Leaked God of War 4 Info Shows Off Norse Setting

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Leaked God of War 4 Info Shows Off Norse Setting

A massive asset leak suggests that God War 4 may be set in Norse mythology.

Could Kratos return in the land of Odin, Thor, and Loki? If the latest leak is accurate, that may be exactly what is happening. Multiple sources have leaked info on God War 4. First off was industry insider Shinobi602, who first mentioned the setting on twitter yesterday.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/717015410051313664]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/717018912383221761]

Once that happened, NerdLeaks NeoGAF [http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/god-of-war-iv-here-are-some-concept-arts-showing-kratos-in-norse-mythology-246] has archived the images for all to see.

The images show Kratos sporting a beard and wielding an axe. There are even a few pieces of art bearing text that explicitly mention Kratos, which makes this leak all the more interesting.

Obviously, these images could all be bogus, so this should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Still, we know that God of War 4 is in the works, and a move to a Norse setting would certainly shake things up.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-05-massive-god-of-war-4-leak-points-to-norse-mythology-setting]

[gallery=6125]

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012

Oh what a day!
I shall go forth to Valhalla shiny and chrome!

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Remus said:

Oh what a day!
That gave me a good laugh.

This could be very cool. If they move away from Kratos and create a new """Hero""", it would be interesting to explore Norse mythology. Its not as "mainstream" as Greek or Egyptian mythology, but it is super expansive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
THOR! PREPARE TO MEET THY MAKER?
Does't thou mean Stan Lee?

As long as the final battle is an unwinnable contest against Anthony Hopkins.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
hehe, after a few years...

Kratos Does Dallas!!

... hey he done the rest already... even those lot in Tolkiens world.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
This looks so very interesting. It oozes God of War, while still being different.
I will miss the blades though, one of my favourite aspects of the original games.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Renegade-pizza said:
Remus said:

Oh what a day!

This could be very cool. If they move away from Kratos and create a new """Hero""", it would be interesting to explore Norse mythology. Its not as "mainstream" as Greek or Egyptian mythology, but it is super expansive.
I really really hope this leak is half true. I would love a GoW style game with norse mythology, I just really don't want it to be Kratos again. His arc is done, lets have a change of characters at least

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I was hoping they would tackle a new mythological pantheon, but at the same time, I now realize that I'll probably have to kill off all my favorite gods. Hell, I bet Loki tricks you into killing Baldur. Still, Norse mythology is the best place to go after Greek mythology, given it's depth and popularity, especially in video games, since fantasy games have been using it as a grab bag for random ideas for as long as I've been gaming.

The game really needs to NOT star Kratos, though. His story is complete and there's really nothing more to be done with him, unless he's some random background character or someone who just furthers the plot or something.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
suitepee7 said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Remus said:

Oh what a day!

I really really hope this leak is half true. I would love a GoW style game with norse mythology, I just really don't want it to be Kratos again. His arc is done, lets have a change of characters at least
Indeed. As I said in another thread, Kratos has no reason to be here. Make THOR the main character.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
If they do Thor instead of Kratos, I'd be down for this. The God of War series past the first game basically ran Kratos into the ground and ruined everything that made him interesting. I have no wish to return to that character.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
I was hoping they would tackle a new mythological pantheon
God of War in Mayan mythology would be pretty hype
or some african mythology (I know the one but the name is not coming to mind now, but I think it's the one from Shadowman)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jehovah: I AM JEHOVAH, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE GOD OF THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTIANS. I AM BOTH OMNIPOTENT AND OMNISCIENT! YOU CANNOT STAND BEFORE ME MY SON, FOR I AM ALL!

Kratos: Hrrrmmm, only one boss for this one I guess.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I seem to recall that this was the idea of one of the head writers years ago. I read an article where they interviewed a few different writers who had worked on the game (the article might have even been on this site), and one of them said that his idea for ending the trilogy was to have a stinger at the end of God of War III where you see Kratos heading toward Asgard. That always stuck in my head because I thought it was a pretty neat twist, even though I've never touched these games.

So this idea has been kicking around since--I think--God of War II, but it appears they are finally going to latch on to it. I wonder what Kratos' motive for wiping them all out will be, seeing as they have nothing to do with him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
PunkRex said:
Jehovah: I AM JEHOVAH, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE GOD OF THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTIANS. I AM BOTH OMNIPOTENT AND OMNISCIENT! YOU CANNOT STAND BEFORE ME MY SON, FOR I AM ALL!

Uhhh, Christianity does have a huge pantheon of angels to get through, and then you have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Not mention Satan would interfere; if anyone wants to tear down God, it would be him.

As I mentioned earlier in another post, I'm all for a new God of War with a different mythology and no Kratos. Nobody needs him. If they drop him, I'll consider putting the game on my "To get list".

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
PunkRex said:

Dude, a God of War game with the whole Christian pantheon where you get to play as a pissed of Jesus and have to fight God would be rad. Too bad people here in the states would get offended by it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Well that'll be a change of pace.
Greek mythology breaks down as follows:
25% Conquering heroes facing terrible monsters, 25% Zeus finding novel new ways to cheat on his wife, 25% zany family sitcom, and 25% gods just arbitrarily being dicks to people. The story of Herakles (Who you probably know by his Roman name of Hercules) is all of the above.
Norse Mythology is a little different.
Most of what we think of as "Standard fantasy fare" (Dwarves, elves, trolls etc.) actually originated in Norse myth. The rest is a mixture of Thor and Loki having odd couple-esque hijinks, Loki having rather bizarre sexual hijinks, and a looming doom that everyone knows is coming but cannot be stopped.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Wow. One pantheon wasn't enough for him? Now that he's purged Olympus he's moving on to Valhalla?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
CoCage said:
PunkRex said:

Uhhh, Christianity does have a huge pantheon of angles to get through, and then you have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Not mention Satan would interefre; if anyone ones to tear down God, it owuld be him.

As I mentioned earlier in another post, I'm all for a new God of War with a different mythology and no Kratos. Nobody needs him. If they drop him, I'll consider putting the game on my "To get list".

As much fun as Kratos was to play I have to agree. There isn't really anything else to do with him and he should just be allowed to rest. Hell, the poor guys wanted to die since the end of the first game, so they should just let him stay dead.

Plus, I think it would be better if they made a new character for the specific mythology. Just like they did with Kratos. That's why he worked so well.
Just bringing him back to life and tossing him into another pantheon to kill all the gods seems a bit contrived in comparison.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Dude, a God of War game with the whole Christian pantheon where you get to play as a pissed of Jesus and have to fight God would be rad. Too bad people here in the states would get offended by it.
Close up of a long haired man with a beard and gradually pans out.
Hardcore gruff voice, "Father do not forgive me, for I know what I have done."
Pans out and its Jesus, stabbing an angel with a a giant crucifix.

Title comes up: God of War V: War of God

OT: This would be a really good way to keep the series going without it feeling like beating a dead horse. It could lead them to do other pantheons and continue to experiment with this epic sized art style they have with different cultures.