Leaked Photo Reveals Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition Details

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Leaked Photo Reveals Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition Details

Field journals and free DLC makes the Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition surprisingly good value.

If you're thinking about shelling out for the Hardened Edition of Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Warfare-Hardened-Playstation-3/dp/B001TOQ8RK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314888958&sr=1-1], you're probably quite interested in finding out what's actually in it. Well, you would seem to be in luck, as a leaked photo has revealed exactly what you're getting for your money.

As well as a Steelbook case and a collectible field journal, it includes a full year's membership to Call of Duty Elite, which in turn grants access to future Modern Warfare 3 DLC. Players also get "Founder Status" on the service, which gives various in-game benefits, like exclusive emblems and camouflage, and perhaps most useful, bonus clan XP. There's also a special outfit for your Xbox 360 avatar, or an "animated timeline" theme for the PS3.

As you can see, the image looks pretty genuine, but it's worth mentioning that the image shows the UK version of the game, so it might be different in other territories. It's probably not going to be all that different though, if it's actually different at all. Undoubtedly, we'll learn more about the Hardened Edition at the Call of Duty XP convention, which starts tomorrow.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii on November 8th.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/08/modern-warfare-3-hardened-edition/]

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Hardened? Really? Yet another way people can equate how much money you spent on the game to the size/vigor of your endowment.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Alexnader said:
Hardened? Really? Yet another way people can equate how much money you spent on the game to the size/vigor of your endowment.
It still doesn't beat Prestige or Legendary.

OT: I wasn't planning to get this on Day 1 or anything, but a year of Elite makes it all the more tempting, considering a year of Elite nets you all the MW3 maps for free. I can't wait to see what Prestige will be like.

spasicle

Nov 9, 2009
I like how maps and stat tracking, something every online game made in the past decade has for free, is now a unique subscription service for Call of Duty. What a joke.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Wonder what the prestige edition's gonna have. Hard to top night vision goggles

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Still not buying it. Battlefield 3 looks like where it's at this year, so due to my intense lack of money, BF3 is where it's going...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
spasicle said:
I like how maps and stat tracking, something every online game made in the past decade has for free, is now a unique subscription service for Call of Duty. What a joke.
Uhhh what? You might what to brush up on what is and isn't free http://www.callofduty.com/elite/elite_features.pdf
before you go trying to run people down with that hater train.

schrobotindisguise

May 12, 2011
If you 'own' the 'free' DLC you get with the Elite service then this will be good value.

If Elite works similar to PSN+ and you can no longer use the DLC when the subscription ends, then this won't look such an attractive deal.

We will have to wait and see i guess.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I gotta say, as Gamers, we really are chumps.

Alot of other mediums have you pay extra for extra features. Books will often cost more at launch for a hard-back cover - which is actually somewhat understandable. Sure, $20 extra for a book is meh, but it gives the book a backbone and helps keep the book in overall good condition.

Then there's movies. $15 for a movie in 3D - an experience that is usually added post-production just to milk the crowd even futher. I would go into snack prices, but thats the theatre's main source of revenue - not the movie itself.

And then Special Release DVD's. These are interesting, as they're usually cheap and contain something cool. Some include things like T-Shirts, collectable figures, etc.

Then we get to videogames. Sure, $20 for a hardback is disgusting, at best. Paying nearly double for a ticket for a headache-inducing headache is another. But Gamers - we have the "special releases".

Release a special piece of paper (usually with something you could just as easily print out on a computer. Assuming its not some 3 paragraph piece of junk no one cares about). Usually a toy that the vast majority of the community will never use. And then the promise of DLC which, in actuallity, should have just been on the game. And how much will that run you - $10, $15, $20 on top of your original $60?!?!?

Try $90. Plus the extra $60. I'll grant Call of Duty this - they are offering far more than the Gears of War special edition. But that offer is total crap. Most of the stuff is just useless junk. Just who cares enough to spend the extra money for a service that in a year will cost you money to renew, a few extra emblems and a color palette swap? Its downright robbery, and it sickens me when I see it.

What other medium is it okay to charge 150% the normal price for useless junk that you are not going to look at. Its bad enough when games cost $60, and people still dish that out. Why willingly dishout the cost of that game, PLUS the cost of another game, PLUS the cost of half of a game, for useless crap? This trend has to stop.

Sam Leighton

Feb 18, 2011
I wonder whether Activision was actually aware of the cock imagery when they named it the Hardened edition. If so, those meetings would have been interesting.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Wow, this looks really good. I might just consider getting it. I hadn't pre-ordered MW3 yet, because I've got so many other games on the way as well, but I might wait a bit longer, then get this version as well.

Fuck the haters, this is a good deal.

May 25, 2010
schrobotindisguise said:
If you 'own' the 'free' DLC you get with the Elite service then this will be good value.

If Elite works similar to PSN+ and you can no longer use the DLC when the subscription ends, then this won't look such an attractive deal.

We will have to wait and see i guess.
In PSN+ anything you buy with a discount, you get to keep forever. It's the free stuff that's gone once your subscription ends.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I think the sad thing is, if it is anything like Black ops.

Paying an extra 20-50 bucks at launch is actually a good deal

If you are just going to get hosed for 4800 ms points or 70 FUCKING dollars *ahem*.

Being a "fan" up front is an economical way to get the full game for less than buying it and the dlc to ensue.