Leaked Portal 2 Achievement Ignites Episode 3 Rumors

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Leaked Portal 2 Achievement Ignites Episode 3 Rumors

Aperture Science might be trying to tell us something.

We're less than two months away from the planned April 20th release date of the sequel to Valve's beloved Portal, which means that it's time to start seeing some leaked information (or, if you prefer, "leaked" information). Xbox360achievements [http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/portal-2/achievements/] obtained the full achievement list for the Xbox 360 version of the game, and while most of them are what we've come to expect from Valve (yes, there is one called "Still Alive") one in particular has the rumor mill abuzz about how Portal 2 might tie into the long, long, long-awaited Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

The achievement in question is called "Ship Overboard," with the requirement: "Discover the missing experiment." It doesn't sound like much, right? However, fans of the Half-Life series will likely immediately make the connection with the Borealis [http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Borealis], an Aperture Science research vessel supposedly carrying dangerous and experimental cargo. Trying to beat Gordon Freeman's Black Mesa laboratory to the punch, Aperture ignored safety protocols - and Borealis vanished along with all hands.

The discovery of the Borealis in an undisclosed Arctic climate was a major plot point in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (watch the scene here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM9QoP3ghlo], in case you need a refresher), with Dr. Kleiner hypothesizing that the ship's experimental cargo could be humanity's key weapon in the struggle against the Combine.

Oh, and the Borealis was also a prominent part of the very first Episode 3 teaser art [http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en/images/5/52/Borealis_Advisors.jpg] from five bajillion years ago. There's that, too.

So what could this all mean? Not unexpectedly, Valve fans have already warmed up the discussion engine quite well enough on their own [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ft2hx/portal_2_to_link_directly_into_halflife_2_episode/]. The sticking point is that Portal 2 is set over a century after the events of the first game, which was itself set well after the Black Mesa incident from the original Half-Life. Even if Chell could find the Borealis, what secrets could it possibly hold?

That is, unless the secret is time travel. Which would be pretty monumental, now that I think about it.

Of course, this could also just be Valve yanking everybody's collective chain as the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 team uses their cut of the Steam fortune to hold donuts-and-beer parties, while snickering to themselves at how everybody actually thinks that they're actually working on the game. Can't rule that out, no sirree.

(via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/28/portal-2-achievement-invites-half-life-2-ep-3-conspiracy-theory/])

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Wishful thinking I presume. Although I'm sure there will be links to Black Mesa throughout.

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
I'm sorry. I love Valve and their games but they're release pacing is awful and as good as their work is, I just refuse to let this "leaked" bit of news excite me. I officially stopped holding my breath for Valve games long ago.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Rivers Wells said:
I'm sorry. I love Valve and their games but they're release pacing is awful and as good as their work is, I just refuse to let this "leaked" bit of news excite me. I officially stopped holding my breath for Valve games long ago.
Same here, honestly.

The moment some real information comes out about it is the moment I start freaking out. Not a moment before then.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
MrSnugglesworth said:
Rivers Wells said:
Same here, honestly.

The moment some real information comes out about it is the moment I start freaking out. Not a moment before then.
This, I understand that they take their time so they don't release a half assed game but good lord this is insane. I'll get excited again when Gabe actually explains just what the fuck has been taking so long with this game.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I think I just heard Valve getting another $100,000,000 of free press. I wish people would stop falling for this crap.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I'm not holding my breath for Episode 3 (although it would certainly be appreciated), but what's 'conversion gel'? Is it the rumored gel that lets you walk on walls? That'd be sweet.

Also, it's nice to see Valve still has their wit and science references on full display here.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I've got it!

Using the Borealis' teleporter time travel device you travel back to Black Mesa moments before the Cascade. Where upong you deliver a large quantity od data to Eli Vance and prevent the Combine from ever having their attention drawn to Earth.

As a result you are written out of existence and Gordon Freeman is just some boring science bod working in a lab in the desert.

The end...

Also, does anyone seriously believe we'll be playing Portal 2 this April?

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
As much as VALVe games have quality, that quality is pretty old by todays standards, I mean seriously, Source needs an update. So there is no excuse for why Episode 3 is taking so long.
In fact Episodic titles are supposed to be shorter, sold for less and take less time to make, VALVe has the first 2 but what about 3? I can't wait for their excuse to be "It's only been 4 years."

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Damn, there's not a lot of meat to this. The one thing we DO know about the Episode Three/Portal connection is that the Borealis is involved somehow. All this really tells us is that the Borealis (or some kind of nod to it) is probably also in Portal 2.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh piss off.

I'm not biting. Not something that bloody vague.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'm so sick of people bitching about episode 3 that even if it comes out, I'm not playing it. That's how tired I am. I will -never- play it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
EDIT: Whoa. Delayed action double post.

Feel free to delete etc etc.