Leaked Metal Gear: Rising Trailer Outs Platinum as Developer [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Leaked Metal Gear: Rising Trailer Outs Platinum as Developer [UPDATED]

A lot's changed in the new Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer.

Konami promised to reveal the truth about Metal Gear Solid: Rising at tonight's Spike VGAs, but it looks like that truth may have gotten away from the publisher. A three minute trailer found its way online, and revealed - among other things - that the game is being developed by Platinum Games, the studio behind Bayonetta.

Also revealed in the trailer is the game's new name, which drops the "Solid" and adds the rather goofy sounding "Revengeance" subtitle. Rumors that Platinum Games was working on Rising have been circulating for a while and although Platinum denied them, this trailer seems to suggest that the studio wasn't being entirely truthful. Besides Bayonetta, Madworld and Vanquish, many of Platinum's staff had a hand in shaping classic Capcom franchises like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, and Viewtiful Joe. Not a bad resume for a studio working on a stylized action game with a ton of melee combat.

The trailer itself puts me in mind of the anime trailers [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDEof8HoEYw] of the early 1990s, back when anime was a new idea; it's actually a little eerie just how similar this new trailer is to the ones I watched as a kid. The game also looks to be a pretty big departure from the tone and ethos of the rest of the Metal Gear series; although if Konami wants Rising to be a franchise in its own right, that might just be the point.

You can watch the trailer here [http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/12/10/metal-gear-solid-rising-leaked-revengeance-trailer], but you might need to be quick as Viacom - the studio behind the Spike VGAs - is cracking down pretty hard on any versions it can find. Alternatively, you could wait a few hours until the show starts, and watch it then.

UPDATE: Here's the trailer itself in all its glory.

Source: IGN [http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/12/10/metal-gear-solid-rising-leaked-revengeance-trailer]

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I would just like to say that the name is absolutely stupid. Also, thanks for the info on the leak.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
wat.

I seriously don't know what else to say besides this.

Someone explain to me wtf is going on? Never should've eaten pizza so late last night...

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ok this looks awesome and bad at once. If this is real the game could be fun as hell but I don't think it would fit anywhere near the normality of the MGS series as is though I could be wrong. Still if this is true I think I'll be picking this up.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Okay. Now that I know it is developed by Platinum, and is a straight up hack n' slash, and I couldn't be more excited. Stoked.
Same. I don't care about Raiden as a character, so the thought of a typical Metal Gear game with him at the center didn't have me so excited. But he works great as an excuse for Platinum Games to do what they best, which is over-the-top action.

Though this actually caught me by surprise, as I hadn't heard the rumors.

Xenos Eriadin

Mar 11, 2009
I have officially stopped giving a damn about this game.
I mean, I knew it would be more combat heavy than previous metal gears, but I didn't expect something like Devil May Cry. Though I guess that people who like hack-and-slash games will feel differently.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
...The fuck?

Retro like a *****. Might be fun, but it seems so horrendously out of tune with the entire franchise, I might just ignore it's existence continuity-wise. It's taken me years to understand the MG continuity, I'm not letting some retro beat 'em up fuck it up for me!

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I will be playing this depending on what consoles it's out on and what I need to play it. I loved this trailer and I'm so happy it's platinum games!

btw, did any see the GIANT ROBOT that Raiden FUCKING THREW and then JUMPED ON AND MURDERED!

this shall be great.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
0_o i really dunno what to say...

As someone who has never fully understood the Metal gear games, ive only played 1 and 2 on playstation... now whilst 1 was amazing and will always stick in my mind, 2 i started to loose interest, i just don't know what to say to this one... picking up a metal gear ray and throwing it 0_o

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Hack 'n Slashes can be fun, I just hope they put a little variety in it, as they tend to become old quickly. I'll be sure to follow updates about "Revengeance" though.

Awkward name :S

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I have never played a Metal Gear game and the little knowledge I have about it is that a box is apperently the ultimate stealh tool.

Also: HOLY SHIT! Did he just throw that GIANT ROBOT and freaking kill in mid air?

And since it has been developed by Platinum buying doesn't seems such an bad idea.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
Ok this looks awesome and bad at once. If this is real the game could be fun as hell but I don't think it would fit anywhere near the normality of the MGS series as is though I could be wrong. Still if this is true I think I'll be picking this up.
It's an offshoot gameplay wise, but Kojima has been clear on that from the beginning. Everyone should have known when Raiden was announced as the player character that this would be a lot more action focused.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I kind of remember hearing that Platinum was making this game a rather long time ago from Brad of 4 Player Podcast. At the time it was a rumor, but I guess it's true.

Not really sure what to think of this. I really enjoyed Bayonetta, and I really enjoy the Metal Gear Solid games. Could the two mixed together make something absolutely amazing? Or will it create something horrible?

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
What happened to playing through the game and not killing anyone?
If peace runs aren't possible, I'm not going to buy it, I was interested in something different, not a hack n slash.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
SteakHeart said:
Revengeance?

...I like it.
Seems like the devs were watching some Metalocalypse [http://dethklok.wikia.com/wiki/The_Revengencers] when they came up with the name.