Learning my first programming language :-D what should I learn?

Annoying Turd

Jul 3, 2009
I'm such a beginner at coding I can't write a webpage. I want to learn programming so I can be useful someday, and maybe girls might finally like me.

What programming language is best to start learning with? Why? How am I supposed to begin earning the skills to become an expert programmer?

What should I keep in mind while programming? Anything I must know? Programming tips?

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Start with Visual Basic .net, it has the easiest syntax and will let you see the results of your work really quickly. Your goal here isn't to become and expert in VB but to learn the common control statements and code flow that is shared across almost all programming languages.

Things like if/else statements, for, while loops, variables and functions exist in pretty much every programming language that exists. Learn these, and you'll be able to pick up different languages(and succeed with them) much easier.

The systems are the same, it just the different languages have different ways of naming them and using them.

grehembelly

May 18, 2011
How about Delphi it`s typical object programming language. I wonder who good at Assembler because it almost alien language to me.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
If you want to learn web design start with HTML its really simple and there are tons of great begginger tutorials out there

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
aba1 said:
If you want to learn web design start with HTML its really simple and there are tons of great begginger tutorials out there
From there, if you think you might make a career of being a coder, move to Java.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
If you want to do some scientific work do some programming with Python, it has easy to understand syntaxes and works without all these brackets and extra stuff C has.

And as someone else said, try out Visual Basic (+maybe html).

TheDarklite

Nov 26, 2010
C++!!!! It will confuzzle the poople out of you!!

Or as a very wise fellow (thePyro_13) said, start with Visual Basic. It is one of the easier ones out there. You could also play around with shell scripting or something if you want to get the hand of nested if statements better.... But Visual Basic is definitely a great starting point.

Just head over to microsoft, grab a compiler, find a tutorial and get started!!

CyberSkull

Sep 28, 2007
For programming, start with C. Despite what Microsoft would have your believe, C is the foundation that pretty much every OS and device is built on. With C you will learn not only the basics of programming but also a good foundation in how computers work.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
I would say Java. (Just universal, easy to learn, good depth, good possibilities. MANY people program in it) When i was studying computer science it was the ONE language you just HAD to learn.

I myself started with Basic though (yeah... the OLD basic) and then C and C++. C# it would be now i guess.

Also: Getting woman to like you... for coding? Hehehehe...

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
CyberSkull said:
For programming, start with C. Despite what Microsoft would have your believe, C is the foundation that pretty much every OS and device is built on. With C you will learn not only the basics of programming but also a good foundation in how computers work.
I would say C is pretty bothersome, I learned it in the uni because we had to do it, then someone came up with Python and it is so much easier for scientific work and is even faster.

CyberSkull

Sep 28, 2007
bakan said:
CyberSkull said:
I would say C is pretty bothersome, I learned it in the uni because we had to do it, then someone came up with Python and it is so much easier for scientific work and is even faster.
And what do you think the Python interpreter is written in? ;)

Feb 13, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
If anything, it's one of those common subjects that turns women off.
I know quite a few women who program. Some of whom started in FORTRAN. There's a lot that can be learned from someone with that much patience.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The best option to start learning is Pascal. Its not pretty, nor is it particularly easy, but its a language designed to learn to program... Its a good place to acquire good practices, and it will force you to use them. Delphi is a good place too, since its the descendant of Pascal, with more modern applications.

A good place to start learning is a good book. Try getting something about Structured Programming (Dijkstra is a classic and still relevant)... Avoid any of the "learn how to program in xxx days", since they are basically cookbooks with little formal programming. Another good place to go for reference is Internet... there are thousands of examples and reference sites out there, for almost any language.

Why do I make such emphasis in formal programming? Because if you learn how to program, learning any new language is easy (can be done in less than a week), but if you start by learning a programming language without the basics, its a lot harder to adapt to a different language later on...

Once you have learned the basics of programming and good practices, you can move to a more modern language. I think the best of them are C++, C# or Java, but that really depends on your interests. If you are interested in web pages, you should also learn JavaScript.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
CyberSkull said:
bakan said:
CyberSkull said:
And what do you think the Python interpreter is written in?
Rethoric question to make me sound stupid?
I know it is originally written in C, doesn't change my statement that it is easier to use and that C is bothersome at first.
And if you want to start programming without any background knowledge C isn't the easiest to use.

CyberSkull

Sep 28, 2007
bakan said:
CyberSkull said:
bakan said:
CyberSkull said:
And what do you think the Python interpreter is written in?
Rethoric question to make me sound stupid?
I know it is originally written in C, doesn't change my statement that it is easier to use and that C is bothersome at first.
And if you want to start programming without any background knowledge C isn't the easiest to use.
Learning C first will make you appreciate all the higher level languages even more. ;)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
CyberSkull said:
I would say go straight to C++ if that is an option.
C has some pretty lousy pointers handling that makes it harder to learn if you are new or careless. Sure its powerful, but its not "rookie friendly"...