Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
MR T3D said:
heh. P0ned

Good god, that makes my hand palm my face every time.
Yeah but at least its not epic for the win, amirite?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The only unforgiveable thing I saw them do was called it "WGX" instead of "WGE".

Nobody, ever, in the history of man has EVER looked at a word that should have started with an e and instead was replaced with the secondary letter of "X" and thought "OH JESUS! I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH THIS PRODUCT AND NEVER LOOK BACK!"

It's an obnoxious farce by old people who do more harm to their brands than good.

They survive despite themselves.

postblitz

May 5, 2009
*slaps Micro$oft across the nipples*

stop distracting me from valve, bioware, blizzard and other REAL game studios!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
JonnWood said:
ultimasupersaiyan said:
I actually applaud Microsoft for this. Causual gamers are cash cows waiting to be milked in over priced micro transactions. As a Golden Age gamer I say this is a great idea since it will mean more money in the video games industry to make better games and make gaming into a more acceptable social activity and less of a sin against moralities like the news media keeps proclaiming.

So a lot of the Hardcore gamers are pissed off, big deal! I was pissed of when the Hardcore audience was formed with the help of the Xbox and thanks to your money games targeted at Golden Age gamers are more awesome then we could ever conceive. Just think of the Casual gamer as more of a giant wallet with money to spread all over the games industry.
Considering that a lot of "hardcore" PC gamers tend to be neckbearded misanthropes who think "social networking" is a four-letter word*, I doubt they'd use this stuff anyway.

Said gamers also seem to have a vested interest in making sure any PC games more involved than Mystery Case Files are kept...impenetrable. I'm not sure why they seem to be so scared of the idea of their platform of choice actually becoming popular for more involved games.

*DISCLAIMER: Use of stereotypes for comedic effect.
You think casual gamers are the only ones who are going to be milked? Everyone is. Every game is going to look like a fragment of a fragment of a fragment, bound together by gimmicks and microtransactions. I consider NFS Hot Pursuit a prime example of "new age social gaming" and look at it. It looks harmless on release day, then you realise you have to activate online play for ONLY YOU and ONLY THIS COPY, and then you can't even play online because half the game modes are new, similar to the default ones but those cost 7$ per pack.

Yes, more money is going to flow in the industry, but to what end? You think those will be used to fund projects like Last Guardian or Dark Souls (ironic that those two examples are console titles, isn't it)? Or to make more cutesy dating sims and jumping games for Kinect? You do know that Kinect and its overwhelming success is to blame for all this, right? You can go on and on about how Kinect is just a piece of hardware and therefore neutral, but that's simply not true. It has a target audience and all the money behind it is used to develop titles for that audience. The mass audience. The audience who wouldn't know a good game if it slapped them across the face.

And don't even get me started on this thing's aesthetics. Why should my gaming interface look like a 1950's musical? What's wrong with neutral, light, user friendly interfaces? What does it say about the intentions of Microsoft when they treat me like a 12 year old girl or a house bound middle aged woman on the fast lane to menopause? There's user friendly, there's corny, and then there's downright fucking retarded.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I can see why this would be discouraging to people, but I don'y see anywhere that they're going to take away all the PC Gaming fun, just expand it's appeal.
Sure, seeing things like Farmville and American Idol hanging around with my preferred games is disappointing, but no more so than when walk into a bookstore and see reams of self-help books, "Hidden Secrets of Who-The-Hell-Ever"'s and "Sad-Sac Girl X Hooks Up With Fictional Creature Y".
No, I just glance at them occasionally, Give either a chuckle or a grimace and move on to my business at hand, Which is usually slightly back a few shelves in a well stocked and partially dismissed section of the store, where I can read, or play, to my hearts content.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
This isn't aimed at us of course, you all know that.
It's aimed at the casual market but doesn't this patronise them? I mean, it basically says women are only interested in buying new clothes. That they'd be willing to fork out money to Microsoft for "virtual items" and various services you could get elsewhere for free or at least cheaper. Pretty damaging campaign in my opinion.

Twinmill5000

Nov 12, 2009
The question is: are you going to get GFWL or at least use it after this? No. Steam's still much better. Microsoft knows they will never compete with Steam, and so are targeting an alternate audience.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I have seen the future of online PC gaming, and it is gay. I mean that literally: every interpersonal interaction we saw there with any delineated sex was homosexual. Dudes with dudes, ladies with ladies.

In addition every single thing they did looked lame and expensive. Thanks, Microsoft! Also, lick my b@(($.

potemkin.hr

Dec 8, 2009
I think they deliberately made such an awful video, so that even if the product will be bad, it WILL be better than WGX video.
You know, exactly the opposite as everyone is doing it today (you see a great and promising trailer, and when you try the actual game, BAM! It hits you with its awfulness like a brick).
Pretty smart move actually, it can't get worse than this :D

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Roland07 said:
I resent the implication I like people enough to play games with them.
*highfive*

Twinmill5000 said:
The question is: are you going to get GFWL or at least use it after this? No. Steam's still much better. Microsoft knows they will never compete with Steam, and so are targeting an alternate audience.
Phoenix Arrow said:
This isn't aimed at us of course, you all know that.
It's aimed at the casual market but doesn't this patronise them? I mean, it basically says women are only interested in buying new clothes. That they'd be willing to fork out money to Microsoft for "virtual items" and various services you could get elsewhere for free or at least cheaper. Pretty damaging campaign in my opinion.
Now cut that out, both of you. You know this is not the place for intelligent analysis. This is the place for exaggerated reactionary disgust and poorly directed rage.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
The video illuminates only one possible avenue in the future of PC gaming in Microsoft's view. Hopefully it's not the only avenue that will exist 10 or 15 years from now.

Also, this avenue focuses on the emerging market of new game players (bored middle-aged mothers and their tech-savvy daughters), rather than the established demographic (man-children who like to shoot and blow up things, myself included) that may be migrating to consoles almost entirely in the future.

I hope and doubt Microsoft, or any other developers, are putting all their eggs in this social games marketplace basket.