Leap of Fate Review - Techno-Magical Rogueishness

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Leap of Fate Review - Techno-Magical Rogueishness

Leap of Fate's technology-meets-magic setting is interesting, but the game truly shines in the heat of its frenetic, dynamic combat.

Read Full Article

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I picked this up at PSE or TwitchCon (cant remember which) its actually pretty fun. Ive enjoyed it.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Uh... This game isn't related to Hand of Fate at all? The other combat focused rogue-lite which builds its each of its levels out of a tarot deck? I actually assumed it was a sequel or something as I was reading this, but there doesn't seem to be any connection.

That's... weird.

It's not just me, that's a little too close to be a coincidence, right?

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Lunncal said:
Uh... This game isn't related to Hand of Fate at all? The other combat focused rogue-lite which builds its each of its levels out of a tarot deck? I actually assumed it was a sequel or something as I was reading this, but there doesn't seem to be any connection.

That's... weird.

It's not just me, that's a little too close to be a coincidence, right?
THANK YOU! That was exactly the first thing that occurred to me when I heard about it last year. I'd played the hell out of HoF, so it struck me immediately. I stumbled across the LoF booth at PAX last year, so I took the opportunity to ask them about it.

I'm told that LoF was in early stages of development when the HoF Kickstarter launched. There was no way either team knew what the other was doing, so it was, apparently, a cosmic coincidence.

For anybody that's played much HoF, the focus on the two are basically opposite each other. Hand of Fate didn't put any real emphasis on the combat. It served a purpose, but it wasn't what the game was about. The events were what HoF was really all about. Leap of Fate, on the other hand, is all about making combat fun and exciting. There are only like 5 or 6 different types of cards, but there are 50 or more combat talents.

I can unconditionally recommend both games, absolutely, but if you want to pick one, that's about the best way to decide.

Edit: Which reminds me: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167094-Hand-of-Fate-2-RPG-Rogue-Deck-Building-Hack-and-Slash