Leaked Premise for Alien Prequel Supposedly Explains Xenomorph Origins

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Leaked Premise for Alien Prequel Supposedly Explains Xenomorph Origins

Prequel also reportedly explains the origins of the human race, and even the Earth as we know it.

A leaked synopsis for Prometheus, the kinda-sorta-prequel to Alien, has hit the internet and it makes for some interesting reading. The leak supposedly comes from someone close to the production, although that's rather difficult to verify.

According to the synopsis, in 2058, an archeological find reveals that humans were genetically engineered by a race of aliens. These aliens, supposedly the same species as the "Space Jockey" discovered by the crew of Nostromo in Alien, also terraformed the Earth, making it a safe place for us to live. Part of the find is the coordinates to the Space Jockey homeworld, and the Weyland Corporation send a ship, predictably enough called the Prometheus, to investigate. On arriving in the Zeta Riticuli system, the crew of the Prometheus is greeted by the Space Jockeys, who are proud of their children for reaching such advanced levels of technology.

The Space Jockeys share parts of their biotech with the crew, but one member decides that it's not enough and steals the key to the terraforming technology. This does not go down well with the Space Jockeys, who unleash their favorite bio-weapon, a creature they use to clear planets for colonization. Things don't go exactly the plan, however, and the bio-weapons - which is almost certainly supposed to the iconic aliens - turn on their creators and in the process create meaner, nastier versions of themselves. The remaining members of the Prometheus crew try to escape the planet, with a Space Jockey in hot pursuit, looking for revenge.

If the synopsis is genuine, and there's not really any way to tell if it is or isn't, it's something of a mixed bag. There are some interesting ideas in there, such as parallels to the Prometheus of myth, and the Xenomorphs being designed as weapons, rather than being something that naturally evolved. On the other hand, space gods having created humanity doesn't seems a rather far cry from the dark horror aesthetics of the first Alien movie. That part sounds more like Alien vs. Predator, and that's never a good sign.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5816884/if-this-is-actually-the-real-plot-for-ridley-scotts-prometheus-just-shoot-us-now]

vaderaider

Nov 2, 2009
"On the other hand, space gods having created humanity doesn't seems a rather far cry from the dark horror aesthetics of the first Alien movie."

Am I just reading it wrong or is that a mistake?

OT: Sounds intresting, I like the idea of having more from the space jockeys, It's been a while since I have seen alien but I'm pretty sure nothing about the space jockeys was explained.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
I always enjoyed the mystery around that alien in the first Alien film. Some things don't' need explaining. I guess they are going to balls it up like Lucas did with explaining the origins of the force.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
They betther make it awesome, or else... it will still get huge box-office results, but... maybe mr. Plinkett will review it! That'll show them!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's this film going to be rated 18/ R than it's on the right track well even if it rated that it could still be a flop.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I have lost absolutely all interest in this film. You know, I wonder if I expected better?

Why does it seems a lot of these remakes aren't about the characters as much as they are about the setting and backstory? Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 weren't about the damn Xenomorphs!! They were primarily human dramas with a strong focus on human frailty & strength, horror and the unknown. By the time Alien 4 comes along all that has been utterly thrown out the window in favour of more action and alien screentime, this can further be seen in the AvP films.

I've little hope for this beyond wait and see.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
vaderaider said:
OT: Sounds intresting, I like the idea of having more from the space jockeys, It's been a while since I have seen alien but I'm pretty sure nothing about the space jockeys was explained.
I've seen Alien fairly recently, but I can't say that I remember anything about the Space Jockey, let alone hearing it being referred to as the "space jockey".

All in all, the synopsis reminded me of something from comic books; specifically Marvel's cosmic god-like beings, the Celestials [http://www.comicvine.com/celestials/65-13343/].

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Why in the hell do the aliens need an origin story? This just seems stupid.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Sounds pretty good, although i've never been a fan of the alien movies, but what would I know. =/

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I would love to see a Blair Witch type film with 1 xenomorph as the antagonist only catching glimpses of it. I like my monsters mysterious and lethal.

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
I liked the idea of the space jockeys and thought it was pretty cool when you first saw them in the movie, but keeping the time you see them in the game to the minimum would be better. I don't think they should be part of the game but I think you should come into contact with them again. Maybe not face to face but just something small. Even evidence that they'd been somewhere you go in the game would be good. Something that hints towards them being relevant somehow. Just leave them a mystery. They could take the race wway further if they did that.

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
oh sorry, I thought you were on about the game. I didn't realise it was a movie you were on about

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What's the point? The framchise is sufficiently dead as it is, it doesn't need to be extra deaded. Shouldn't they be looking for some franchises that are still active to deal with, rather than wasting their time on something they've got already? AVP2 was a masterstroke of franchise killing, won't be topped, though it looks like they are giving it a good go.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
HAY GUISE I HAVE AN IDEA

LETS TAK A MOVIE ABOUT TEH HORROR OF THE UNKNOWN AND MAIK ANOTHER MOVIE THAT EXPLAINS ALL TEH UNKNOWN STUF

Way to completely miss the point, guys.