don't spoil anything to me.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
Where's Arianna? She was one the POVs I was concerned about in the 4th book. Also, HBO, whatever you do, don't axe Victarion from the show. I really don't enjoy Greyjoy chapters and he managed to turn it around in one chapter during the 4th book.

I haven't started the 5th book so don't spoil anything to me.
Yeah, she should definitely be there.

The other ones are no surprise however, it's likely they forgot to mention her.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
endtherapture said:
hazabaza1 said:
Infernai said:
hazabaza1 said:
Right?
Riiiiiiiight?

That too. Hopefully.

endtherapture said:
I dunno about that.
The long lasting implications of someone getting married to a Lannister princess are pretty extreme, and considering Quentyn gets horribly painfully killed I think they'd be keeping them separate.
If I recall in the show Myrcella's already been sent off to Dorne and is wed to Tystan so he'd have no real reason to go to Mereen and find Danserys.

Infernai said:

Ah, alright. No unpleasantness, it just doesn't sound too unreasonable a possibility and jokes in text are hard to convey/understand.
Myrcella is betrothed to Trystane but not yet wed

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
If only there was another source for these revelations.

Like a book or something.

If posting spoilers on the Escapist is suddenly ok, then I can drop some hints as to what I think season 6 might contain?

Also, does the Season 5 casting list also include additional make up artists for zombie Catelyn Stark? Curious minds demand easy page clicks as an alternative to creating original content.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
DJjaffacake said:
The only one that's really a cause for concern in Trystane being aged up, considering he's betrothed to Myrcella, a child barely older than Tommen, and in the books they're of an age and get on quite well. It's sweet when they're both 10, but if one's about 12 and the other's 18...

Arianna Martell not coming up is also mildly concerning, but I'd be amazed if they cut her. That'd be like dropping Maester Aemon. Quentyn Martell also seems to be missing. I guess it's possible they've merged him and Trystane like they did with the Tyrells, but Garlan and Willas don't have as much separate relevance to the plot as Trystane and Quentyn do.
I thought that merging Trystane and Quentyn was quite a likely option for them, but it's weird for this merged character to be called Trystane rather than Quentyn, i.e. the guy who actually does some stuff.

I'm going to assume that the more significant Martells not mentioned have already been cast ages ago. Hopefully also the Greyjoys, I'd be disappointed if Balon's brothers aren't all in the show.

Also put Coldhands in the bloody show!

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
K12 said:
DJjaffacake said:
The only one that's really a cause for concern in Trystane being aged up, considering he's betrothed to Myrcella, a child barely older than Tommen, and in the books they're of an age and get on quite well. It's sweet when they're both 10, but if one's about 12 and the other's 18...

I thought that merging Trystane and Quentyn was quite a likely option for them, but it's weird for this merged character to be called Trystane rather than Quentyn, i.e. the guy who actually does some stuff.

I'm going to assume that the more significant Martells not mentioned have already been cast ages ago. Hopefully also the Greyjoys, I'd be disappointed if Balon's brothers aren't all in the show.

Also put Coldhands in the bloody show!
There is no way that they merge Trystane and Quentyn, in part because they will probably push back Quentyn's introduction to season six, in part because I feel they are advancing Dany's story very slowly.