Leaked Metal Gear: Rising Trailer Outs Platinum as Developer [UPDATED]

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
Warachia said:
DustyDrB said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Ok this looks awesome and bad at once. If this is real the game could be fun as hell but I don't think it would fit anywhere near the normality of the MGS series as is though I could be wrong. Still if this is true I think I'll be picking this up.
It's an offshoot gameplay wise, but Kojima has been clear on that from the beginning. Everyone should have known when Raiden was announced as the player character that this would be a lot more action focused.

When I was playing that game I was already calling bullshit on those scenes, as they were incredibly out of place, made no sense, and nobody even tried to explain them later.
To me this is the same issue with the new DMC game, just make it's own series and people will be interested.
the metal gear seires has been known for its over the top super duper awesmely cool action cut secenes since metal gear solid 1

heres a video that makes my point more clear then my words ever could

you can stop at about 3:30 but the point is crazy action secens have been satple of MGS since day one

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Madara XIII said:
Oh don't think wrongly of my points kind sir. I was just merely pointing out that sure the story is taken seriously, but sometimes fans take it TOO SERIOUSLY.
I loved the whole sci-fy vibe I felt from this series and yet like you said the game immersed me so deeply, I just kind of took it.

The problem I see why they are getting rid of alot of pretense is that this is Platinum Games we're talking about. Vanquish was an excellent game, but the story was just cheesy because it tried to hard to be serious. However there were some great elements especially with a few quips that let you know they were breaking the fourth wall.

Elaine: "Watch Out Sam! It's a Trap"
Sam: "Thanks for the Update Admiral!"

Elaine: "Be careful Sam. This robot is capable of turning into pure energy"
Sam: "Huh. Sounds like a Bad Video Game"

However I HOPE this game can still immerse us into Raiden's story and help us appreciate it more.
Yeah, I played Vanquish. It was a good, solid game with some rather addictive gameplay. Sadly the story was lacking. All the characters were stereotypes, or rather, Japanese ideas of American stereotypes. Except for Sam Gideon oddly enough, he may have had a silly name but at least he wasn't the usual perfect macho super soldier, just some skinny guy in a suit. I liked that aspect about it.

I liked Vanquish but not enough to replay it again. I have replayed MGS games many times simply for the story. Then again, I'm a story over gameplay sort of person. If Rising can bring that sort of solid gameplay to the table and keep the usual convoluted but sincere storytelling we've come to know and love, this might just be a winner.

Madara XIII said:
Seriously people like to forget that Raiden even existed and when they do all they remember is his depressed part of the story where he had to come to terms with his past.
I felt the same about Raiden initially. I felt angry that I had been cheated out of playing as Snake and all I got was an inexperienced and whiney kid along with all his emotional baggage and annoying girlfriend. I mean, seriously?

But he's grown on me an awful lot and I no longer think of him as such a tool. Besides, I almost wet my pants with glee when he showed up in MGS4 and was actually badass for a change, even if none of it made any sense.

But really, Naiomi's melodramatic air of tragedy bothered me more in 4 than Raiden's depression ever did in 2.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Umm... why are many people referring to this as Metal Gear Solid: Rising? This isn't Metal Gear Solid, it's just Metal Gear. Could be a completely new continuity/branch for the Metal Gear world.

The trailer scares me though. After Ninja Gaiden, most games have failed to deliver hack and slash with that degree of quality. I just hope this keeps the Metal Gear pedigree.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Ooh, it looks like Dynasty Warriors! The voice acting is just as cheesy, the equipment just as insane, the action just as overdrawn.

Interesting, but I remain sceptical if it translates well into the MG-Universe.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
please don't be move exclusive. i really want to give this game at least a chance, but not enough to get playstation move for it.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Nerdstar said:
Warachia said:
DustyDrB said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Ok this looks awesome and bad at once. If this is real the game could be fun as hell but I don't think it would fit anywhere near the normality of the MGS series as is though I could be wrong. Still if this is true I think I'll be picking this up.
It's an offshoot gameplay wise, but Kojima has been clear on that from the beginning. Everyone should have known when Raiden was announced as the player character that this would be a lot more action focused.

When I was playing that game I was already calling bullshit on those scenes, as they were incredibly out of place, made no sense, and nobody even tried to explain them later.
To me this is the same issue with the new DMC game, just make it's own series and people will be interested.
the metal gear seires has been known for its over the top super duper awesmely cool action cut secenes since metal gear solid 1

heres a video that makes my point more clear then my words ever could

you can stop at about 3:30 but the point is crazy action secens have been satple of MGS since day one
No They Haven't. That bullshit was only introduced in the shitty remake twin snakes, and MGS 1 was more or less rooted in reality. MGS 2 is also mostly rooted in reality with little over the top action scenes (excluding possibly the end), and so is the third game, even it's wierdness you can accept because they don't show it off every chance they get.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
That had to be one the most violent and one of the most awesome trailers I've ever seen. Seriously, turn up the volume when you watch it.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
Warachia said:
No They Haven't. That bullshit was only introduced in the shitty remake twin snakes, and MGS 1 was more or less rooted in reality. MGS 2 is also mostly rooted in reality with little over the top action scenes (excluding possibly the end), and so is the third game, even it's wierdness you can accept because they don't show it off every chance they get.
i beg to differ about the shitty remake(i personally loved it). and while it is true that they amped up the crazy action factor in the remake, the orginal did have its moments of retarteawesomeness(its a trademaked word now like revengence;) ) and all the others since then have been following the same formula of action cutsecens since they started showing up in each game you can find at least one retarteawesomene scene. and thats the way its been its not a bad thing its one of the many things that give the MGS seires its charm and i for one am glad becuse of it! :)

captcha: owtews govement, i think the captha whats me to overthrow my own goveremnt
i shall creat a band of terro...er fredom fighters and call them the sons of liberty and i shll take the name soulidus snake and it will be awesme!

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Hmmm no thanks it looked pretty interesting what i'd seen previously but now it's gonna be a devil may cry/bayonetta type thing my interest is gone.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Nerdstar said:
Warachia said:
i beg to differ about the shitty remake(i personally loved it). and while it is true that they amped up the crazy action factor in the remake, the orginal did have its moments of retarteawesomeness(its a trademaked word now like revengence;) ) and all the others since then have been following the same formula of action cutsecens since they started showing up in each game you can find at least one retarteawesomene scene. and thats the way its been its not a bad thing its one of the many things that give the MGS seires its charm and i for one am glad becuse of it! :)

captcha: owtews govement, i think the captha whats me to overthrow my own goveremnt
i shall creat a band of terro...er fredom fighters and call them the sons of liberty and i shll take the name soulidus snake and it will be awesme!
I'm not going to debate on how good or bad the remake is, I hated it because of all the moments they added that made no sense and didn't fit into the game, and I said mostly rooted in reality, the main difference here is this throws all pretence of reality out of the window, in the first three games all of the moments of crazy were played down enough, or rushed past (with the exclusion of MGS 2's ending).

As you said, you can find at least one moment of something almost hitting something else in slow motion, or changing the direction of missiles with your mind or some equivalent in each game, but twin snakes couldn't get enough of these moments, they completely forgot about pacing, dramatic tension and by the ending decided they could give snake super speed in order to dodge a machine gun's bullets fired at almost point-blank range, and then they had a painfully long drawn out scene of Liquid dying that removed any and all emotion involved.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Warachia said:
Nerdstar said:
Warachia said:

I'm not going to debate on how good or bad the remake is, I hated it because of all the moments they added that made no sense and didn't fit into the game, and I said mostly rooted in reality, the main difference here is this throws all pretence of reality out of the window, in the first three games all of the moments of crazy were played down enough, or rushed past (with the exclusion of MGS 2's ending).

As you said, you can find at least one moment of something almost hitting something else in slow motion, or changing the direction of missiles with your mind or some equivalent in each game, but twin snakes couldn't get enough of these moments, they completely forgot about pacing, dramatic tension and by the ending decided they could give snake super speed in order to dodge a machine gun's bullets fired at almost point-blank range, and then they had a painfully long drawn out scene of Liquid dying that removed any and all emotion involved.
Let's see. MGS1. Guy gets hand chopped off and has enough time to find someone close by to stop the bleeding and not die. Nano machines in the human body....sure I'll bite. Man faces tank with only grenades. Man destroys helicopter with whatever he has on hand. Another man in said helicopter shoots down jets. Stupid soldier left behind to guard protagonist. A few dozen ravens eating every piece of a person in seconds including bones. Man destroys a super tank alone. Cybernetic Ninja with stealth camo. Psychotic Psychic breaking the 4th wall.

I'm pretty sure there are more I am forgetting. Point being, MGS is hardly grounded in reality, but parallel to it.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Okay. It seems I have a few things to say.

First, I want to clear up a few misconceptions. Metal Gear Rising takes places after MGS4. It was originally set before it, but when Platinum Games picked it up Kojima Productions switched it around to give a little more wiggle room.

Second, the gameplay is being handled completely by Platinum Games. Its been stated that the game is actually being built as a game first and a story second. In my opinion, this can turn out great. Platinum Games know how to handle fast paced action. If that's the direction they're taking it (like there's any doubt), then I have absolute confidence that the gameplay will be solid. There is one caveat, though. Kamiya is not heading the project.

Third, the story is being handled by Kojima Productions. So to all the escapists afraid that the story might not be convoluted and philosophical enough: have no fear. So this side of the game will be pretty solid as well.

Fourth, no, this isn't Metal Gear Solid. Its not a stealth based action game. Its not about a regular soldier against irregular odds. Its Metal Gear Rising. Its a speedy action game. Its about a cyber-ninja against a cybernetic army. Its effectively the birth of a new sub-series in the Metal Gear franchise, should we choose to embrace it. Honestly, having watched the extended trailer, I can't not be excited for this game. I hope that others feel the same, because I can see this going to great heights if given the proper support.

In conclusion, this looks like its going to be a solid game. Solid gameplay, solid story and a solid premise. Hell, the only thing that isn't solid is the title. -badum tish-

Oh yeah, some source:
http://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/
Most of that info is here. I could track down anything else I said here.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Negatempest said:
Warachia said:
Nerdstar said:
Warachia said:

Let's see. MGS1. Guy gets hand chopped off and has enough time to find someone close by to stop the bleeding and not die. Nano machines in the human body....sure I'll bite. Man faces tank with only grenades. Man destroys helicopter with whatever he has on hand. Another man in said helicopter shoots down jets. Stupid soldier left behind to guard protagonist. A few dozen ravens eating every piece of a person in seconds including bones. Man destroys a super tank alone. Cybernetic Ninja with stealth camo. Psychotic Psychic breaking the 4th wall.

I'm pretty sure there are more I am forgetting. Point being, MGS is hardly grounded in reality, but parallel to it.
Which is why I said mostly ROOTED in reality, which all but (possibly) the last three are (your points, not the games), and again, it never really focuses on the insane moments, they happen and the game moves on, with the exception of psycho mantis who they also brush aside, even if the first game wasn't rooted in reality at all, that still leaves the other problems I mentioned in twin snakes.

Incidentally, with the exception of the last two (and nanomachines) you can find those same scenarios in plenty of other games that don't pretend to be over the top.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
well this made me want to buy the game and seing raiden kick rays ass (again) isnt really surprising seing as he breakdanced several gecko's attached to his legs in MGS4.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
I get that Rising is not Solid. I get that this is an action game, not a stealth game. I get that it could be totally awesome. What I don't get is how a human sized cyborg is going to stand up to that much mass- Metal Gear Ray has Raiden beat in the physics department in every way!

What bothers me is that the internal foundation that makes up the the Metal Gear universe is always shakey at best, but there have been some unmovable ground. But every instance Raiden has shown his shiny metal ass, he's injected some kinda deus ex machina that turns everything topsy turvy. Stop an on rushing Outter Haven from crushing snake? Absurd. Tossing ray into next tuesday? Bullhockey!

I like the ideas- it's just not something that fits in Metal Gears universe.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Well, Metal Gear abandoned proper physics back when they started building giant mecha. Seriously. Cube-square law and all. Hell, say they have a technology that specifically counteracts cube-square. That would provide a nice pseudo-scientific explanation as to why Raiden can do the things he does.

ca_jas

Feb 28, 2010
This looks so bad, I don't understand it. Compared to the MGS:R trailer, the new gameplay does not seem innovative, the graphics look worse and I'm not sure how the story can have any integrity left. I was completely ready for a drastic change in the series and I thought the original build provided plenty of change. This however, looks dumb.

Sep 30, 2010
I was much more excited about Metal Gear Solid: Rising than this. I find it kind of sad that they have to reboot a game that never came out.
I mean look this trailer screams MGS and has awesome looking swordplay: