Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
Macar said:
Most of it is innocuous- so they're trying to get women into gaming more, and expand their casual appeal. That's all well and good.

I don't think Microsoft is going to have much affect on PC gaming as a whole- you don't have to use Games for Window Live- or whatever they're calling it.

Actually, the only part of the video you didnt malign is the part I find scary: micro-transactions, ug.
try playing a legitimate copy of dead rising of bulletstorm, you NEED an account to play them and MS could easly force users on their ouwn version of steam that they selfproclaimed the future of gaming when it onyl showed things that have been done and it seems that MS was able to merge all the bad things a common pc gamer feared into one dark abyss they call future

MS is late for the party and if they want a good share of this while competing with steam or D2D they have to inovate not bring a clone of Xbox tot he pc

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
I do not harbour any hostile feeling towards homosexual humans, nor do I want to imply that this video has homosexual feelings, but the only thing I feel I can say about this is "that's gay.".

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
IamSofaKingRaw said:
Aurora219 said:
Just waiting for the Elder Scrolls game or Wizards of the Coast RPG where you can port your avatar directly into the game.

brb, cutting myself.
o_O your avatar....makes no sense...how does the hand look like that?
Here. Maybe this will help.

OT though: I'm not the target audience. I don't think any of us are. So no wonder it's getting a lot of flak here. Maybe we should ask some non-gamer groups (because if you think about it, not a lot of that is purely gaming).

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I hate to point fingers, but if you've ever spent any money on an Avatar doodad or article of clothing, you're to blame for this as much as anyone for things going in this direction.

I don't see this as the future of PC gaming, just the precursor to another of Microsoft's failures.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Eagle Est1986 said:
I think I just became a mac gamer. Shame, I was really looking forward to getting back into PC gaming but this has put me off slightly....
Don't despair, there's still Steam. I can say firsthand that Games for Windows Live is less of a 'game service' than 'Microsoft griefing people'.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
dandahammer said:
Interesting; I assume this is based on Kinects real time interaction with the avatar...

I seriously hope it is. First thing I thought of when I saw this video.

And if it's true, then I'm all for something like this.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
[old man voice]

I remember way back when, when this was happenin' to that young, exciting new console, The Revo...no, that's what it used to be called! The Wii! Tha's right, the Wii! Oooh, how exciting and new it was!

[/old man voice]

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Last time I remember, I was HAPPY that my PC gaming experience wasn't a copy of the Xbox 360's but only with more Facebook implementation.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Actually... I don't think this will necessarily be a bad idea.
Microsoft is opening the gamer market to casual gamers, but I see no reason to think they're going to dismiss 'hardcore' gamers.
The main problems don't rest with what's been displayed, but whether they're going to force you to update in order to play a game and whether they're going to force you to use a matchmaking service as opposed to picking from a server list.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
So my Dead Space 2 Security Armored Avatar has a personality now?

Regardless, I don't see the problem with the ad. Microsoft just wants to allow the Xbox and the PC to sort of "Integrate"

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Oh god. OH GOD. I gagged a little bit...

The fuck, Microsoft? Are you trying to ruin the PC's legitimacy as a gaming platform?

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
Oh god, I think the last little bit of my soul fighting against the darkness has been devoured. I can honestly say that this is one of the most disturbing things I've seen microsoft propose...I fear for the future, and weep because stuff has started sucking. Does microsoft even notice that they are alienating the core demographic that they exist upon? GAHAFBSDHFKHABALRG!

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I hereby reject your future and substitute my own. If that really ends up being the future of the "Windows Gaming Experience" then I'm content to continue to submit to my Ostrich Syndrome.

**Alt+Tab's back to DOSbox**

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I don't know what's worse. Microsoft's vision or everyone's reaction. I don't exactly have faith in Microsoft given GFWL's past, but certainly we could be more mature about this. Any time a large company decides to appeal to the dreaded casuals or people with work schedules that don't allow them the time to play games all night long there's an outcry that the end is near and everything should be boycotted or pirated. It makes me ashamed to call myself a gamer when so many of us can't voice our disagreements in a more adult fashion.