Left 4 Dead 2 Almost Had a Cabin in the Woods Expansion

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2 Almost Had a Cabin in the Woods Expansion

MGM's bankruptcy stymied collaboration between Cabin director Goddard and Valve.

Cabin in the Woods - the movie built entirely out of twists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5577-Cabin-In-The-Woods] - was one of this year's early horror hits. Directed by Drew Goddard and written by Goddard and Joss Whedon, this tricky little movie had a difficult development history thanks in part to studio MGM's 2010 bankruptcy. That bankruptcy, it turns out, cost the gaming world something that could have been great: a Cabin themed Left 4 Dead 2 expansion pack.

The details were revealed in a Reddit Q&A session with Goddard. "You were gonna be able to play in both the upstairs "Cabin in the Woods" world and the downstairs "facility" world with all the monsters," Goddard said. "Believe me, I HATE all video games based on movies, they always suck, but porting Cabin into Left 4 Dead felt like the right fit. It pains me that it didn't happen." He thanked Valve for letting him use some of their creations in Cabin.

Immediate fan reaction was OMG, quickly followed by cries of Kickstarter, Take My Money, and wild plans about creating a fan-made level via AMA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119748-Steam-Opens-Left-4-Dead-2-to-User-Made-Content] covered a lot of ground, Goddard didn't return to the Left 4 Dead topic.

"I'll remember this text-based chat forever," he said in parting. "It was like playing Zork, but with more me."

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/109ik5/hi_im_drew_goddard_director_of_the_cabin_in_the/]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, i enjoyed the movie, so maybe this might be good as well. at least is valve. so there is hope :)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait so this isn't a completely cheap horny teens get slaughtered in the woods and the sluttiest chick bites it first kind of flick?
May need to check it out then.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Wait so this isn't a completely cheap horny teens get slaughtered in the woods and the sluttiest chick bites it first kind of flick?
Well... yes, it is that type of movie. But at the same time it isn't.

Sorry, I can't say any more than that if you are going to see it. It's kind of one of those movies that gets better the less you know about it on your first viewing...

At least just check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Mr.K. said:
It's a deconstruction of those films. I can't really say much more without giving away most of the plot of the movie.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Buskii said:
Watch Moviebob's review of it. It made me go and watch it
DO NOT watch his review of it until after you see it. Avoid finding out anything about it before seeing it if at all possible. I went into it without knowing anything other than who made it and that it was a horror movie (I hadn't even seen the trailer), and my life is better for it. If you really do need to be convinced, his review is not bad, but it really is one of those "the less you know the first time you see it the better" kind of things. It's very refreshing to not have any expectations or preconceived notions or anything and to just sit down and watch something, and then to be rewarded with something fairly new and different for your efforts.