Left 4 Dead 2 Ban Surprised, Saddened Valve

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
This is why ratings systems exist. If your going to censor and ban anyway you don't need a ratings system to put age limits on things.

The Australian government is the new Jack Thompson.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
Crash486 said:
Uhh, yes it does (belong in TF2 that is). The game is really paying homage to it's Team Fortress Classic past which was cartoony in the sense of the physics were that of the quake/halflife engine, while mature and bloody at the sametime. In this case, the game is cartoonish as far as art direction goes, but they kept the maturity of TFC by leaving in the gore.
There's a difference between mature gore and immature gore though. A game doesn't need adult material to be mature, and having too much adult material just pushes it back over to immature. I agree that the blood should be a part of TF2, and definitely a part of L4D2, but they have to make sure they don't go completely overboard and have massive amounts of gore for every little wound.

Back on topic. It's a shame about it being banned in Australia. There's still time for it to be rated, but it probably won't.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
That's one step to rid the world of rapid-fire sequels instead of actually adding to the first game.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Anyone want to place bets on how long it will be before Australia has total censorship? Makes me glad I live in America.

Edit: Also, this is why you should never let the government rate things.

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
The one thing I thought was L4D2 banned in Australia + Yahtzee in Australia = No L4D2 Zero Punctuation unless someone supplies him with a copy from another region and a console to play it

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Surely there must be ways of overruling him. If not your legal system is utter shit, there's no excuse for why one single person can have that much power.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
paragon1 said:
Anyone want to place bets on how long it will be before Australia has total censorship? Makes me glad I live in America.

Yeah, because America is totally devoid of politicians looking to get super tight video game restrictions, right?

Shit, nevermind.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
Radeonx said:
How about, instead of zombies and guns, we use unicorns and pillows. Won't that be fun?
No, you may choke on the feathers from the pillows.
Harassing a creature that is 9/10ths a Horse?! Animal cruelty!

All Australia really needs is an R18 Classification for games, though I guess these twits would find some other way to poo in the nation's pudding if they couldn't apply pseudo-bans wherever they felt our wholesome beer and strip club man culture was being threatened.

So my question is basically twofold. Who is/are the person/people responsible for the final decision on such matters, and how do we get them sacked for not having the fortitude to act?

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
Radeonx said:
How about, instead of zombies and guns, we use unicorns and pillows. Won't that be fun?
No, you may choke on the feathers from the pillows.
Don't forget the horns can accidently stab you, and having hornless unicorns is to violent because every would know they were cut off.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Woodsey said:
That makes no sense. If it's not suitable for people under 18 (i.e. children, although I hate saying that as I'm 15 and perfectly able to play an 18) then why not rate it 18+ ? How are the Australians so behind on this?

So much for the supposed care free look they give out.

That was an Australia-directed facepalm, just so you know.

Apparently, you fail to grasp the brilliant logic that SILLY RABBIT, GAMES ARE FOR KIDS!

Movies in Australia are for adults. Internet sites are for adults. Books are for adults. Games are not for adults! They are only for kids! They must always be suitable for kids to play! SO SAYS THE GREAT MICHAEL ATKINSON!

Natmiel

Sep 18, 2009
It's like the tone-down of the Australian copy of GTA4. We get screwed constantly. And yet, to my understanding, our film classification is more lenient. Retarded, eh?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
paragon1 said:

Yeah, because America is totally devoid of politicians looking to get super tight video game restrictions, right?

Shit, nevermind.
Ugh. Stop reminding me she exists.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Amnestic said:
paragon1 said:

Shit, nevermind.
It's not that so much as there isn't shit they can do except for make a fuss. The ESRB's existence pretty much preempts any kind of government regulation, and they're not going to be making decisions for political gain.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
"All games must be suitable for kids under 18... Because the people of Australia are a sheep based people after all the outback bestiality and thus unable to do anything but what they are told. Even myself, as head of Office of Film and Literature Classification, find that if a flickering set of lights tell me that I must kill my mother, I am compelled to obey. Luckily, somebody beside me was chanting really loud to overcome the message and turned off the television set before I did something I would regret and then blame on an inanimate object.

The sheer horror and realization that parenting is useless in raising kids and that the flicking light box's messages must be contained lest anarchy rule has moved me to this great cause. We cannot ever be held responsible for our actions thus must continue the long march towards a fully functioning nanny state. We hope to have the government controlled and compulsory diapers for all citizens before the end of the year."

Ya, whenever I read about Australia chattering about more censorship, that is what I hear. Why do the Australian public put up with this kind of intellectual insult?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Maybe we should like, launch a petition to the government or something. I would, but I do not know how.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
kawligia said:
I am more than sure they do. I think it's clear what is really going on. They don't like sex and violence and they don't want ANYONE to see it. "Protecting the children" is nothing more than a disguise.
Hypocrites I say. Australia joined the US in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have fought many wars over the years, so they're not pacifists, and I'm sure those legislators are sticking their tallywackers in SOMETHING for sexual release.

Clik

Sep 18, 2009
The Problem in Australia is that we don't have a R18+ rating for video games. This means that any game that doesn't fit under MA15+ gets banned. Fallout 3 fell victim to this for a while, and hopefully L4D2 will be the catalyst to finally get an R18+ rating here in Australia.

But we must look at the problem evenly. Already children under 15 are getting hold of games like GTA. We can't honestly say that kids will be getting hold of R18+ games and playing them. Also we should try to figure out why we need so much realistic gore. In my and several of my friends' opinions Call of Duty 4 had the ideal level of realism for gore, providing a visual cue to show that we'd hit the person, but not showing us intestines and so on. So ask yourself why we need gore for these games.

On the flipside, the majority of gamers today are over 18, and should be entitled to choose what to play on a free, open and democratic market. Why should gamers be restricted to kiddy friendly games? There's an R18+ classification for movies, an explicit classification for music, and no restrictions on books, so why should games be stunted as a medium?

I myself support the latter view.