Left 16 Dead Doesn't Go Very Well

fer1wi

Jun 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Left 16 Dead Doesn't Go Very Well

In an age of increasingly large multiplayer modes, why do Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 only offer four-player co-op? ...oh, that's why.

Now, I've been playing quite a bit of Left 4 Dead 2 these past few days, and it's safe to say that I'm enjoying it quite a bit ... but I won't say any more, lest I spoil the experience tomorrow. Crap, I've already said too much!

But in case anyone ever complains to you that the four-player co-op in the Left 4 Dead games - and the only eight-player Versus mode - is way too small, and Valve needs to get with the times because MAG is clearly going to be the best game ever, you should just show them the above video. This is what happens when you hack L4D2 to allow sixteen Survivors to all play together.

Methinks this isn't exactly how Gabe Newell intended the game to be played.

I agree, Funk. This was obviously chaotic. Although, I imagine this was online campaign.

Now, 16-player versus, if properly executed, will be absolute mayhem, but in a good way.

Now all I'm thinking of is how will a game of Survival will go with 16 people, and when we will get mods for L4D1 and L4D2 character skins in L4D2...

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Quite the contrary, I think that would be amazing. Especially if you found a way to have the AI direct double the amount of zombies.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Russian_Assassin said:
The survivors outnumber the infected! I feel bad for the poor hunters and other special infected!

Internet Kraken said:
I wonder what would happen if a Charger came when they were all next to a window in Dead Center 1.

I imagine it would be hilarious.
Not quite as funny as 2 hunters leaping off a building because they missed you. As heavy says: GOOD TAIMZ!
Better yet, have both a hunter and a jocky jump at you, miss with the (more valuable) jocky falling to his death and the hunter landing on the ledge below having to take a huge detour so he commit suicide instead, followed by the obligatory charger which hit a doorframe and was gunned down at point blank range and on the second balcony a tank finds out the hard way that he doesn't fit on the ledge either.

Not to be a buzzkill, it will probably end up with 15 people hanging from the ledge.

And yes, l16d sucks on maps MADE FOR FOUR PLAYERS yet it's completely awesome on maps designed to accommodate 16 people, something which the article fails to mention.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yeah thats awesome if it didn't totally lagged left 16 dead would be epic! just need the amp up the director to spawn 4 tanks and 8 special infected at all times!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Be no problem if they were in a city of 3 million people. That would be pretty damn awesome.

I'd love an MMO that was nothing more deep than "we've recreated the topography of the United states and put 300 million zombies in it. Your job is to survive. You can find shit and survive. That's it...you can betray people too I guess...but then you'll have a harder time surviving."

You need to acquire sustenance for your group, maybe build a base out of a mall or something, then as the schools of zombies (I like fishes so I call them schools...deal) move around the country some people get overwhelmed. Maybe have your rank identified by how long you survive. Once you die you make a new char with a new name and your old one ends up on a leaderboard. I'm sure someone would find a way to abuse and hide somewhere, but that's the technical stuff you fix later (with say infected animals that will kill folks who try to hide up the nose of George Washington at Mount Rushmore for a year).

Oh yeah and have actual limited bullet supplies :p. That would be kind of neat. So the longer the MMO runs, the more hardcore survival becomes and the more sadistic people become. It would be like eve but I might actually want to play it.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
Daveman said:
I saw like 3 zombies in that entire thing.
Same here. It pretty much becomes a cakewalk. Doesn't seem like the AI director can keep up. Also notice how there are two chainsaw Coaches. Why would there be two chainsaws on the map? Seems odd.

I can only imagine how horrible this would be on the 360.

BTW: here's it with 20 players [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj9IaN_KFfU].

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
laryri said:
Internet Kraken said:
I wonder what would happen if a Charger came when they were all next to a window in Dead Center 1.

I imagine it would be hilarious.
This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A] would be better.
That was the most wonderful thing I have ever seen in my life.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If the amount of zombies would be upped accordingly, I would've laughed a lot harder. Oh the delicious chaos.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Oh man I saw this months ago.

But when people say 16 players, don't they generally mean 8v8? And NOT on the tiny corridored maps?

How about this: 12 bot survivors. You can see your charger rush here!

And this is just a bug for a mod...

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
I can see it now, a hunter and smoker hiding behind a desk, as 16 humans rush by, hunter shoves out the smoker to save his own ass.