Left 4 Dead 2 Twice as Infectious as the Original

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Left 4 Dead 2 Twice as Infectious as the Original

Sales of Left 4 Dead 2 have doubled those of the original game, as Valve's zombie-killing shooter has moved two million copies since its mid-November launch.

The initial controversy over whether or not Left 4 Dead 2 was different enough to warrant being a standalone game seems to have done nothing to slow down sales - probably because it doesn't change the fact that it's just a damn good game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6810-Review-Left-4-Dead-2] - as twice as many people have joined the zombie-hunting frenzy as the last time around, Valve announced earlier today.

The game has sold more than two million copies since its launch two weeks ago, and according to Valve VP of Marketing Doug Lombardi, it seems that there's a pretty even split between the Xbox 360 and the PC, as more than a million Xbox Live Gold users have been busy chainsawing zombies in the face.

Lombardi also hinted that we would be getting news about L4D2 DLC "very soon," which in Valve-speak means that we can probably expect the news sometime in late January. Perhaps said DLC will be the rumored "Miracle" and "Apocalyptic" packs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95830-Fans-Find-Left-4-Dead-2-DLC-Hints-in-Demo-Code] hinted at in the game's demo code, but then again perhaps not.

The datamining that uncovered the aforementioned DLC hints also revealed that the game includes character selection art for the four Survivors from the first L4D, which could be an indication that any DLC would allow both quartets to team up to fight the Infected. Hopefully not all at once, though - we've seen what the game looks like with too many Survivors, and it ain't pretty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96303-Left-16-Dead-Doesnt-Go-Very-Well].

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The initial controversy over whether or not Left 4 Dead 2 seems to have done nothing to slow down sales
Whether or not Left 4 Dead 2...what? :p

I've not picked up my copy yet, but I will do eventually. I thoroughly enjoyed the first and I'm sure I'll enjoy the second if the demo was anything to go by.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
The original Left 4 Dead is still a great game. I still miss the old survivors even after playing L4D2 more often.

[small] It's just not the same without Francis's "I hate lines.... [/small]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Amnestic said:
The initial controversy over whether or not Left 4 Dead 2 seems to have done nothing to slow down sales

I've not picked up my copy yet, but I will do eventually. I thoroughly enjoyed the first and I'm sure I'll enjoy the second if the demo was anything to go by.
Clearly, the controversy over whether or not LEft 4 Dead 2 would remember to complete its sentences.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Amnestic said:

Clearly, the controversy over whether or not Left 4 Dead 2 would remember to complete its sentences.
Just imagine the sales numbers of CoD: MewTwo had that kind of controversy!

VincentX3 said:
[small] It's just not the same without Francis's "I hate lines.... [/small]
Francis: "Did I ever tell you guys how I felt about helicopters?"
Zoey: "Do you...hate them?"
Francis: "Hey, I guess I did tell you!"

Oh he told us. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9f-VVQK3k&feature=related]

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
we've seen what the game looks like with too many Survivors, and it ain't pretty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96303-Left-16-Dead-Doesnt-Go-Very-Well].
Except that that was just a proof of concept video and people will make maps that DO work with 32 players in it. Stop needlessly attacking the modding community.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Asehujiko said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
we've seen what the game looks like with too many Survivors, and it ain't pretty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96303-Left-16-Dead-Doesnt-Go-Very-Well].
Except that that was just a proof of concept video and people will make maps that DO work with 32 players in it. Stop needlessly attacking the modding community.
Who's attacking the what now?

Take that chip off of your shoulder.

dark_taint92

That's Cap'n Taint to you
Jan 26, 2009
Furburt said:
Damn yes!

Thats good. Finally a game I actually like sells millions.

And what does 'suck the heads' mean?
he says sucking eggs (thats what i thought because he says after it it aint nothin bad its about eating)
hell yes this game has sold well. ive yet to buy it but buy it i will.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im not surprised by this news actually. L4D2 has made a good amount of improvement from its first installment. Plus you had the word of mouth from the first and its pre-establishment.

Glad to see the game getting some positive news for once after all the controvasy prior to its release.

Go go L4D2!

RyVal

May 19, 2009
Cue a whole month of video game websites smugly yelling "We told you so!" and drowning the Internet in L4D2-related articles.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Asehujiko said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
To be fair, the vid did look a bit frantic. I couldn't watch it all the way through, the multitude of coughing survivors was too much for me...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I think a major factor in this was the ridiculously low prices of this game on Black Friday, I saw most places selling the PC version for $30 and 360/PS3 for $35. Tack on other deals like amazon's discover discount and I personally picked it up for $20.

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Furburt said:
Damn yes!

It's how you eat a certain kind of fish in New Orleans (I don't remember what kind). You'd bite off the head and suck out the body's contents.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
JugglerPanda said:
Furburt said:
Damn yes!

It's how you eat a certain kind of fish in New Orleans (I don't remember what kind). You'd bite off the head and suck out the body's contents.
You're thinking of crawdads, which are not fish but actually small crustaceans. "Suck the heads" refers to sucking the juices out of the head after cracking open the crawdad, as it is very tasty.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
L4D deserves it. 'Nuff said.

JugglerPanda said:
Furburt said:
Damn yes!

I think its crawfish?

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
JugglerPanda said:
Furburt said:
Damn yes!

You're thinking of crawdads, which are not fish but actually small crustaceans. "Suck the heads" refers to sucking the juices out of the head after cracking open the crawdad, as it is very tasty.
I knew it had something to do with sucking and heads and aquatic animals :x

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Has nobody found [a href="http://www.midnight-riders.com/"]this hint[/a] of DLC? If you've done the second campaign, you know what it's about.