Leaked Source Engine 2 Screenshot Hints At Left 4 Dead 3

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Leaked Source Engine 2 Screenshot Hints At Left 4 Dead 3

A prominent NeoGAF leaker has posted an image of Left 4 Dead 2's plantation level in what is reportedly the Source 2 engine.

NeoGAF users "crazy buttocks on a train" (CBOAT) may have a ludicrous name, but he is well known for leaking confidential information to the public, and has a pretty good track record. This time, he has leaked what appears to be a PowerPoint presentation on Valve's upcoming "Source 2" engine, which hints at a possible Left 4 Dead sequel.

For starters, check out the full leaked PowerPoint presentation screenshot below (click to enlarge):
[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/670/670159.jpg]

The highlighted slide very clearly states "Plantation Level of L4D2 - rebuilt in Source 2.0 with increased level of detail". To the side, you can see several more slides which compare the Plantation Level in the current Source engine to its reported 2.0 counterparts. The Source 2.0 images have noticeably enhanced foliage, large amounts of high quality destruction, and improved lighting and shadow effects.

Furthermore, Valve Time [http://www.valvetime.net/threads/source-2-left-4-dead-2-prototype-screenshots-leaked.244266/] has obtained a higher resolution copy of one of the presentation's screenshots, which you can see below (click to enlarge):
[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/670/670157.jpg]

These images seem pretty convincing, and may even point to a Left 4 Dead 3 being in the works (Left 4 Dead 2 featured some of the original Left 4 Dead's maps re-made in the new engine).

We have reached out to Valve to confirm the legitimacy of these screenshots.

Inb4 "Half-Life 3 confirmed".

Source: Valve Time [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758999]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
"We have reached out to Valve to confirm the legitimacy of these screenshots."

Heh, good luck with that. Valve are one of the most secretive companies in the industry.

This is most likely a tech demo I would have thought. Recreating something familiar in order to show off new tech. Still though, it looks fantastic.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Half-Life 3 NOT confirmed!

Sure as hell hope they have a Source Engine 2 being made/finished by now. They need to update their over decade old engine to get in terms of current competition. Sure HL2 had a great physics system with Source#1 that was far above other games, but that was how many years ago? Ya, others have stepped up to plate. And the indie scene has exposed a plethora of talent that has brought out great games.

I'm really hoping for another Half-Life to follow up the events of HL2:Ep#2, but my "high hopes" have faded into shadows as the years have morphed on without it. A new engine that makes other games cry, AND a game worth showing it off in, that's something that might be worth shinning some hope-light onto it.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
If the images are authentic, which I'm not going to make a judgment on, there seems to be some serious quality issues with the leaves in the images.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To be honest I dont see that much of a jump, comparing to the original sure looks a lot better but the original already looked crappy even by Source standards

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm excited for Source 2. Source engine is a marvel of software engineering. I can't wait to see what they'll do with Source 2.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
But.. That'd mean they'd have to release a third game in a series.. No way, there is no way.

One person above me said it, I also think it is a tech demo. Valve has recreated stuff before just to show off stuff.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Well that was underwhelming. Outside of the lighting and added clutter there isn't all that much good about it, by todays standards at least. Plus those leaves look terrible. Good res, sure, but they're still just a bunch of squares. We've had more natural looking leaves close to 10 years ago.

It is supposed to be from 3 years ago though. So there's a chance it's become more of a "next-gen" engine by now. Interested to see it in action too, Valve usually do good work with their physics.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Roofstone said:
But.. That'd mean they'd have to release a third game in a series.. No way, there is no way.
Yeah, they will likely release L4D 3 and sometime after that we will finally get the other third game in a game series.

The one that we have waited years for.

The one that all players have begged for.

The One that all gamers in the world have been anticipating with sheer excitement, but also frustration (due to Valve's secrecy).

Finally, at last, Valve will deliver.

The big one.....er, I mean the big 3.

People will smile, people will cry tears of joy, people will dance.

I am of course talking about:

Team Fortress 3.

:p

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
L4D all fine but im more interested in HL3. but sure looks nice, even when the old engine still looks amazing but yes, its starting to get old. lets hope source 2 will be still HW friendly.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Roofstone said:

One person above me said it, I also think it is a tech demo. Valve has recreated stuff before just to show off stuff.
Counter Strike: Global Offensive

A third version has already been unleashed on the world, prepare for the end times!

More seriously, even Valve have produce that difficult third campaign sooner or later.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Inb4 "Half-Life 3 confirmed".
Dammit! You know things are getting serious when the OP even knows that Half-Life 3 aka full-life 6 is confirmed.

So can we also start assuming Portal 3, Team Fortress 3, um Counterstrike 3?

2014 year of the valve 3's

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Ultratwinkie said:
Here is a comparison to the original map. Big difference.

Hope its real. The ONE valve game we would get for the next 10 years would be orgasmic. Source might take everything by storm if its really good.
How much would you personally pay to get a copy of L4D2 reconstructed (to a reasonable degree) with all of the more advanced physics, animations/IK, a.i., lighting, textures, and polycount but the same general gameplay?

Personally I think 20-30 dollars would be alright with a 50% discount for those that already own it. Reason I am asking this out of the blue is that I generally find your responses relatively informed and interesting.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if anything is the precursor to HL3 it's a new engine, we have been saying it for a while now that they would hardly rock out their top IP with an old horse.

They could possibly go for the trifecta, new console/OS, new game engine and a new big game... if it will be HL3 however remains to be seen, they have a lot on their plate right now and the company while filthy rich has very few people.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
black_knight1337 said:
Well that was underwhelming. Outside of the lighting and added clutter there isn't all that much good about it, by todays standards at least. Plus those leaves look terrible. Good res, sure, but they're still just a bunch of squares. We've had more natural looking leaves close to 10 years ago.

It is supposed to be from 3 years ago though. So there's a chance it's become more of a "next-gen" engine by now. Interested to see it in action too, Valve usually do good work with their physics.
When it comes to showing off an engine, the res is far more important than the shape. The shape means they were just hastily throwing together the scene to make it look demonstrable. The res shows that the engine is capable of displaying high res textures without using much resources or losing frame rate. It's not much of a big deal today to show that, but it still something we can't see right now with static images.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saw this yesterday. Hoping it's true, but CBOAT's been hit and miss in the past.

Far more hit than miss, I'll grant, but still...

Ultratwinkie said:
CS:GO is pretty much Counterstrike: Source with a graphical update and pretty much nothing else. Even with that total overhaul, they only charge now 15$.
Don't want to really argue on the other points in your post as I agree with some of them, but I had to contest this one.

GO is a vast improvement over CS:Source and 1.6. Certainly far more than just a graphical face lift.

The bevy of new matchmaking, hosting, casting, and community tools alone are worth more than the asking price.

At launch, I would have agreed with you. However, with the constant flow of content updates Valve's made it into something Source never was.

Steven Bogos said:
These images seem pretty convincing, and may even point to a Left 4 Dead 3 being in the works.
This was already confirmed, along with evidence showing that Half-Life 3 was also in development, some months ago.

Twice, in fact. Once with the JIRA leaks and again when someone on a tour at Valve HQ took a photo of a screen displaying project update listings.

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3-source-2-much-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/valve-jira-database-accessed-once-more-hl3-l4d3-source-2-groups-expand.243965/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/left-4-dead-3-listing-spotted-during-valve-office-tour/1100-6412562/