Least Favorite Features in Video Games

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
thebobmaster said:
Vigormortis, what did you think of how Bioshock told the story?
Well, let me explain a bit more. On reflection I realize I didn't quite explain exactly what I meant. I didn't really mean all cutscenes are bad. On a few occasions having a scene pan out in a panning camera kind of effect, say, in an adventure game is ideal, but for most genre's, especially fps's or anything with a first person point of view or fixed perspective, a cutscene that goes to a point of view separate from the character/players pov and has the camera panning around just doesn't feel right to me. It seems like someone took clips of something else and mixed it in with your story. Breaks the flow of the game. They could easily make the in-game camera transition smoothly around to show a scene or story element without disrupting the action, but most just essentially pause the game and load a cutscene. These just don't fit most games today.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
HalfShadow said:
Unskippable cutscenes. Long unskippable cutscenes.

Seriously, fuck you.
I agree. It's as if the developer thinks "we've put all this time into making this pretentious game and you'll damn well sit there and like it." Wrong!

Jolly Madness

Mar 21, 2008
Timers on strategy games, in StarCraft and alike, I like to build up slowly and unleash the biggest conquest ever seen to mankind. Timers kill my inner child.

And as someone has brought up here before, grenades. CoD4, most of the singleplayer campaign on veteran consisted of running away every time a grenade icon appearead on my screen, and they're ridiculously powerful. In opposition to the grenades in BF2, they shake your screen a little. And smoke grenades, in CS they make a thin layer of smoke which disappears after a few seconds. In CoD4, they cover a bout one square kilometre of thick fog, making it impossible for both you, and your enemy to see your own weapon.

And I could survive without grenade designs that wary from game to game "Wait... is this a flashbang, an explosive one, teargas, smoke or sunshine?"

I could also survive without moving sniper sights (yes, I'm looking at you CoD4 and Crysis).
In CoD4, you can hold your breath, but my character can't hold it for more then 5 seconds before making the aiming wiggly again. Yes, I know it's realistic, but after TF2 came out, I've been praising every game for it's lack of seriousity, games are supposed to be fun. I don't want to relive the Vietnam war as it was because some psychopath thinks that the world should learn how horrible it was.