Left 4 Dead 2 Ban Surprised, Saddened Valve

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
There is a distinct reason Unicorns are extinct and destroyed from history.

And it isn't because they were peace lovers...

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I think that parents, while happy to buy a M/MA 15+ game for little 13 year old timmy, would think twice about getting him an R 18+ game. Which is why Atkinson's logic goes to hell.

I think we should all move to South Australia and vote him out at the next election.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Woodsey said:
That makes no sense. If it's not suitable for people under 18 (i.e. children, although I hate saying that as I'm 15 and perfectly able to play an 18)
I'm sorry, but you're exactly the reason why we have people like Michael Atkinson fighting to ban certain videogames, because they don't think introducing a 18+ rating will change anything. You're only giving the man ammunition. If we want to have an R rating, we need to show that we, as human beings, have enough responsibility to conform to the ratings system, otherwise, you know, what's the point? Hell, it's people like you that make me think that certain games should be banned.

Pegghead said:
Maybe we should like, launch a petition to the government or something. I would, but I do not know how.
http://www.petitiononline.com/l4d2inoz/petition-sign.html
Here it is, if you think it will, you know, do anything...

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9PgLm__i7w

I'm guessing this about sums up what Valve be thinking of the Board right about now.

Cxizent

Jan 14, 2009
Why, Australia, why? Why are you such a dick, all the time? I swear I'm going to move to Canada if much more of this bullshit crops up.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Cxizent said:
Why, Australia, why? Why are you such a dick, all the time?
Because Michael Atkinson hates freedom, and any attempts to resolve this issue with violence would be counterproductive.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
You know, if they do this with HL episode 3 as well, we may the the first game driven revolution.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
That's one step to rid the world of rapid-fire sequels instead of actually adding to the first game.
I do have to say you're doing a remarkable job of keeping up the faith in the face of overwhelming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94660-More-Left-4-Dead-1-DLC-to-Come-After-Crash-Course] evidence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94599-Valve-Flies-L4D2-Boycotters-to-HQ-to-Prove-Them-Wrong] that the boycott was barking up the wrong tree from the beginning. But seriously, censorship is going to stop a sequel? That's your new angle? This isn't Fahrenheit 451, you know. But I guess it's all the boycott has left at this point.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
...A Pacifist zombie game actually sounds really cool. Obviously not the zombies being pacifist, but imagine a game where you are outrunning a zombie hoard, boarding up windows, stealthing, hiding, environmental traps, supply hunting, and maybe making a few moral/story choices along the way. And without the reassuring gun or ax in your hand, the game would be scary as hell.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Amnestic said:
Radeonx said:
How about, instead of zombies and guns, we use unicorns and pillows. Won't that be fun?
Maybe if Left 4 Dead 2 had more rainbows this wouldn't be an issue.

Image snip.

See? No one has an issue with Diablo 3's dark and eeevul themes. It's all down to the rainbows.
Go post that same comment in the Steam Forums, and ask the community to make a mod that will allow the game through the Australian ratings process. I'm curious to see what would happen.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
So long as Steam doesn't have a problem with it, I might get it when I'm in America next June. That is, unless Valve and the Retard Association reach a compromise before the release date.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
LTK_70 said:
Cajt said:
Destal said:
I fail to understand why all games must be suitable for under 18, I thought that was the reason for the rating system.

Pacifist Zombie invasion? I'll keep mine the old fashoned way.
Hippie zombies? Interesting.
Very interesting. "Eat vegs, not brains!"

Although I think that a zombiefying virus that turns all of its victims into hippies is infinitely more terrifying than what L4D is actually like. *shudder*
Actually, hippie zombies say "GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIINSSSSSSSSSSSS."
But here is another issue about violence. Don't bills usually get a vote from Parlament?
Or does the Austrailian Prime Minster just get to veto things regardless of votes?

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
SultanP said:
Damn I'm glad not to be living in Australia, Germany, or the USA. It seems they keep fucking with the entertainment industry.
USA lets us have everthing we want here. The only things that are fucked are some of the ideas we get for movies

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Destal said:
I fail to understand why all games must be suitable for under 18, I thought that was the reason for the rating system.

Pacifist Zombie invasion? I'll keep mine the old fashoned way.
Ya thats what i thought to, but then you get people yelling that kids are going to get the games anyway, but yet again thats not a problem with the rating system its a problem with parents not doing their homework on it.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
Deshara said:
All the special infected simply go ragdoll, which is slightly disapointing when you land a perfect headshot on a smoker as he drags you off your feet and barely save yourself, only to see the smoker slump over limply.
I'm pretty sure smokers just explode in a puff of smoke; I don't remember seeing any ragdolls. It's been a while since I played though...

Rutawitz said:
Australia is fucking retarded
2012 Wont Happen said:
The Australian government is the new Jack Thompson.
I will remind our international friends here that "Australia" is not a synonym for "Michael Atkinson". Please do not generalise our country to that dim-witted, near-sighted douchebag that is Mr. Atkinson. I feel ashamed to live in South Australia.

seule said:
It's cheaper to buy it off steam anyways, seriously, classified or not, it's still cheaper to buy something on steam, or even have a friend in the US get it and ship it to me.
Unfortunately, chances are that Valve will be required to conform to our ridiculous rating system and the game will not be for sale for Australian Steam accounts. Even if you buy a boxed version, I bet you won't be able to activate it on your Steam account. The only way I can see you getting around that is to create a new Steam account through a US proxy (they DO check the IP address to see what country you're in), and assign a US credit card. Not only that, there will likely be no ISP-based L4D2 servers (although the dedicated servers may be exempt from classification).

If this gets any worse, or if Conroy's retarded "clean feed" filter goes ahead, I think I shall be leaving the country.